Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only got one set of keys for my 02 S type, can i buy just any S type fob and re programme it? Or is it like the mercedes that needs to be programmed by main dealer?
Thanks tony

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
You can buy a complete key blade and fob but the key needs to be cut and the chip needs to be programmed to the car for it to start using JLR/SDD. The fob can be programmed manually to perform it's functions quite easily though without JLR/SDD.

Roger

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i shall start looking for a new key and fob then find some one to cut it.

You can buy a complete key blade and fob but the key needs to be cut and the chip needs to be programmed to the car for it to start using JLR/SDD. The fob can be programmed manually to perform it's functions quite easily though without JLR/SDD.

Roger

·
Premium Member
23,827 Posts
Timpsons in town will be able to cut it for you Tony when you get one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Jim, then just have to follow the instructions to get it programmed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just got back in from timpsons, they say you cannot self programme the fob and that it has to be done at a main dealer as its a brand new fob..... any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
23,827 Posts
As Roger stated earlier Tony, pretty sure it’s the chip in the key that needs the dealer, the fob you should be able to do yourself.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting totally confused now? So if i buy a new fob with key that needs to be cut, i can programme the fob, but i will also need to take it to a main dealer to get it programmed by them as well?

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Getting totally confused now? So if i buy a new fob with key that needs to be cut, i can programme the fob, but i will also need to take it to a main dealer to get it programmed by them as well?
The key and fob are two separate parts. The fob buttons (lower portion )can be programmed yourself. The chip (upper part containing the key) has a chip that has to be programmed to the car before it will start the engine.

Roger

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The fob part which locks/unlocks the car can be programmed by you, but for it to start the car with the blade, it will need programming using IDS/SDD software.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, think I'll just put up with only having the one key, way too much hassle to sort this out.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
All the manual functions that you can use the key for, lock/unlock doors, open/close windows, turn lights on/off, open boot, can be programmed by you in just 2 minutes & it's easy to do. The passive function that disables the immobiliser & stops the alarm activating if you do open a door - that is what needs to be programmed with dealer level software. A good indy will sort it out if you don't want to use a dealer. Worth doing & not any hassle at all, really.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Timpson should be able to make you a Tibbe cloned key that will start the car , no remote functions though.

When you open the car with the key you will need to get it in the ignition and turned on within 15 seconds to stop the alarm going off.

The cloned key has a battery in it and produces exactly the same transponder hand shake as your original key , around £45

As above post , if you lose your only key it will cost you a lot more from a dealer / other to rectify.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Timpson should be able to make you a Tibbe cloned key that will start the car , no remote functions though.

When you open the car with the key you will need to get it in the ignition and turned on within 15 seconds to stop the alarm going off.

The cloned key has a battery in it and produces exactly the same transponder hand shake as your original key , around £45

As above post , if you lose your only key it will cost you a lot more from a dealer / other to rectify.
That's a new one on me. The key transponder does not use a battery. It is read by the receiver around the ignition to cancel the immobilizer. I believe the code is a rolling code so perhaps the 15 second may be something to do with that. Turning the key in the door lock will turn the alarm off.
The fob has the battery purely for the fob functions.
Roger

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Roger,
The key that Timpson provide has a battery to save and produce on demand the cloned transponder ID.
A normal transponder is energised by the induction from the barrel power ring , the transponder frequency doesn't change.
When the clone key senses the barrel induction is on it sends out the cloned authentication.
As this key is cloned , it doesn't allow you to program a further key as the ID is the same.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I have had a Jaguar key cloned in Poland by a Locksmith. He cloned the transponder and the fob and before anybody says it will not work I have been using this key for over a year and there is no problem. It cost me a 100 Euros including Key and cutting and took 10 mins.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
As usual, avoiding the dealer at all costs can cost you more.

My local dealer, Lancaster Jaguar Reading charged me only half an hour, £66 to reprogramme both my keys when I first bought the car.

They wouldn't open or lock the car so I had to open the door with the blade.

The car alarm will bong and give you 15-20 seconds to turn on the ignition before the horns blare.

Simple.

Buy one or more keys, get the blade(s) cut, call your dealer for a price to programme the keys.

Peace on earth, goodwill to all men! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.