Regular Intermittent noise 2.2d x type

Metaphor

Reaction score
Hello I'm the new guy here and on the hunt for an x type 2.2 diesel estate, of which I have found a near showroom condition 2006, 118,000 miles, fsh ect ect....the car is manual transmission also.

I have zero experience with these cars.

The car in question drives great, pulls well in all 6 gears. While the car was stationary and running at idle speed I can hear a very regular intermittent change in the engine noise. So regular it alternates between this sound every 7 seconds and is coming from the left hand side of the engine when viewed from the front with the bonnet up, alternator side of engine.

This is not a random irregular noise change, it's very regular. The rpm appears unaffected, I did not increase the revs to assess if this continued throughout the range.

Any feedback appreciated.

RWD3M

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Idler pulley?

Not sure if it's the right area for this but it is a very common, easily fixed, problem on X Type diesels.

Metaphor

Reaction score
It may also be the Aircon compressor as these cars are normally run with it set to auto at all times.

Roger
It is indeed, after watching the videos on the aux belts I viewed the car again and turned the ac off. And all was normal, bit of slapping on the pulleys but generally reasonable. Noticed the temperature is a bit iffy , slow to warm up and drops even more when heater on.

x-files

Reaction score
Good call Roger !

OP Check the sills under the plastic covers, clearly you can't take them off before you buy it, but look straight up with a good light and look for significant bubbling.
When you test drive it make sure you boot it hard under load (hill) and be sure no coil light comes on, indicating a problem ranging from cheap to very expensive.

Euan Tausney

Reaction score
I would say the noise is the AC compressor cutting in/out, but belt slapping could be a worn belt tensioner, very common fault. I fitted in OAP to the alternator & my belt now runs smooth as anything.

Metaphor

Reaction score
Good call Roger !

OP Check the sills under the plastic covers, clearly you can't take them off before you buy it, but look straight up with a good light and look for significant bubbling.
When you test drive it make sure you boot it hard under load (hill) and be sure no coil light comes on, indicating a problem ranging from cheap to very expensive.
Sills all good, managed to tuck my hands up behind the covers and the whole length of both sills are seemingly hole, bubble and rust free. The intermittent noise was the ac pump, I'm guessing the pump engaging contributes to the belt/pulley issue. The car is in pretty good shape for the year so took a punt and bought it after a second look and extended test drive. Some minor clunks over mild pot holes at low speed, feels and sounds alot like ABR or drop links. The car has been cherished, interior has zero wear, body is dink free and has not had a spit of repair/paint. Fluids all clean, brakes look recent all round. 118k on a 2006 plate

Last edited: