Jaguar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I think Jaguars get a bad rap for reliability. I suspect not much worse than some. However, I understand your view point, in regards the battery having to be tip top etc. I suppose these cars were sold to be exec cars and not really sat about for weeks on end when new.
The downside I guess is, as they filter down the food chain, a lot of these exec cars don't stand the reliability test of time where they are in the hands of mere mortals like us and, although not run on a shoestring, won't always be ran without a financial limit.
So true Glenn, the problem is ours no doubt regarding the battery, as we don't cover the miles to keep it topped up, now hopefully rectified with the charger.

I don't mind spending the money on our vehicles to keep them in good shape ... perhaps you could have a gentle word with my bestest friend to let go of the purse strings once in a while, so that I can do just that :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: #steve

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Nice little surprise today, my bestest friend had only gone and booked Desiree in for a hand wash where I took her for a valet/detailing jooby last time. Our usual chappie Steve, who is brilliant by the way, didn't bother to get back to us as usual, so I couldn't be bothered to wait and found these two lovely gents who did a stonking job on her as I told them so at the time. Still feel a loyalty to Steve though, daft I know, but there you go.

Anyway, where was I, oh yes, apparently Anita went there yesterday but they were too busy, told her they would squeeze her in today as it was only for the outside. The thing is, I usually sort our lot out myself, but to be honest I have not been up to it for weeks now which meant she has been out in all weathers, no cover on, running us to various appointments, which just lately there have been many more of, so the poor gal was in quite a mess, not least being peppered with leaves and detritus which has been blowing about like some sort of crazy where we are here.

So, when I pulled back my curtains at a tad after 12.30 lunch time today, you could have knocked me down with a feather - there she was all wrapped up nice and cosy in her over coat - WHOOSH! How marvellous was that? One very pleased and relieved Ruby, I can tell you. :giggle:

Not only that, but I was also given another gifty, my, my, my, the moths are flying high today

Cartoon Happy Gesture Thumb Sharing

Brilliant in all sense of the word and bought to help with my DIY in the 'workshop' when a little extra light is needed on the subject matter in hand. Well, how thoughtful is that eh? Chuffed to bits with it and a mighty useful gadget for me, as you know, I go in the garage in the evening, so working by electric light even with two or 3 on, you inevitably cast a shadow somewhere along the lines.

Product Yellow Font Advertising Poster

Reactions: JimC64

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,587 Posts
How nice was that! All cleaned and back to bed before you get out of yours.
That’s my job for today hopefully, Janis heading out with her daughter about 11am so plan to get hers done before she goes.

Looks like a nice big light there too, I can’t deny I’m starting to discover the poor lighting in my little garage too, or my arms are too short, not sure, certainly not my eye sight, oh no…

Anyway on the subject of lights, I got myself a little handheld torch from Halfords, £12.99 but rechargeable and gives a good light. The problem is I have spent over a month trying to find it, so ended up buying another one.

I was out in the garage yesterday, sorting out my oil service box and decanting my oil into my containers and lo-and-behold, there was my torch at the bottom. Totally forgot I had used it to light up the engine bay while doing my last oil change.

(edit- Ring 3W COB LED Rechargeable Inspection Lamp RIL83 | Halfords UK )
The plan now will be to fit a USB port in the boot of the car so I can leave one in there charging, the only thing I’ll need assistance with is finding a switched live so it’s not charging while the car is off ( back to the story of the XJ’s sensitivity of the battery).

• Haha
Reactions: JimC64 and Ruby351

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
How nice was that! All cleaned and back to bed before you get out of yours.
That’s my job for today hopefully, Janis heading out with her daughter about 11am so plan to get hers done before she goes.

Looks like a nice big light there too, I can’t deny I’m starting to discover the poor lighting in my little garage too, or my arms are too short, not sure, certainly not my eye sight, oh no…

Anyway on the subject of lights, I got myself a little handheld torch from Halfords, £12.99 but rechargeable and gives a good light. The problem is I have spent over a month trying to find it, so ended up buying another one.

I was out in the garage yesterday, sorting out my oil service box and decanting my oil into my containers and lo-and-behold, there was my torch at the bottom. Totally forgot I had used it to light up the engine bay while doing my last oil change.

(edit- Ring 3W COB LED Rechargeable Inspection Lamp RIL83 | Halfords UK )
The plan now will be to fit a USB port in the boot of the car so I can leave one in there charging, the only thing I’ll need assistance with is finding a switched live so it’s not charging while the car is off ( back to the story of the XJ’s sensitivity of the battery).
Hah, lovely post and made me smile first thing on rising with my cuppa - thanks for that Glenn ;)

Actually, Anita is very generous and thoughtful, just a bit difficult when it comes to spending money on our cars in the prevention mode and needs to be understood and handled with great care, preparation and well in advance. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I hope you managed to get Janis' car cleaned, so much nicer to drive like that, especially when popping over to see her daughter and I bet they are both well in the thick of it by now, nothing like a good catch up on a Sunday eh?

I took a look at your torch and actually it looks just right for car work, more so than the one I have, as the light itself tilts where mine doesn't, good rating too, just as well you have a spare in case they sell out, no fear you're getting like Jim and myself though, as you only have two, so I think you are safe as yet ;)

Tool Font Output device Electronic device Gadget

· Premium Member
18,884 Posts
Nice little surprise today, my bestest friend had only gone and booked Desiree in for a hand wash where I took her for a valet/detailing jooby last time. Our usual chappie Steve, who is brilliant by the way, didn't bother to get back to us as usual, so I couldn't be bothered to wait and found these two lovely gents who did a stonking job on her as I told them so at the time. Still feel a loyalty to Steve though, daft I know, but there you go.

Anyway, where was I, oh yes, apparently Anita went there yesterday but they were too busy, told her they would squeeze her in today as it was only for the outside. The thing is, I usually sort our lot out myself, but to be honest I have not been up to it for weeks now which meant she has been out in all weathers, no cover on, running us to various appointments, which just lately there have been many more of, so the poor gal was in quite a mess, not least being peppered with leaves and detritus which has been blowing about like some sort of crazy where we are here.

So, when I pulled back my curtains at a tad after 12.30 lunch time today, you could have knocked me down with a feather - there she was all wrapped up nice and cosy in her over coat - WHOOSH! How marvellous was that? One very pleased and relieved Ruby, I can tell you. :giggle:

Not only that, but I was also given another gifty, my, my, my, the moths are flying high today

View attachment 58563

Brilliant in all sense of the word and bought to help with my DIY in the 'workshop' when a little extra light is needed on the subject matter in hand. Well, how thoughtful is that eh? Chuffed to bits with it and a mighty useful gadget for me, as you know, I go in the garage in the evening, so working by electric light even with two or 3 on, you inevitably cast a shadow somewhere along the lines.

View attachment 58570
That was a nice wee surprise Gina, wouldn't mind a surprise like that myself, chance would be a fine thing lol.

They're big ole cars and can take a bit of getting around to do them properly, can be hard going, especially if you're not up for it or 100%

One thing I didn't get round to this weekend unfortunately, may be able to squeeze it in during the week we'll see.
Light looks handy too

Jim

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
That was a nice wee surprise Gina, wouldn't mind a surprise like that myself, chance would be a fine thing lol.

They're big ole cars and can take a bit of getting around to do them properly, can be hard going, especially if you're not up for it or 100%

One thing I didn't get round to this weekend unfortunately, may be able to squeeze it in during the week we'll see.
Light looks handy too

Jim
Absolutely Jim and really appreciated too (y)

Getting her cleaned was playing heavily on my mind and you know how that feels, I hope you manage to get your lovely girl(s) done in the week while it's dry, but regarding you having a surprise like mine, I think you are right about your chances, although to be fair, it would be a mammoth task for Tress even though she does have boundless energy :)

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Busy day Monday and before putting the additive in our Bentus and taking her out for a spin, first put the Archoil AR6400-D MAX into the Merc and then topped her up with diesel, not too bad this time, as she was already just over half full.

Font Parallel Number Music Document
Automotive tire Fluid Font Fender Hood

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Tints and shades Gas
Tire Automotive tire Bottle Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
About 9 months after bringing Desiree home, we booked her in to have her paintwork corrected as there were the expected wear and tear swirls in the paintwork and one area that was pretty bad. We go to Steve of Black Diamond Valeting, and he also gave her years of protection by applying ceramic coating. Apparently, she gave him a bit of a job, as he told her being a Merc, as with most of the German brands, the paint tends to be 'hard' and takes some working to get the marks out, having said that, he also said he prefers to work on hard rather than soft paint as he can gauge the depth and rate of removal better - all sounds reasonable to me.

The first 4 photos are taken before Steve worked his magic and the others were taken afterwards. Unfortunately, they are a little dark and as before making her look almost navy blue/black in colour, which is a shame, but in the afternoon the sun is in the back of our bungalow. Still, I think you can see by the reflections going on in her paintwork, Steve has done a superb job and we were bowled over when we went to go and collect her ... a clever gent with a keen eye for detail-ing (y);)

This is what Steve put on his facebook page...

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Before 2 stage paint correction & ceramic coating

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Tire

Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire Car

Car Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
After 2 stage paint correction & ceramic coating

Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive side-view mirror

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Fun and games tonight in Desiree, took her cover off, in I jump and start her up, dash lights up like the proverbial Christmas tree but engine does a whimper but doesn't catch. try again but no joy.

Now the real fun begins like, where's the battery situated and will there be enough juice in it to start the engine and where's the jump starter thingamajig and will it be charged up sufficiently?

Then of course the question is, do I buy a new battery as she has not had one since we have had her, unlike the other two cars, OR do I get yet another CTEK charger as I distinctly remember (how could I forget?) TheBoy in his own inimitable style, telling me that once the battery is dead, it stays dead and no charger ain't going to change that situation.

First things first - find the charger - bingo! In the cupboard and put my hands straight on it. Read the instructions in the light, got a troch and out we go. .
Now the battery - lift the bonnet and I spy a red cover with a plus sign on it, ah-hah charging point me thinks, I slide the cover back and there it is the +ive connector and a nice big juicy engine body bolt close by for the -ive connection, easy-peasy lemon squeezy.

Now I can tell you straight, I am one mighty scared Ruby at this point :oops:

Car keys were in my pocket, and thinking back to advice given to me by TheBoy (which I do every time I use my CTEKs) I said out loud 'Red on first and Red off last' and repeated it, then on went the red clip to the +ive accessory connector and afterwards the Black clip to the -ive stud 💥 that's right, a bang with a big flash and the black clip flew off the stud and both Anita and I flew in the air along with it.

Cartoon Rectangle Organism Art Happy

So now, I not only have to reset the booster by holding the button in to stop the flashing red/green light to give me a green light, but I have to reconnect the two crocodile clips back where they were again - I ain't a kiddin you, I was to put it politely bricking it with my hand bobbing in and out of the engine bay like a fiddler's elbow, with the fiddler just having drunk a gallon of Sebastian Vettel's favourite drink.

Several minutes later I eventually got the green light and somewhat on a high myself, shot behind the wheel, turned her over and on the second attempt she fired up - eureka I thought. jumped out equally fast, disconnected the jump starter and instead of going to a friend as planned off I headed up the motorway.

This is the device I have, put on a previous post earlier this year, where #steve pointed out that his has a 'boost' button to help top up the battery if there is still some power left in the battery, so it may be worth considering and paying the extra. Certainly a small and handy device to carry in the car if you are say, staying over night somewhere in this cold weather and have a slightly ****y battery. Just make sure the device is fully charged up before you set off though.

Product Font Motor vehicle Auto part Art

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Font String instrument accessory

· Premium Member
18,884 Posts
Funny, I did "think" about buying one of those, I remember seeing Steve's post some time ago, but, have resisted so far lol

Here's hoping it's not one of those need it and don't have it scenarios.

Jim

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Funny, I did "think" about buying one of those, I remember seeing Steve's post some time ago, but, have resisted so far lol

Here's hoping it's not one of those need it and don't have it scenarios.

Jim
I'm right behind you there, and have to admit I have only used ours a few times, but then again that was enough to make it worth the money AND it it also gives a little peace of mind as at least it works and is some form of back-up.

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I have just taken a look on the net to try and find the price of the jump starter model I have, but seems they don't have that one now, funny as it was all over Amazon at the time I got mine, i.e. same design from different sellers - well you know how it goes with this type of kit. Anyway, I thought I would put something together to give you an idea of what's out there and prices, but I can't cater for everyone, so like I say, this is just a taster and not a recommendation as the only one I can recommend is the one I have and you can't buy that one.

So, the criteria I looked for was the same as I did when I looked for mine and in relation to the cars I had at the time, which was a 6 litre petrol and 2.7 litre diesel 4X4, hence I was after jump starter for both petrol and diesel, with a capacity to start at least 6L petrol and 3L diesel, with good reviews and star rating, a high purchase rate, reasonably priced, oh yes and one with a boost button if I could find it and this is what I came up with:

NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000A 12V UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Jump Starter, Heavy-Duty Battery Booster Power Pack, Powerbank Charger, and Jump Leads for up to 6.0L Petrol and 3.0L Diesel Engines : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

GOOLOO Car Jump Starter Power Pack 1200A Peak 18000mAh(Up to 7.5L Gas or 6.5L Diesel Engine)12V Portable Car Battery Smart Booster Jump Starter Pack Kit with Quick Charge, DC Port, LED Flashlight : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Product Automotive design

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Okey-dokey, back to yesterday and Desiree bursting into life with the help of the jump starter much to the relief of both of us, and as I said, off up to the M5 I toddle. I decided I would give her a steady drive up to the first junction on from Exeter, Sowton which takes me to Cullompton, and it was now at 5.00pm or there abouts, so the traffic was building up, but I must admit, not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I also thought it would be a good idea to take it easy so that the DPF thingy had a chance to do its stuff and I have read various schools of thought on how fast and how long this takes so it was really a matter of fingers crossed and hope for the best.

This is what I did first on the way up and second on the way back, which I was able to do a little slower as the traffic was far less although I still had the heebie-jeebies thinking someone might misjudge my speed and rear-end me, anyway, take a look and see if you think I was in with a chance of if I have to drive for much long time wise please...

60 mph 10 miles 10 mins
55 mph 10 miles 12 mins

The whole drive was about an 1 1/4 hours after which I was back in Exmouth and then I called in to see my friend as previously planned.

While I was out I was doing some serious thinking, a bit of a battle going on in me old bonce there was, weighing up the pros and cons if you will

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle
Pollinator Insect Arthropod Gesture Cartoon

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Carnivore Cartoon Terrestrial animal Font Tail
I suppose with Christmas run up they are busy ...

Font Parallel Screenshot Cable Document

· Premium Member
18,884 Posts

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Good call Gina, the one I'd probably consider too, over the MX5

Jim
It arrived this evening, and this is the 3rd one now Jim, and it seems to keep the other 2 cars happy, so we shall see. Pouring with rain all day and still at it, still, I might get a chance to set it up if there is a break at some point, we shall see.

• Helpful

· Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Screen wash topped up and a good tip from MrKis on another post was "Try not to put too much in, then you can thin it out in the warmer months to avoid it sitting in there and congealing" especially good for me as my girlies sit around alot and the washers don't get used much. Bet you can imagine me now, having a regular water feature when I get in them now eh? 💦💦💦:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pictures of my new kitty ...

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Blue

· Premium Member
18,884 Posts
Screen wash topped up and a good tip from MrKis on another post was "Try not to put too much in, then you can thin it out in the warmer months to avoid it sitting in there and congealing" especially good for me as my girlies sit around alot and the washers don't get used much. Bet you can imagine me now, having a regular water feature when I get in them now eh? 💦💦💦:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pictures of my new kitty ...

View attachment 59933
Good, all done now Gina, rest easy...

Jim

41 - 60 of 66 Posts