Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
just looking for some opinions, what sort of mileage should I get out of a set of rear types on a 4.0 v8 s type? The car seems to be eating them. Last winter I had a set of almost new winter tyres on my winter wheels and they lasted the winter season (down to basically illegal). My summer tyres have just done about the same - managed maybe 5000 - 6000 on them. I don't consider myself hard on the tyres. Is there anything that can be leading to the wear or is it just normal.
I know I probably need 4 wheel aligning as the wear is slightly uneven.
Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
Good alignment is very important. Even if it is slightly out there will be significant extra wear as the tyres are effectively dragging not rolling.

The type and quality of the tyres are also contributing factors. Some tyres are designed to last longer.

The state of suspension components can also have an effect, for example, worn shocks increase tyre wear. Worn bushes increase out-of-alignment.

For reference, my car from late 2000 has done 55k miles or so and has been through the original 16" Continental EcoContacts, halfway through the Goodyear F1s that replaced them and I have about 4mm on the 18" Goodyear F1As that replaced them when I fancied bigger wheels. So I'm getting over 20k mile per set. 5-6k is very low.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have 4 wheel alignment done. the garage that did I did a certain amount of adjustments in the standard price and then extra adjustments were extra on top. the actual wear across the tyre is fairly even.
the current tyres are pirelli p7's.
the car does seen to kick horribly on potholes etc.
for reference it is a 2000 reg with 85000 ish on the clock.
what tyres are good?

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
I had a set of new tyres fitted to my Prado, plus 4-wheel alignment, in Feb.

Big mistake, the alignment.

I noticed yesterday my front tyres are wearing on the inside already.

It could be suspension bushes of course.

However, the operators here and in the UK believe blindly and set the tracking to Zero +/- whatever on the "puter".

Only a now-dead operator or two once knew we needed to set most cars to 0.25° to 0.5° toe-in to get the car to go straight without splayed wheels.

I have had many arguments with tyre people and had to relieve them of all responsibility before they would do as I asked. Including on my late beloved Merc.

So I'm going to check my suspension first, then probably have to set mine myself with a pair of long straight aluminium bars, rather than stress myself arguing yet again with some other plonker trying to tell me I'm wrong.

For long life you need harder rubber.

But you won't get the full grip of soft rubber which will give you shortest life.

Michelins used to give me up to 40k miles, Dunlop and Pirelli around 20-25k miles. Hankook have given me good life on the Prado. Grip isn't so determinable on such a truck though but I've not noticed anything bad.

On your car every blip of throttle is going to skim your rear tyres!

Enjoy or ease off. ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Can't speak for the V8, but my 2.7d which has some spirited driving, did 20,000 miles on a pair of Avon ZZ5 245/40 R18 97Y rear tyres. No obvious wear on the tyre edges but the centre of the tread goes very flat and tends to wear down to the limiters first. I get more obvious tracking wear on the front tyres, particularly on the inner edge which I think is quite common.

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,626 Posts
Wearing in the middle = needs more air.
l always thought wear in the middle of a tyre was caused by over inflation? :idea:

·
Registered
‘56 reg Midnight Black Jaguar S Type R
51 Posts
'56 STR re-shod 4 years ago with Dunlops on 19" wheels. They have covered just over 20,000 miles and all still comfortably legal. Front and rears have worn equally. Pressures 34 fronts and 38 rears.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Those pressures seem high chaps, I have a 2004 2.7 diesel and the handbook says 31 psi all round so I run them at 30 and get prity even wear.

RC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.