Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

My XFS has developed a resonance felt at 1750rpm - 2000rpm, mainly when cold and pulling away, less so at cruising speeds. Its only in that rev range. It did something very similar on test drive a year ago and was an aircon pipe which Stratstone replaced before I bought the car. Think the pipe runs across bulkhead. I booked it into main dealer recently as under warranty and they were shocking. Anyone else had this issue or something similar with theirs? The resonance/vibration comes through cabin, doesn't affect performance or anything, its just a little annoying. Planning to get car up on my own ramps and see if I can see anything.

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
Could it be the same pipe again Bob or something similar.

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
Wouldn’t take much for a loose heat shield to start rattling. Good thinking.:mrgreen:

· Registered
1,306 Posts
I had a "whooshing" sound on the old XFS at around 1,500 rpm with some vibration which felt like it was coming from under the centre console. More pronounced under acceleration and only when the car was cold, once warmed up or the revs went over 2,000 it went away.
All my research told me it was the fuel pipes resonating or rubbing (ie they hit a resonant frequency), there are three of them that pass under the cabin. It wasn't a big enough annoyance to me to bother getting it fixed as that involved replacing all three pipes at quite some expense (lots of labour involved). Years ago it was a warranty fix but I doubt there are many XFs left with this problem that are still under warranty.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Worth checking out though. How do I check them to see if thats the cause?

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Worth checking out though. How do I check them to see if thats the cause?
I'm not sure how you would check.
Maybe have a passenger put their ear to the console?
Although all that would do is confirm the noise you are already hearing and not determine the cause of it.
You could try putting it up on a hoist then have someone below check the pipes while the engine is still cold, while someone else tickles the accelerator to get the revs in the resonant range. But that might not work without the engine under some load.
I also recall that when I researched this (about 3 years ago now) replacing the 3 pipes didn't work on all cars with these symptoms.

· Registered
1,692 Posts
If the aircon pipe was responsible last time id' be checking that. Does it do it with the aircon switched off? (The pipe not pressurised).

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been down to see Grange in Welwyn today and the tech came for a drive with me. Its under warranty so its booked in for checking out what it could be. Its not the tyres or lowered suspension as Lancaster Jag fobbed me off with!

Resonance only happens under load and with or without air con running. If you rev the car to 1750 while stationary you don't get the resonance.

· Registered
314 Posts
Been down to see Grange in Welwyn today and the tech came for a drive with me. Its under warranty so its booked in for checking out what it could be. Its not the tyres or lowered suspension as Lancaster Jag fobbed me off with!

Resonance only happens under load and with or without air con running. If you rev the car to 1750 while stationary you don't get the resonance.
I don't think its the same but may be worth checking. When I accelerated hard above 3000 the car hesitated like it was coughing only when driven. Had used an indy in north London for a while who could not find cause of problem, my indy in Kent (Colliers Wood) pointed out that there was an add on performance box fitted I didn't know about. Unplugged it and took it off and now it's perfect.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car is in today at Grange in Welwyn. Hoping they can fix it and the resonance is doing my nut in.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still no closer to understanding the issue. Don't like the the thought of having to spend £££ on labour to find the cause despite it being under warranty. Escalated to CRC.

· Registered
240 Posts
I had a "whooshing" sound on the old XFS at around 1,500 rpm with some vibration which felt like it was coming from under the centre console. More pronounced under acceleration and only when the car was cold, once warmed up or the revs went over 2,000 it went away.
All my research told me it was the fuel pipes resonating or rubbing (ie they hit a resonant frequency), there are three of them that pass under the cabin. It wasn't a big enough annoyance to me to bother getting it fixed as that involved replacing all three pipes at quite some expense (lots of labour involved). Years ago it was a warranty fix but I doubt there are many XFs left with this problem that are still under warranty.
My car, a 59 reg 3ltr diesel suffered from the fuel pipe resonance when I bought in 2013 at just over 3 yrs old. Jaguar customer relations didn't want to know, but Stratstone fixed it without any argument when I told them what the problem was and how to fixt it! (all info gained from 1 forum or another)The problem was one of noise only (described by another sufferer as a "hoovering" sound) not a vibration that could be felt and it happened, I think, only at around 1100/1200 rpm which unfortunately coincided with the 30 or 40 mph limits. The noise certainly didn't last for 500rpm. The cost to fix it back in 2013 was about £5-600 at dealer rates. I could dig out the part nos if needed but I would doubt that the fuel pipes are the problem from the details given by the original poster Also I see that his car is a 62 reg and I would have thought that Jaguar had by then incorporated the fix into production.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi, I have the resonance problem just as you describe, it has been going on for a few years now but no one has managed to diagnose the problem, the strange thing is that it only occurs during the warm weather never in the winter, I have just learned to live with it. Phil

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The resonance on mine only started in September. Its very similar to a resonance felt on a test drive back in 2016 which when reported got fixed before I picked car up. Its so annoying because every time you pull away its in the rev range where you'll get the noise and I think its just uncool to have a car like this resonating. I'm not sure mine is the fuel pipe resonation. Can fuel pipe resonation be heard while stationary if you enter the rev range? Mine only happens under load, not stationary.

· Registered
240 Posts
The resonance on mine only started in September. Its very similar to a resonance felt on a test drive back in 2016 which when reported got fixed before I picked car up. Its so annoying because every time you pull away its in the rev range where you'll get the noise and I think its just uncool to have a car like this resonating. I'm not sure mine is the fuel pipe resonation. Can fuel pipe resonation be heard while stationary if you enter the rev range? Mine only happens under load, not stationary.
Bobstar, the main source of info I used was the Jaguarxfforum, but unfortunately my registration has lapsed. There were a number of threads, about low whining noise/whining noise/hoover/low noise from turbo but they date back to 2011 so I'm not sure whether they are still accessible. I kept some print-outs, and it does seem that everyone was complaining about the noise at around 1100 rpm. One poster did try a number of XFs at a dealer's and found that some did have the problem when stationary, others didn't. As I said earlier I don't think you've got the fuel pipe problem but obviously a diagnosis from distance is not going to be necessarily very useful. Hope this helps.

Keith

· Registered
25 Posts
Hi, I have the resonance problem just as you describe, it has been going on for a few years now but no one has managed to diagnose the problem, the strange thing is that it only occurs during the warm weather never in the winter, I have just learned to live with it. Phil
I also have vibration between 1700 and 1800 rpm on my 2.7d. But only when driving under load, and not reproducible in neutral.

I can't hear any sound with the vibration, rather, I feel it through the accelerator pedal even though there's no cable or direct mechanical connection to the engine.

I had thought maybe it was the pedal/spring resonating, but after following this thread it could be something else resonating in the vicinity, but on the other side of the firewall.

It's annoying. I'd like to solve this issue...

· Registered
15 Posts
Interesting thread - X-type_Bobstar did you ever resolve this? My 09 3.0D has droning at both 1100 rpm and 1500 rpm, again like the posts under load although light load can cause it too a bit. Does appear worse cold but still there when warm...
I'm leaning towards the exhausts somewhere - have a s/h center section to fit and try as I had some luck with re positioning the rear silencers (as in twisting them). There is also mention in the workshop manual of neutralizing the exhaust, which relates to vibration. Could be mounts I guess.

Just wondered if you had a solution?

I'll post back if I get anywhere - marrs the luxurious ride of the Jag..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.