Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2009 XKR and unsurprisingly the rears need replacing after about 3000 miles - cheap ones put on by the dealer to sell. I'm not keen on wasting money but I do want a good level of grip, so what are the best mid range tyres? Khumo, hankook, vredstein, that sort of level?

· Registered
1,475 Posts
I had Hankook Ventus Evo 2's on my N/A 4.2 XJ and they only lasted 7000 miles, so switched to Avons and they seem better

· Registered
1,457 Posts
I've always headed for Falken on my other cars, but not sure if they do the right size for an XK.

· Administrator
10,099 Posts
I just stuck with the Dunlop’s that were supposed to be fitted by Jaguar, I only changed them once in the 21k miles I drove my XK for and the rears were down to 3mm when I sold it.

· Registered
621 Posts
I always prefer to stick to OEM's.

My previous XKR had Dunlops and they seemed to last over 20,000 miles before needing replacing. My current car has Pirellis which are still in very good nick after some 22,500 miles.

OEM's may seem expensive at the point of purchase, but they tend to give you more mileage and are often better suited to the design and characteristics of the car. If you decide to go with OEM, shop around for deals instead of paying circa £300 per corner. On EBay, you could pick a set of 4 for around £700.00 - £800.00. Just make sure they are "in date".

· Registered
753 Posts
I just stuck with the Dunlop's that were supposed to be fitted by Jaguar, I only changed them once in the 21k miles I drove my XK for and the rears were down to 3mm when I sold it.
I agree with Ian had AVONs on the rear but now got Dunlop Sp sports they seem to defy mileage done 14K on them and there's still plenty of meat left.

· Registered
1,967 Posts
I still have the same Pirelli P Zero's (all round) that came with the car. I have owned it for nearly a year, and covered 6000 miles. The tyres still look new, and have plenty of tread. I do not anticipate any problems when I take it for the MOT next month.

I have 2009 XKR and unsurprisingly the rears need replacing after about 3000 miles - cheap ones put on by the dealer to sell. I'm not keen on wasting money but I do want a good level of grip, so what are the best mid range tyres? Khumo, hankook, vredstein, that sort of level?

· Registered
12 Posts
I agree with 8bit, I inherited a set of Dunlops (admittedly 5 years old) on my 5.0 XKR, which were very slippery and although not worn out, replaced them with a set of Vredstein Ultrac Vorti, which have been great, transforming the car, very sticky.

· Registered
152 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot PS2 all round on mine...

The grip is fantastic when warm much better than the Dunlops that were on it when I bought it... they were only slightly more expensive...

· Registered
90 Posts
I've always headed for Falken on my other cars, but not sure if they do the right size for an XK.
I've recently fitted a full set of the FK510s and so far so good. Had Vreds on the back and they lasted barely 7k!!

· Super Moderator
6,477 Posts
The latest Dunlop RT2 tyres are much improved over the RTs which were originally fitted. Changed mine last year and very happy with them.
IIRC, the RT is not that old. The original tyre was the SP SportMaxx. The RT is better and the RT2 better still.

Another good allrounder is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. In controlled tests, it seems to be as good or better than the RT2. It is now available in the 285/30-20 which was the common option for the 5.0 XKR.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.