Removing rust spots in hidden areas (80's XJ-S)

dobson156

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 85 XJ-S with metallic paint and I am rectifying all of the faults the previous owner was oblivious to.

Having taken back some of the trim, I've found some rust spots which are not normally visible that I'd like to address before putting the trim back.

My plan is as follows:
  1. Carefully grind out the surface rust using a wire wheel on a Dremel.
  2. Apply jenolite converter over the area to neutralise any oxidation the Dremel can't get to.
  3. Prime the area (see below question)
  4. Paint & clear coat.
Does sound like the right tact? And if so what primer would you recommend - I am new to paint work and my research has lead to be conclude my options are:
  • U-Pol 8
  • Red Oxide
  • Expoxy primer
Any input is greatly appreciated.

SV8Predator

Reaction score
I don't think you can blame the previous owner!
Your plan sounds fine. I would also look at the POR 15 products (Paint On Rust):

dobson156

Reaction score
Oh no I doubt. The previous owner was pretty cool and had owned it from the day one; but like a parent and their children I think he saw over the cars faults... which are now making themselves known to me!

Whilst the rust spots are hidden they are on coloured coat paint. I need as much practice as possible on applying this base coat before I get onto some of the more visible panels.

...so I just need to decide between the primers listed?

dobson156

Reaction score
Oh, and it's my intention to use POR15 on the sub frames, when I get round to dealing with those!