Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was wondering how easy it would be to retro-fit a roof console that included the garage door opening functionality. I have found a few used consoles online, but my question is - is all the hardware I need to make this work included in the panel, or will I need to find and fit an additional module? I'm really hoping one of the experts on this forum knows the answer :-D

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I am looking to fit one of these to my S Type, I also bought the roof console/module for my X Type but never used it as I moved somewhere without an electric garage door.

The garage door opener (AKA Homelink in the USA) is a self contained module (with switches - all it needs are power/gnd connections) that is located in the roof console for X/S Type/XJ & XK8 - I can't see a roof console for the X150 though. XF's seem to be different though - so maybe the X150 uses this style, there isn't anything in the X150 electrical manual though.

This link for the S Type explains it quite well - a word of caution though, the frequencies used may be country specific so modules will be as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Brilliant! Thank you so much Graham for that useful info - particularly the warning about frequencies in diffetent markets. I hadn't thought of that one. :-?

Now on the hunt for a European one, and in the right colour. This is going to be a long hunt.....

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I did look at retrofitting the overhead console with the garage door buttons but it looked to be expensive and if I remember rightly you have to have the Jaguar IDS/SDD software and an appropriate hardware interface to activate the feature. I don't think it's a dealer-fit option either, which means that you'll need a specially "modified" version of the software to access the function needed to activate it. I'll check my SDD install sometime I get a chance this week, see if the option is there or not.

What brand is your garage door system? Ours is a Hormann, I got a little remote transmitter from them which is designed to slot into the cigarette lighter socket in the ashtray. It doesn't draw power from the socket, it uses a battery, it just sits neatly in there out of the way.

Edit to add - this is the one I have - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008V65XCA/?tag=jaguarfcom-21

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh dear....

I did look at retrofitting the overhead console with the garage door buttons but it looked to be expensive and if I remember rightly you have to have the Jaguar IDS/SDD software and an appropriate hardware interface to activate the feature. I don't think it's a dealer-fit option either, which means that you'll need a specially "modified" version of the software to access the function needed to activate it. I'll check my SDD install sometime I get a chance this week, see if the option is there or not.

What brand is your garage door system? Ours is a Hormann, I got a little remote transmitter from them which is designed to slot into the cigarette lighter socket in the ashtray. It doesn't draw power from the socket, it uses a battery, it just sits neatly in there out of the way.

Edit to add - this is the one I have - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008V65XCA/?tag=jaguarfcom-21
Ah, in my innocence and naiivety I thought that the loom would be ready to accommodate the opener, or I would simply have to connect a power supply and earth. If I do have to start reprogramming the body control module, or whatever, then this idea moves from the nice to have section to the nice thought, but stick with the separate remote that you keep in the ash tray section....

And having already learned today from Graham that the frequencies used in the US (where the panels seem to be available from breakers) are different from the European ones, I think the coffin lid on this idea has been nailed down tight.

Thank you for your reply, 8bit

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
So the wiring may well be there already; certainly on my own car I've found wiring present for a few features the car didn't originally have like radar cruise control and the heated steering wheel. I did add the heated steering stuff later but that did involve some painful trial and error using SDD with a cheap hardware interface, later replacing that with a supported interface (not exactly cheap) and then having to get some help to do the activation.

Let me check SDD and try and get an idea how that side would work.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I'm not sure if sdd is needed, it shouldn't be as the only connections I can see in the electrical manuals are power and ground, i.e. No apparent system or network connections, that would imply that there is no system control as far as I can determine.

This info was present in the X,S Type and X350 electrical manuals but not in the X150, so that implies that it was not an option for this car, unless they called it something else (search for garage). A standalone module would work however.

As regards the frequencies, this is something that still needs to be determined. However I have seen 433.92MHz listed as being universal.....

Also, when I get a chance I will check my X Type roof console to see how the module is wired, a roof console that comes with the garage opener will be wired correctly. Adding any additional wires for ignition on power should be quite easy.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
OK, so you're saying it's entirely self contained then, the gubbins for the garage door transmitter don't depend on anything else outwith the roof console module? If so then yeah, you won't need SDD.

I just checked the prices of these modules on the SNG Barratt website, new parts are several hundred pounds...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good grief. I was just about to buy a console with the garage door opener buttons from Ebay when I noticed that it was from an X-Type. Identical, apart from NOT having a parking sensor button. So back to an ongoing search.

Thanks Richard, but for me £280 is a bit steep for something that isn't really necessary. That's the price of a rear Dunlop, and I don't expect mine to last that long.....

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.