Jaguar Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening gents,

I'm getting my wood dash trims piano black wrapped so wondered has anyone on here ever removed the dash trims themselves and if so, are there any hidden fixing or does it all simply pull off?

Thanks in advance
Mike

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
I removed the wood veneer in my car and replaced it with aluminium trim. It's best to use an interior removal tool as it's safer and won't risk snapping the fixings.

passenger airbag trim has 6 tangs and just pops off, easiest with glove box open.
instrument panel trim has 4 tangs and pulls off easiest from the vent side first.
Touchscreen trim has a gap for your finger in the lower right corner, just put in a finger and pull.
Centre console trim is done easiest with the gear selector in Neutral. Place the interior removal tool in the left hand side of the trim with the ashtray cover slid back. Then ease the panel up and unclip the starter and ASL button.
Ashtray lid unclips off with the tray slid slightly forward and quickly push the cover and you'll see it move.

Not hard, just delicate and time consuming.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I pulled the trims easily in the end but having wrapped some of it with 3m Gloss vinyl, I'm not happy with the finish. I love the black in place of the wood but there are too many little imperfections in the vinyl, like minor hairline scratching to look good enough in a quality car and I'm a bit picky too so I'd never be happy.

So tomorrow, will be doing the job properly with a decent paint and lacquer finish. There'll be no going back ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Make a minor investment and take them to a body shop for a proper paint job.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well jobs now done, rubbed everything down and cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol, a coat of isolating primer, one coat of filler primer,two coats of colour and two coats of 2K clear.

I think they'll be up to Jag standards ;) and a massive improvement over the vinyl wrap. Also picked up a chrome gear selector surround today so should lift the interior quite nicely, although not going to fit anything for a good 24hrs to give the paint time to harden off a bit.

View attachment 19935

View attachment 19934

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
You've done a great job with that trim! Should look great when fitted.

The chrome surround looks a lot better than the tungsten coloured one.

I also added that to my car too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You've done a great job with that trim! Should look great when fitted.

The chrome surround looks a lot better than the tungsten coloured one.

I also added that to my car too.
Where can the i get the chrome surround , would love that, does it just clip off.

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
It's held on by one large metal clip that goes around the entire edge of it to force out the clips. Remove the centre console trim, unclip the large clip, remembering which way it goes and replace with the chrome surround then refit the centre console trim.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's held on by one large metal clip that goes around the entire edge of it to force out the clips. Remove the centre console trim, unclip the large clip, remembering which way it goes and replace with the chrome surround then refit the centre console trim.
So the whole center console just pulls off is that what you mean then fit the surround. You never mentioned where you got the chrome gear surround, dont seem to see one for sale

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
I bought the chrome surround direct from Jaguar, yeah just lift off the centre console trim and you'll notice straight away how to fit it.

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
Part No is: C2P14202 and it's only £27.61 incl vat from Jaguar.

I usually get 10% discount off parts, so it was even less.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Sacrilege!
But each to their own I guess. At least it wasn't Burr Walnut you sprayed over.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I'm with Stagnite on this. I have always associated Jaguar with wood. I had brushed aluminium in my XFS, but am pleased to have the wood in my XK. Each to their own: Thank goodness we are not all the same!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Part No is: C2P14202 and it's only £27.61 incl vat from Jaguar.
Thanks for the part number. I am tempted to get one myself for my '07 but when I Google it most of the hits are for 2010 on cars. The JEPC agrees with you though so I wonder why so many suppliers are listing it incorrectly?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can't see any on ebay uk, its on this website
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/281152/5497/finisher_con

I was looking for the aluminium growler gear knob, and it is nearly double the price in the UK than the US, don't know why. Where in the UK does the cheapest one.JAGUAR OEM C2P9343 Automatic Trans Shift Knob Aluminum

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.