Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I ask for a bit of advice....Please accept my apologies in advance as this will probably be a little long-winded but please bare with me...

Last Thursday morning, while driving along the motorway, I had a message displayed that said 'Restricted Performance' and quite quickly the car started reducing in speed to such an extent that I struggled to get accross to the hard-shoulder. At this point I should mention that I had this same mesage a few days earlier but the performance wasn't reduced and it hadn't appeard again until this most recent occurance.

Unlike previously however, this time the car would not start back up again. As such I was stuck with little alternative other than to call out the AA. (The car is out of warranty & not covered by Jag Assst etc).

When the recovery company arrived, they needed to get the car out of park mode so that it could be winched up onto the flatbed truck...The chap said that he had recovered other XF's before & that the manual overide was a lever at the back of the centre console......The car was then winched aboard the truck and we took it to the Jag dealer in Slough.

Now the fun starts.....I then got a call saying that they couldn't start the car as it needed a new Auto Gear Selector module and that this alone would cost c£400 but that this may or may not be the cause of the initial problem...Obviously I had to tell them to go ahead & complete this so that the car could, hopefully then be fully fixed. The following day (Last Friday) I then get a call from the garage saying that this issue wasn't the reason for the 'Restricted Performance' issue and that I needed a new fuel pump/part to sort the original problem out & that this was going to be another £500.

My issue with all of this is that from my perspective, I don't believe here was anything wrong with the gear selector module at the point of breaking down and that as such, I don't believe that this was something that I should have been charged with, although the garage will argue that they had to fit this part to get the car started...

I would welcome anyones thoughts/comments with regard to this.....I'll be hopefully picking the car uplater today and will be looking to have this 'conversation' with somebody at a reasonably senior level when I'm asked to pay the bill....

Many Thanks

P

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would have expected them to read the fault codes to diagnose the fuelling problem and this surely doesn't need the engine to be running, just the systems turned on. This diagnosis should have been done first of all, and any fault with the selector logged as a separate issue. I can't see how the two problems are connected so you may just have been been unlucky to get both at once.
HOWEVER, the problem of the selector sticking in park is well known and well documented for early XFs and faulty units have been replaced FOC under warranty by Jaguar. It's a design/manufacturing fault and if yours has not been replaced before then I'd suggest that you insist that Jaguar replace it with an updated version without charge, even outside warranty, because of the known defect in the original. At worst they should offer some sort of deal and if they won't offer any help then it's worth taking it up with head office - but search the forums for solid evidence first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just by way of an update, Jaguar kindly agreed to refund the selector module part cost as well as the labour costs to fit the same. Very pleased with the outcome and I believe Jaguar were more than fair with this.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.