Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
3,396 Posts
Ah, good point and thank you for that jberks, as I have just cast an impartial and more critical eye over my photos and you are quite right, they do look a bit dark and easily taken for blac, so I will put up some more to show Deseree in a better light, showing off her beautiful glossy coat of blue.

I like your dad already and I bet he is well known for his impeccable taste View attachment 58397

Wow, you do have a fine history of Mercs and I have to agree with you on comfort, I would spend a good deal of time in mine either on a long commute and/or most of the day with home visits attending patients work wise, even slept in the back at lunch times ... yes indeedy comfortable to a tee.
I still remember that day, back in 1979. Just arrived back from School and my Dad rolled up in a brand new gleaming W123 250. It looked so modern. It’d been his dream for years. In those days, anything with a 3pointed star was rare so it might as well have been a Ferrari. The bright orange colour didn’t exactly help disguise it either. He’d always wanted one and finally, he could.
It was pretty basic, black plastic dashboard, windup windows but oddly electric sunroof and silent vacuum powered central locking. Funny days. In ‘86 he got the best car ever. (I still consider it one of the best cars ever made) A 2 year old W126 380SE. V8 engine, wooden dash, electric everything, even little wipers on the headlights Next best thing to a rolls - and even better, 18 year old me was handed the keys!! My then girlfriend (Mrs for the last 31 years) had a Saturday job. The manger was a bit of an arse and would pick on the fact that she lived in a council flat. The look on his face when she walked out that evening and climbed into a purring S class with a phone aerial on the boot (remember how rare carphones were in the early 80s)!😂
He’s had his ups and downs and had to drive a cavalier for a while. The look of pride on his face when I came home with my first C class! and the buzz I got when a few months later he was finally able to chop the cavalier in for a C of his own. He later bought an E220 as his ‘see me out’ retirement car but thankfully he outlived it and had to buy his current car.
Funny the effect cars have on people.

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,420 Posts
Lovely looking Merc Gina and has a crackin fleck in the metallic paint.
No surprise she looks spotless, like the rest of your fleet, well maintained and loved.

Reactions: Ruby351 and JimC64

· Registered
XJ X351 Portfolio
688 Posts
Oh, I can restrain myself no longer. I have to ask.
Gina, the Jag, the Bentley, the Merc, the Tranny.
Which is your favourite? :unsure:

· Premium Member
17,932 Posts
Big question right there...........Out with it Gina

Tell the truth and shame the devil

Jim

· Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
You certainly keep your cars in nice condition Ruby. She looks like a lovely example.
I haven't anything against Mercs, but only ever owned 2 of them in my youth, and one of them was for 1 day only.
The first a LHD WW2 Mercedes 170 SV with full Wehrmacht interior (I kid you not). I had it for 1 year and sold it for twice what I paid for it, (value today would be in mutiples of tripple figures).
The second and sadest, was a 1952 Adenaur 300 W186 with the 3.0 ltr petrol engine. I passed it everyday on my way to work and watched it gradually deteriorating and the tyres getting flatter with each week. I found the owner, a young woman and offered to buy it from her. She refused but I kept asking on a monthly basis. Eventually she gave way and we made a deal at the cost to me of 300 pounds!
She signed the bill of sale and the next day my friend and I, along with his car transporter arrived to collect it. We pumped the tyres and pulled it up on the transporter. As we started to secure it a guy came running over almost in fits of tears. He had bought it for her as a present and they were to be married within 3 months. He explained his dream had been to be married and use the car for it. He told me that it was to go into the garage to have some minor problems fixed. I told him the deal was done and showed him the bill of sale. I never saw anyone so broken and when the girl joined him, she really was in tears. There was obviously some serious friction between them.
I couldn't stand it, and although totally gutted by the turn of events, took the bill of sale and tore it up in front of them.
My friend and I rolled the car back off the transporter and she quickly got me the money, hugged and kissed me over and over before her future husband invited both my friend and I to their wedding. The next day, the car was gone and 3 months later the car bought her to the church. Both looked fantastic.
It hurt like hell but the wedding and following party was wonderful and they both made sure our glasses stayed full throughout the night.
I look at the 300's today and my heart still aches and my wallet still screams, but I had learned something about myself that day, you get back what you give out....and that has stayed with me throughout my entire joy filled life.
This really was one of the few that got away.:cautious:
Many thanks Ray, kind of you to say so and much appreciated (y) :)

I have to say your post was quite a read and not something you come across every day, both parts of it with your Mercedes experiences. The second one regarding the 1952 MB 300, was a marvellous lesson on the touch of human kindness and understanding, with the profound effect it can have, lasting a lifetime, for you and I have no doubt, your friend and the young couple at the time too. The big old beautiful Merc may have got away, but you ended up with plenty of more fish to fry, with newfound friendships, and a wedding where the bride was able to arrive is sumptuous style.

Not only did I enjoy reading your tales, but having a very inquisitive nature, it sent me out onto a paper trail ... well internet of course, and I don't know if I have these right, as you can get different styles sloon/cabriolet or raodster according to whom so ever labels the phots etc. but were the cars you talk about anything like these:

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire

Brown Rectangle Wood Bag Automotive exterior

1952 Mercedes-Benz 300 Adenauer | Vintage Car Collector

According to one sales blurb I read, the MB 300 may well be the "The company's largest and most prestigious automobile, it was the Maybach of its day, elegant, powerful, exclusive, and expensive" with them being "All but hand-built as the company flagship, the W186 is often identified as an Adenauer after Konrad Adenauer, the first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, who employed six custom cabriolet, hardtop saloon, and landaulet versions of the W186 and its successor W189 during his 1949-1963 tenure", but the WW2 Mercedes 170s Wehrmacht has a mighty powerful history behind it.

I was a little confused as to which model you had Ray, the 'sv' part got me flummoxed, and I thought maybe it stood for 'service vehicle', anyway fingers crossed I have the right one if not - let ne down gently ... pretty please :giggle:

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

While perusing the net on my little escapade for further information gobbling up lots of new and interesting things along the way, well you know those before and after thingies, a bit like this only better ...

Cartoon Gesture Line Font Happy

I came across these, the first YT video is of a barn find where the car and its trailer are on display at a classic car show. I have taken a few discreet still web captures from and I will put up the link, but fair warning, the car is I presume a legitimate German WW2 'relic' and contains memorabilia including uniforms, photos and household items etc. although nothing crude or leud, some might find the contents of a sensitive nature, so viewing is recommended at your own discretion.

[Wehrmacht barn find] Wehrmacht vehicle at the classic car meeting on CarFriday - YouTube

Vehicle Automotive tire Font Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

The second video is quite obvious the 'after' and for me although the car is immaculate beyond belief, it is almost too good if you get what I mean.

Reactions: Glenn65 and JimC64

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Lovely looking Merc Gina and has a crackin fleck in the metallic paint.
No surprise she looks spotless, like the rest of your fleet, well maintained and loved.
Many thanks Glenn, and I know I keep saying it, but it really is very much appreciated, I do love my Merc and it is always great to hear that someone else can see the beauty in her too (y) :giggle:

Reactions: Glenn65 and JimC64

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A little more on the 170V as the story continues, if you remember I said that it had a profound history with MB which as it happens was pre WW2, during and most definitely post the war, as I found out in this great YT video, from which I learnt some quite astonishing facts. Now you may well already know things like lack of materials leading to wooden dashes, lack of insulation, sliding windows, black dials with white numerals, wood & gas fired engines, etc., etc. but this is all fascinating new stuff to me. so here goes with a few piccies, and the video, but like before, there are a few WW2 links, just to give you a bit a bit of a heads up, in case you want it.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

First off though a bit of info as well as going back to Ray's 170 SV and I think I have got the answer the letters aspect so here goes, but happy to be corrected if I'm wrong:
taken from Wiki:

Mercedes-Benz W136 - Wikipedia

"The "V" in the 170 V's name was an abbreviation of "Vorn" (front), added to differentiate it from the contemporary rear-engined Mercedes-Benz 170H (W28) ("H" for "Heck", rear) which used the same four cylinder 1697cc engine, but positioned at the back of the car ...
1935-1942
... Mercedes-Benz developed a lightweight, two-seat roadster with magnesium and aluminium bodywork details. Weighing in at 260 kg (570 lb) less than the regular model, the 170 VR appeared in 1936 and was also used the next year. ...
Subsequent to the Austrian annexation, the 1938 edition of the prestigious Austrian Alpine Rally was called the Deutsche Alpenfahrt ("German Alpine Rally"). Mercedes-Benz felt obliged to update their entry and produced the 170 VS (sometimes called "SV"). ..
."

This bit in the same Wiki article, makes me wonder if I HAVE got myself lost, hey-ho, I have still enjoyed the trip ...

"170 VK Kübelwagen
From 1938 to 1942, Mercedes-Benz built over 19,000 units of the 170 V with a "Kübelwagen"-type body (simple open-topped body for military use) for the Wehrmacht, as the 170 VK, making this the second-most produced German light open military vehicle of World War II."

Back to the YT video and then I must give some serious thought as to which I my girlies I like the best, here we go then...

· Registered
1,682 Posts
Hi Gina,
Thank you for the excellent write up on those early Mercedes.
The Adenaur 300 in your picture shows the model I owned (for a day). Mine was white and as you can imagine made the perfect wedding car. The 170SV (the model I had was the 2 door military version) was always referred to in the UK as SV (Side Valve). Clearly that was convenient in the UK but incorrect following your excellent detective work. Both cars were incredibly well made and solid. They were also heavy and not particularly fast, but on the 170, the engine ran as if it had just come out of the factory. I loved it but it did get me into some scrapes with people that didn't think it was right to drive around in what they described as a Nazi reminder....and those people included my mum.
Thank you for the YT video link, really interesting and just one month ago, during a family holiday to Rhodes I came across this:
Tire Vehicle Car Window Grille

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Gina,
Thank you for the excellent write up on those early Mercedes.
The Adenaur 300 in your picture shows the model I owned (for a day). Mine was white and as you can imagine made the perfect wedding car. The 170SV (the model I had was the 2 door military version) was always referred to in the UK as SV (Side Valve). Clearly that was convenient in the UK but incorrect following your excellent detective work. Both cars were incredibly well made and solid. They were also heavy and not particularly fast, but on the 170, the engine ran as if it had just come out of the factory. I loved it but it did get me into some scrapes with people that didn't think it was right to drive around in what they described as a Nazi reminder....and those people included my mum.
Thank you for the YT video link, really interesting and just one month ago, during a family holiday to Rhodes I came across this:
View attachment 58433
Hello Ray,
You're very welcome, all fascinating reading, the 300 in white would have been quite the sight for sure and regarding your 170 SV, I can well imagine you got a bit of an ear bashing, not least from your lovely mum.

How weird is that about the one you saw in Rhodes, it doesn't look all that bad either and a project in the making for someone, I guess?

Reactions: rayUK

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I still remember that day, back in 1979. Just arrived back from School and my Dad rolled up in a brand new gleaming W123 250. It looked so modern. It’d been his dream for years. In those days, anything with a 3pointed star was rare so it might as well have been a Ferrari. The bright orange colour didn’t exactly help disguise it either. He’d always wanted one and finally, he could.
It was pretty basic, black plastic dashboard, windup windows but oddly electric sunroof and silent vacuum powered central locking. Funny days. In ‘86 he got the best car ever. (I still consider it one of the best cars ever made) A 2 year old W126 380SE. V8 engine, wooden dash, electric everything, even little wipers on the headlights Next best thing to a rolls - and even better, 18 year old me was handed the keys!! My then girlfriend (Mrs for the last 31 years) had a Saturday job. The manger was a bit of an arse and would pick on the fact that she lived in a council flat. The look on his face when she walked out that evening and climbed into a purring S class with a phone aerial on the boot (remember how rare carphones were in the early 80s)!😂
He’s had his ups and downs and had to drive a cavalier for a while. The look of pride on his face when I came home with my first C class! and the buzz I got when a few months later he was finally able to chop the cavalier in for a C of his own. He later bought an E220 as his ‘see me out’ retirement car but thankfully he outlived it and had to buy his current car.
Funny the effect cars have on people.
Ah, such a brilliant story when he rolled up in his bright new orange dream and I can just imagine your dad bursting with pride and his excitement which I can feel right here.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

The thing is with cars, for me they don't have to be brand spanking new, or top of the range as this is for those who seemingly have something to prove or with money to burn, which doesn't enter into my world. It can be a battered old jalopy, that is your first car maybe taken an age to save up for, a first car of a particular make whatever the age, a first 'new' car etc., what it all boils down to in the end, is the pleasure the car brings when you sit in it and bring her home and she's yours, that's what I love about cars anyway.

18 years old and king of the road in 'your' big, beautiful monster of a machine, WOW!
Smile Cartoon Happy Art Font
Superb tale and just wish I was a fly on the window of 380SE and I hope you phoned from the car to tell the manager you were waiting outside, ready to pick your now wife up when she had finished her shift :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Shame your dad had to give up on his Mercs ... ups & downs ... been there myself as a lot of us have, but chuffed he got back into the brand with a C-class and like you, I had one for many. many years problem free and only PX last year for the E-class, what a cracking car it was too.

I had been looking at Mercs for a good while, then again, I do every now and then just out of curiosity, but the final push came when the electric wing mirror stopped working on my car. Given what I estimated the px to be on my car and the price of a new wing mirror, labour etc. and as I had seen a couple of cars with strong potential, the timing seemed right and the rest as they say is history.

· Registered
6,398 Posts
The trouble with Mercedes is that they are losing touch with their customers. They are living on their past reputation for quality but they have produced some major puppies.

Their new idea is you have bought their car but you have to pay a subscription to release it's full potential.

Even if it was a one off payment i would personally go and tell them to forget it and go and buy a Tesla (I don't want either being a die hard petrol head)

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The trouble with Mercedes is that they are losing touch with their customers. They are living on their past reputation for quality but they have produced some major puppies.

Their new idea is you have bought their car but you have to pay a subscription to release it's full potential.

Even if it was a one off payment i would personally go and tell them to forget it and go and buy a Tesla (I don't want either being a die hard petrol head)
I can't really comment too much on the subject of Mercedes losing touch with their customers, as I don't have any particular knowledge or experience first, second or any other hand on the subject myself. What I can say though, is, that there do seem to be a lot of them on the road, all ages and various models, so I would think there is a strong fan base out there, however the hierarchy are dealing with their customers or listening to what they want. It's a bit like Jaguar I suppose, the leaders of the brand, strive on forward, seeming to take no notice of their customers, just looking at the mess they made surrounding the demise of the XJ is a good example of that.

From the article you put up, which I agree is rather bizarre in as much as charging for activating a service/facility that is already available in the car. However, this is not a new thing, as apparently Mercedes subscription is hot on the heels of BMW and their subscription charge for switching on the heated seats in their cars - now I ask you, how crazy is that? Well personally I think it is quite frankly ludicrous, given I would think even the most basic of family cars would have this facility, but forgive me for once, I am not going to trawl the web to find an example to back up my comment, not this time.

If I understand correctly the gist is, the EQ series of battery powered EVs costing a price tag ranging from something like £61,153 ($74K) to £84,292 ($102K) in today's market, is going to be able to have the so called 'Acceleration Increase' available to the people of Canada and the US, at a cost of £82/month ($100/month), giving you that extra horsepower/torque and potential faster speed of 0-60mph by an almighty drop in time by UP TO 1 SECOND.

All I can say (for now) is two things:

1) someone in Mercedes has done their homework and believes there is a need for an option of better acceleration etc. and there is money in the US and Canada, and I hope for their sakes, they have got their sums right.

2) does it all boil down to having more money than sense, may be yes, may be no? Choices, choices, choices and lucky for me I will never have to make this particular one as no lecy-lecy car for old Ruby.

See the source image

Reactions: ducmon

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Oh John, what a nightmare you have caused me, 4 simple words, and it has been on my mind ever since, went to bed thinking about it, tossing and turning all night, waking up several times contemplating my answer, finally getting up much the worse for wear and still not able to come up with a suitable answer ...

Cartoon Gesture Sharing Art Font

Took my mind off things with chores, other forum posts, a bit of woodwork in my garage, all the while, dipping in and out of the conundrum you set me. trying to look at things from a different perspective and now I think I have satisfied myself with an answer that for now I am happy with, well not happy, but an answer with a metaphorical arm halfway up my back ;)

Okey-dokey, now you know me pretty well by now, so don't expect anything simple or straight forward, but you asked and here are my thoughts such as they are in a two pronged reply, which will hopefully make sense.

The first is in direct response as to which is my favourite, and it has to be the Bentley.
The reasons being, primarily she gives me such an amazing buzz, I simply cannot find the words to express the magic that builds from the moment I start to remove her cover, exposing her superb Silverlake pale blue shimmering coat which gradually comes into view followed by her complimenting soft top in its dark blue almost navy hue. Then you pop the doors open but have to control your excitement a little while disconnecting the CTek - sorted - in behind the wheel, engine roars into life and your heart pumps in time with the same tune, top down, pull off the drive excitement crescendos and now the fun begins and that is why I love my Bentley Continental GTC the best.

It is for me the car dreams are made of, never in a million year did I think I would ever have something so exquisite. If you work hard and are in a position to choose your path, be it left or right, mine was to have Dolores. I certainly didn't need her, we had a Merc, Nissan 4X4 and van already, I had been sensible all my adult life and this was the first time I had been frivolous and bought something for cash that was wanted - fantastic and I count myself very fortunate indeed to have her.

The second answer comes in the form of which one is my favourite in as which one would I keep if I had the choice of only one, and the answer to this is the Mercedes and the reasons for this are as follows:

Bentley - I don't take her out in the rain, she is not suitable for shopping, poor milage, too expensive to upkeep, high risk of damage/vandalised/stolen etc. e.g. in car parks or around town etc.

Jaguar - although I love the aesthetics, feel and drive of our Jag, I cannot lose the dreadful unsettling feeling I have that she going to let me down, call me daft, but I have read so many things on the forum about Jags going wrong - I know, I know, there are oodles of folks who have had big cats for donkey's year without an ee-aww or anything going wrong, but I cannot help this flaming gut feeling I have when we go out in Lizzy. Such a shame, as it does mar the pleasure in going out in her, not a lot, but it is still there and I can't seem to shake it.

The other thing is there is so much talk about the cost of repairs, and upkeep, this also bothers me and I know Anita is very slow on getting used our jag, she doesn't do tech at all well, and I think it over faces her, hence the frequent threats of changing Lizzy for a 4X4, even though I try to explain, a new 4X4 will have the same sort of tech gadgets/issues.

Finally, Lizzy is a lot of worry with regards to the battery and all the faff we had with the new one going flat, calling the AA to get it sorted etc., then keeping her on charge with the CTek, just seems like a lot of worry surrounds her - I know when all is put into perspective your talking incidental, nevertheless, each piece goes towards making up the puzzle. Hence, I know the one of the 3 we have that will go for PX, will be our Jag. :(

Mercedes - why would I keep the E-class? For me she is reliable, road tax £30/year, economical, great size boot for rollator and groceries, no worry with battery or need of CTek,. She just ticks all the right boxes for an everyday, comfortable, classy, economical, beautiful to look at and drive car - simples.

· Super Moderator
6,477 Posts
I'm not sure about losing touch: Mercedes-Benz deliveries up 21% in Q3 with robust demand | marsMediaSite

As to the pay as you go licensing model, it is commonly used in the software industry. You can add or remove features as and when you need saving money sometimes but knowing that if circumstances change, a few clicks and you are good to go again - at a cost!

It feels odd to apply this model to cars which some of us buy more from an emotional point of view rather than as a tool to do a job. However, if it works for the majority of buyers, and maybe it already does, as many are already aware of buying cars that are identical other than a different software map installed releasing more power and paying a large premium for it. Now you can buy low and upgrade later and retain the original manufacturer's cover. It is a different viewpoint but might not really be that big a deal for buyers - it just adds a little to the monthly payment for a car that they will never own anyway.

· Registered
XJ X351 Portfolio
688 Posts
Oh John, what a nightmare you have caused me, 4 simple words, and it has been on my mind ever since, went to bed thinking about it, tossing and turning all night, waking up several times contemplating my answer, finally getting up much the worse for wear and still not able to come up with a suitable answer ...

View attachment 58467

Took my mind off things with chores, other forum posts, a bit of woodwork in my garage, all the while, dipping in and out of the conundrum you set me. trying to look at things from a different perspective and now I think I have satisfied myself with an answer that for now I am happy with, well not happy, but an answer with a metaphorical arm halfway up my back ;)

Okey-dokey, now you know me pretty well by now, so don't expect anything simple or straight forward, but you asked and here are my thoughts such as they are in a two pronged reply, which will hopefully make sense.

The first is in direct response as to which is my favourite, and it has to be the Bentley.
The reasons being, primarily she gives me such an amazing buzz, I simply cannot find the words to express the magic that builds from the moment I start to remove her cover, exposing her superb Silverlake pale blue shimmering coat which gradually she comes into view followed by her complimenting soft top in its dark blue almost navy hue. Then you pop the doors open but have to control your excitement a little while disconnecting the CTek - sorted - in behind the wheel, engine roars into life and your heart pumps in time with the same tune, top down, pull off the drive excitement crescendos and now the fun begins and that is why I love my Bentley Continental GTC the best.

It is for me the car dreams are made of, never in a million year did I think I would ever have something so exquisite. If you work hard and are in a position to choose your path, be it left or right, mine was to have Dolores. I certainly didn't need her, we had a Merc, Nissan 4X4 and van already, I had been sensible all my adult life and this was the first time I had been frivolous and bought something for cash that was wanted - fantastic and I count myself very fortunate indeed to have her.

The second answer comes in the form of which one is my favourite in as which one would I keep if I had the choice of only one, and the answer to this is the Mercedes and the reasons for this are as follows:

Bentley - I don't take her out in the rain, she is not suitable for shopping, poor milage, too expensive to upkeep, high risk of damage/vandalised/stolen etc. e.g. in car parks or around town etc.

Jaguar - although I love the aesthetics, feel and drive of our Jag, I cannot lose the dreadful unsettling feeling I have that it is going to let me down, call me daft, but I have read so many things on the forum about Jags going wrong - I know, I know, there are oodles of folks who have had big cats for donkey's year without an ee-aww or anything going wrong, but I cannot help this flaming gut feeling I have when we go out in Lizzy. Such a shame, as it does mar the pleasure in going out in her, not a lot, but it is still there and I can't seem to shake it.

The other thing is there is so much talk about the cost of repairs, and upkeep, this also bothers me and I know Anita is very slow on getting used our jag, she doesn't do tech at all well, and I think it over faces her, hence the frequent threats of changing Lizzy for a 4X4, even though I try to explain, a new 4X4 will have the same sort of tech gadgets/issues.

Finally, Lizzy is a lot of worry with regards to the battery and all the faff we had with the new one going flat, calling the AA to get it sorted etc., then keeping her on charge with the CTek, just seems like a lot of worry surrounds her - I know when all put into perspective your talking incidental, nevertheless, each piece goes towards making up the puzzle. Hence, I know the one of the 3 we have that will go for PX, will be our Jag. :(

Mercedes - why would I keep the E-class? For me she is reliable, road tax £30/year, economical, great size boot for rollator and groceries, no worry with battery or need of CTek,. She just ticks all the right boxes for an everyday, comfortable, classy, economical, beautiful to look at and drive car - simples.
Hi Gina. I'm sorry I have caused you so much anguish but thanks for the, as always, comprehensive and humourous reply. Your reasoning is spot on and although my love of my Jag would have brought me to a different conclusion I fully understand yours.
On the subject of reliabilty though, I have owned three Jags - a 2.2d X-Type, XF-S and now the XJ and although they have been a PITA in the little repairs that seem never-ending, none has yet left me stranded at the side of the road (bar once perhaps but I was on a friends drive).
May your three chariots continue to give you pleasure! Oh, and the Tranny of course! ;)

· Premium Member
17,932 Posts

View attachment 58467

The reasons being, primarily she gives me such an amazing buzz, I simply cannot find the words to express the magic that builds from the moment I start to remove her cover, exposing her superb Silverlake pale blue shimmering coat which gradually she comes into view followed by her complimenting soft top in its dark blue almost navy hue. Then you pop the doors open but have to control your excitement a little while disconnecting the CTek - sorted - in behind the wheel, engine roars into life and your heart pumps in time with the same tune, top down, pull off the drive excitement crescendos and now the fun begins and that is why I love my Bentley Continental GTC the best.

Jaguar - although I love the aesthetics, feel and drive of our Jag, I cannot lose the dreadful unsettling feeling I have that it is going to let me down, call me daft, but I have read so many things on the forum about Jags going wrong - I know, I know, there are oodles of folks who have had big cats for donkey's year without an ee-aww or anything going wrong, but I cannot help this flaming gut feeling I have when we go out in Lizzy. Such a shame, as it does mar the pleasure in going out in her, not a lot, but it is still there and I can't seem to shake it.

Finally, Lizzy is a lot of worry with regards to the battery and all the faff we had with the new one going flat, calling the AA to get it sorted etc., then keeping her on charge with the CTek, just seems like a lot of worry surrounds her - I know when all put into perspective your talking incidental, nevertheless, each piece goes towards making up the puzzle. Hence, I know the one of the 3 we have that will go for PX, will be our Jag. :(

I understand your reasoning Gina, love the Bentley too

For me, it would probably be very very close between the Jaguar and Bentley, the Bentley may just edge it

I hear your comments on the Jag, but also know that although there are a few issues here n there, it'd be interesting to be able to run them side by side, mile for mile, day by day and just see if your theory actually holds true
This 2021 reliability survey says no lol

21. Jaguar
22. Mercedes
Jaguar wins by a short nose lol

Here's the Whatcar reliability list for 2022 for Luxury cars

Reliability of luxury cars aged up to five years old
RankMake and modelScore
1.Jaguar XJ (2010-present)98.3%
2.BMW 5 Series petrol (2017-present)95.0%
3.BMW 7 Series (2015-present)92.2%
4.BMW 5 Series 530e hybrid (2018-present)91.6%
5.Volvo S90/Volvo V90 (2016-present)90.7%
6.Mercedes E-Class (2016-present)90.6%
7.BMW 5 Series diesel (2017-present)90.4%
8.Jaguar XF (2015-present)88.1%
9.Audi A6 (2011-2018)84.4%
10.Audi A6 (2018-present)80.3%

Jim

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi Gina. I'm sorry I have caused you so much anguish but thanks for the, as always, comprehensive and humourous reply. Your reasoning is spot on and although my love of my Jag would have brought me to a different conclusion I fully understand yours.
On the subject of reliabilty though, I have owned three Jags - a 2.2d X-Type, XF-S and now the XJ and although they have been a PITA in the little repairs that seem never-ending, none has yet left me stranded at the side of the road (bar once perhaps but I was on a friends drive).
May your three chariots continue to give you pleasure! Oh, and the Tranny of course! ;)
Hello John, not at all, while I did actually give it some long and serious thought, I quite enjoyed the 'challenge' ;)

There will be many, many people in the same boat as you with regards to Jaguars especially on this forum and I can't fault them for that. Our Lizzy is certainly a gorgeous specimen and don't get me wrong I fully appreciate all she has to offer with my heart skipping a beat as I admire her fine beautiful lines both inside and out and am cosseted by her luxurious feel and powerfully, exhilarating ride.

Ah, our Tranny, I hadn't missed our Bertha in my contemplations, but did forget to put her down on paper, an omission I will correct here:
Our LWB High-top Transit is quite simply brilliant, wonderful to drive, economical (don't ask me for figures please) as we use her the most, yet only seem to fill her up once in a blue moon. She takes all and sundry ferrying whatever we need from dogs, DIY bits 'n' bobs especially dirty/heavy/long items with ease and of course the inevitable trips to the tip etc. She even acts as a mobile home from home, when we very occasionally make a long trip to see family, something we plan to do a bit more of when the warmer weather arrives next year, now that we have stopped breeding our lovely British shorthair cats and are down to only one Gt Dane. Oh yes, we won't let our dogs sleep in the van by themselves, hence sleeping in there with them.

So why is the Tranny not my favourite then given all of the above, with the first example, in all honesty my passion is pretty low when compared to Dolores - so no completion there then. As far as being the one for a keeper, she would have been definitely in the running when we had 4 Great Danes and 4 Bulldogs, but as we only have one Dane now, that has gone out of the window, so even though she will take both our mobility scooters - an obvious plus over the cars, still doesn't pip the Merc to the top slot ... sorry Bertha, good but not quite good enough.

Thanks John, all great fun and I'm sure that my girlies will continue to be one of the things in life that brings me the most joy, keep on lovin' those big cats
Head Smile Jaw Gesture Happy

Cheers,
Gina

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,420 Posts
I think Jaguars get a bad rap for reliability. I suspect not much worse than some. However, I understand your view point, in regards the battery having to be tip top etc. I suppose these cars were sold to be exec cars and not really sat about for weeks on end when new.
The downside I guess is, as they filter down the food chain, a lot of these exec cars don't stand the reliability test of time where they are in the hands of mere mortals like us and, although not run on a shoestring, won't always be ran without a financial limit.

Reactions: Ruby351

· Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I understand your reasoning Gina, love the Bentley too

For me, it would probably be very very close between the Jaguar and Bentley, the Bentley may just edge it

I hear your comments on the Jag, but also know that although there are a few issues here n there, it'd be interesting to be able to run them side by side, mile for mile, day by day and just see if your theory actually holds true
This 2021 reliability survey says no lol

21. Jaguar
22. Mercedes
Jaguar wins by a short nose lol

Here's the Whatcar reliability list for 2022 for Luxury cars

Reliability of luxury cars aged up to five years old
RankMake and modelScore
1.Jaguar XJ (2010-present)98.3%
2.BMW 5 Series petrol (2017-present)95.0%
3.BMW 7 Series (2015-present)92.2%
4.BMW 5 Series 530e hybrid (2018-present)91.6%
5.Volvo S90/Volvo V90 (2016-present)90.7%
6.Mercedes E-Class (2016-present)90.6%
7.BMW 5 Series diesel (2017-present)90.4%
8.Jaguar XF (2015-present)88.1%
9.Audi A6 (2011-2018)84.4%
10.Audi A6 (2018-present)80.3%

Jim
Excellent and helpful post Jim (y)

I have seen these sorts of figures before and the first time was on a thread on the forum and then more as I looked into it further. Sadly, I cannot remember which post it was, but I can remember being pretty devastated at the time - my lovely Mercedes brand doing so badly in the reliability stakes, it was quite a shock I can tell you.

I don't really have a theory as such Jim, more of a personal gut feeling, a 'sense' of things that might go wrong, a niggling worry if you like, and as I say having read things on the forum. Furthermore, while I am a person who comes from the school of 'prevention is better than cure', Anita is from the one which deals with 'don't fix what ain't broke'. Given this, it is very difficult to get the cars maintained as they should be, even down to having the oil/oil filter changed, and I'm not kidding you here either, one heck of a ding-dong goes on and the groundwork has to be prepared well in advance, even more so as our milage is so very low.

I admit my judgement is based on a very short period of time owning and learning about Jaguars, just over a year now, but no matter what you read or learn from others, personal experience can have a major impact and influence on a person's thoughts as to a product and this is probably the major factor with me and my Jaguar.

It was about a month after bringing her home she a full service which included a powerful new battery, only to have this fail on us after about 21/2 months. The enormous angst that this caused was profound and whist others may laugh something like this off and put it down to experience, not so in my case, yes I could get on with sorting it out no problem in that way, but no, I am indeed a worrier and inside it did me no good at all. So the days rolled on and eventually after us trying to get into the boot, finally calling the AA out, to having another new battery fitted etc. all was sorted in the end and a CTek firmly in place. However, the toll it had was beyond belief, I can feel my blood pressure rising as I write and I never ever want to go through that one again.

So you see, it is this sort of thing for me and not just what I have read, that colours my opinion of our Lizzy. and in 17 years of Mercedes-Benz ownership, I have never had a problem anywhere near this in the reliability stakes, so I can only talk from my own experience no matter what the statistics say.

Still love my Jag and I'm doing everything in my power to keep her ... Anita and her 4X4 :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: JimC64
21 - 40 of 49 Posts