Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the shocks on my 2.0d, and the difference before and after is out of this world, literally.

My car is now about 195000 Km, shocks were never changed (stupid, I know, but I just didn't thing about it).

Before I really had trouble on highway while passing trucks at high speed, the wind would shake the car a lot. Now, I don't feel the truck *at all*. I pass them with high speed, and it is like they are not there!

Accelerating or braking made the nose dive. Now that doesn't happen at all.

Tire wear was significant. I am pretty sure now that bad shocks destroyed two sets of tires.

After installing new shocks, the car is absolutely calm and solid. A lot of road vibration just went away! I feel like I am driving a solid granite brick.

These are the shocks I got installed (I also installed the strut bearings):

BILSTEIN - B4 OE Replacement - FRONT - 22-053596
BILSTEIN - B4 OE Replacement - REAR - 24-064927
SACHS - SACHS 801043

For precise shocks (there are many models for X-Types: sedan, shooting brake, standard, sport, performance upgrade..) check here:

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/defaul...8004&12=101&52=1&30=56&1250=1&1230=9997&1231=

· Registered
362 Posts
Did you change all four?

· Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, If anyone is interested, cost of shocks and Sachs bearings was 320 EUR.

· Registered
52 Posts
I'm thinking of changing mine, are these the same spec as OEM?

· Registered
2,042 Posts
These are items that are often overlooked. Only attended to or replaced if spring snapped , leaking shocks etc.

My workhorse Mondeo ST Tdci broke a few springs over the years , I just bought another leg off eBay , fitted and away it went again.

A few years back I found a full set of front and rear springs and shocks , Sachs / Monroe , cannot remember now , on eBay Germany.

I think they were around £300 delivered from memory , put them all together ( came with Mayle top bearing caps as well )

After fitting these one weekend when the enthusiasm arrived , the difference was amazing and stability improved greatly as you have seen.

· Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are completely right about it. Difference in stability is dramatic. The funny part is that I checked the shock and they were rated as 70-80% good, the same as the brand new ones are tested. All this on local MOT test.

I got used to new shocks tho, the ride is fantastic. Rarely is some car more comfortable than my X-Type.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
i was thinking of getting Blistein B6 all round for mine, B6 are a bit firmer than the B4, and they are a monotube, where as the B4 are twin tube.

· Registered
52 Posts
Thanks,

I have found the following part numbers for my car with the sport suspension

B4 OE Replacement - FRONT 22-053602
B4 OE Replacement - REAR 24-062657

What are the recommend springs?

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
You definitely need the Mono Tube if you are changing. Bigger internal piston means better damping control.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.