Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, looks like an interesting road trip lined up Monday / Tuesday.......

Leave at dark o clock, probably 12am and head for Croydon, arriving around 8am and beating most of the traffic hopefully, have a meeting there for an hour or so and then off to Westleigh in Devon ( looks about 4 hours away )

So much depends on the customers / traffic etc but I'd hope to be away from there and off to Plymouth towards the end of the day, to Billacombe
Ideally catch up with customer on that day too, but possibly Tuesday morning, then head for Melbur which is near Newquay in Cornwall

It's a combination of chasing some fairly large quotes done recently and actually having a face to face with someone I've been dealing with for some time, a good opportunity to increase the business and extend the relationship further.
At least that's the plan lol

Once done there its off back home, likely to be 9-10 hours or so I guess and around 1300 miles all in

Don't know if I'm likely to see any of you on the way or not, but I'll be looking :-D:-D

Cheers
Jim

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Sounds like a very interesting trip Jim. Lots of roadworks etc being done in the south, not to mention the restricted speed limits. Haha.
Have a good time.

Roger

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a very interesting trip Jim. Lots of roadworks etc being done in the south, not to mention the restricted speed limits. Haha.
Have a good time.

Roger
Yeah, thanks for that Roger

We've had our fair share of roadworks up here too on some of the main routes for some time. There seems to be plenty going on but not a lot actually getting done most of the time......All the 50mph limits etc will do wonders for the mpg
It's been a long time since I was in Exeter / Devon area and look forward to it, although summer would be better of course

Orpington in Kent Roger - I've seen it on your location several times, brings back memories of a brief thing I had with a girl from there, a ministers daughter who was clearly a rebel. If I remember rightly I was on a course in Slough and met her there.......wayyy back in the day lol

All my best Roger
Jim

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
If you ever get a trip into North Norfolk,Jim,be sure to let me know...coffee/tea/gin and mixed and plenty of sympathy on offer!:-D

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you ever get a trip into North Norfolk,Jim,be sure to let me know...coffee/tea/gin and mixed and plenty of sympathy on offer!:-D
Thanks E30MW.....Cool offer

I've been in Kings Lynn, Basten Fen and last year around Longwatwer too, but don't generally get there too often. I'll bear it in mind though for sure
Same goes if you're ever in the Glasgow area, you'll always get a warm welcome here

Cheers
Jim

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here's a brief rundown of events from a busy couple of days....

Left Glasgow around 12.30am Monday morning and headed south, but was very annoyed very early on, as in when I just left the driveway.
Ok so it was minus 3 and we know the cats don't like the cold and there it was........"CDC ERROR" With no 6 discs multi changer I thought this is going to be a long trip. As it turns out I was actually quite hopeful for an easy fix later.

Off we went mpg started off at around 29.7mpg as I had been hard on her previously, coupled with the cold temps I wasn't expecting great things, visited the local BP and topped up with a large latte that would see me a few miles down the road. Whilst there, boot opened and looked at the CD changer, cartridge would not release. I persevered and got the cartridge out, taking the opperchancity to change the CD's

I thought a little 80's would do me proud lol, everything back in, boot shut and BOOM.....We have our multi changer back in action, score one for the good guys!
The trip down was easy peasy, even through road works, all quiet until about Banbury at 5ish I think it may have been, foggy and starting to get a little busier. I saw Gaydon and used the services near Silverstone at one point.

I'd been on cruise control and was starting to see decent figures at around 43mpg and saw 45.4mpg before entering London ( nightmare and not for me regularly thank god )
London killed it off and eventually 2 hours later I was at 40.1 mpg, I got to Croydon and visited my customer, had the craic and then moved on as you do, heading for Westleigh in Devon. I have to say the weather played ball and the sun was shining most of the day, low in the sky and had to make use of the sun blind often lol.

I topped up with fuel and managed 625.3 miles to the tank ending on 681.8 miles for the day

I was in Westliegh for around 3ish iirc and found the site tucked away, brief visit then off to Billacombe in Devon, near Plymouth and got there late afternoon, too late to see anyone I needed too, so booked in to the local Premier Inn and partook of a few beers, had a meal, telly then bed

Next day was up at 6am, a wee shower n shave and breakfast all done by 7am before I got the dreaded text ....( It's hit the fan and got real, can't see you today I'm afraid !)
Not best pleased but what can you do?

Visited site to see the manager, then left and headed for Melbur, Newquay Cornwall and did my thing there, then headed for an unexpected visit to see the Regional Procurement Manager at Stoneycombe
That was very interesting if not a little frustrating trying to find this place, tucked away in the deepest parts of the countryside with 12 foot hedges on either side of a road about 4 foot wide ( at its widest point !! )

This meeting went very well, in fact so well that it could quite easily makes us tens of thousands of pounds, already having an enquiry in the region of £250k AND he's dealt with us before in the dim n distant past too.
The only downside was it kept me there til 3pm, I had wanted to be away on the road for around 12pm but is what it is, needs must an all that.

Off we went heading for home, the weather was a stark contrast to the day before, wet, extremely wet, windy, foggy and generally horrible....superb!
M5 heading north and all was well except the last few miles of course, before the nightmare began, but......in all honesty nowhere near as bad as I've experienced in the past. Nav was saying home around 8.30 but I knew it would be later thinking around 11pm, but arrived back about 10.30pm

The journey on the last part of the M6 into the M74 was a blast, literally.....
After having been steady I just wanted to get home and upped the stakes at about 90 or so, then overtook by a white flash I saw coming in my rear view, turned out to be a Golf and I caught up using him as pacemaker at a little more pace than I had been at previously.

All was well for several miles before he thought he wanted to take a closer look, so held back as I overtook
Once satisfied that I wasn't an unmarked car and only an old man in a Jag he decided he was going to floor it, I had a funny feeling and so had selected Sport mode on the gearbox and off he went. At this point I got a glimpse of the rear and saw the tell tale 4 Large tailpipes that denoted it was probably an R.

Off he goes like stabbed rat with me only literally jusssst behind him as I had anticipated his move.
He had nothing for me, nothing at all and in fact with foot buried deep in the carpet I actually started to draw him in , this was right at the top end

This had went on for maybe 10-15 miles and enough was enough, point proven I eased off and with a big smile on my face just chilled the rest of the way home
657.5 miles covered and the ole girl did me proud as always, never missed a beat apart from the beat from the sound system at the start with no cd changer lol

Wifey called to say she had made a large pot of home made Ham hough soup, with crusty bread and Lurpak butter, helped me to unpack, made a coffee and then sat and watched some catch up tv.....mental note to self, really have to go away more often

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim yet more proof if it were needed of what a great car that you have
Thanks for that Kbizet.

Have to say she put a bigger smile than usual on my face the other night, definitely life left in the ole girl yet

I actually did one of those evil laughs to myself ( would have looked entirely strange / weird had there been anyone about ) as I hung on to the rear of the Golf.
Even sniggered somewhat as I actually swear I heard him say to himself, Ahh its ok, it's just some old guy in a Jag.

She's still sitting there, dirty and unloved these past few days, but we'll get together tomorrow and fix that.
Heading off out now, so have a great night / weekend to one n all

Catch you later
Jim

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just watched a video re run

All good lol

Off into see about getting this key fixed tomorrow, the broken blade, get a little nervous with no spare

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.