Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.7d 2006 S Type has developed a serious water leak from somewhere in the nearside front of the engine bay (that’s the right hand side as you stand in front of the car). Reading through previous posts it seems this is not uncommon and can be from one of several sources including damaged radiator, rusted steel water pipes, rubber hoses or plastic inlet/outlet manifolds. The problem is the engine is so damned crowded in that area that it’s impossible to see down into the leakage zone without removing the plastic front radiator splash shield from under the car. All I can see is water dripping off the undershield and liberally spraying the N/S front suspension – it’s losing about 1 litre every 100 miles and getting worse by the day, so much so that I’ve stopped using the car for fear of a major failure.

Straight away though I’ve run into a problem in getting the aforementioned plastic undershield off. The Jaguar manual shows it held in place by 18 (yes eighteen!!) small Torx headed screws that seem to attach into spire clips and every one of them is seized such that the whole clip rotates behind the plastic shield when I try to unfasten them. If it was one or two seized fasteners then I would happily drill them out but do I really have to spend a day drilling all 18 out? And if I elect not to do this then I will only pass this work (and hourly cost) onto a garage and end up paying handsomely for it.

Question: What experience have others on this forum had with trying to remove this undershield, and are the spire clips readily replaceable or will I have destroyed the fixing point in my drilling attempts? I have never shied away from any job on a car but this is really starting to bug me.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
There are kits (stainless steel) available on Flea Bay. Looks like you need to get the drill out!

(I have the same problem, getting the cover off that is) I bought a set when I was going to convert my spot lights to daylight running lights, another of those jobs I never quite got around to.

Regards................IP

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, I didn't think of eBay as a source of these clips. Thanks, I've ordered a set.

Still not looking forward to all that drilling though!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
can you post a link please :-D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eBay item number:

These look like the type of fittings that hold the radiator splash shield in place, I'll post an update when I finally get the offending item off.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Thank you. They look very interesting.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
It may be easier to take the whole bumper off as it's less fittings!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
It may be easier to take the whole bumper off as it's less fittings!
Nice bit of lateral thinking! It would mean undoing several fixings on both the wheel arch liners, but still less of a pain than doing all that drilling.

Whilst the bumper was off (if you decide to remove it), I would give the wiring loom that runs across the front of the car behind the bumper, a good looking at, as there have been instances of chafing etc., causing all sorts of weird faults.

I think removal of the bumper could save a lot of drilling as presumably the spire nuts that are just spinning now would be accessible to hold with pliers or vice grips.

Do keep us posted please.....................................IP

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I dont know where the oil drainage plug is on the diesel but if it like my car, then I have to remove this panel when I want to give her an oil change. So I would kill two birds and do both jobs at the same time.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
On my S type the cover that hides the engine sump drain plug is separate from the radiator bottom cover. The rad one is bolted to the bottom of the front bumper,

Regards.............................IP

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Same on mine but surely the front rad cover does not have 17 bolts like the eBay offer has when you buy it and I would change them all to save lots of choice words later.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

Hope this helps........................................IP

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spot on IP, unfortunately this is the case! The other (larger) panel comes off every year for servicing.

The radiator shield has never been off - credit to Jaguar as its gone for 109,000 miles trouble-free.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, thanks IP, I saw that in the manual. There are two sorts of rad splashshield listed, the panel you've shown is for cars built up to 01/2004.

From 02/2004 onward they made it a whole lot more complicated. I can only imagine they increased the number of fasteners for added security at the time of the facelift.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hmmm the splashshield diagram was from the manual with this frontispiece:-

I thought this was the latest edition

From memory my radiator splash shield is the same as the diagram

Curious....................................IP

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hmmm the splashshield diagram was from the manual with this frontispiece:-

I thought this was the latest edition

From memory my radiator splash shield is the same as the diagram

Curious....................................IP
Doh! just noticed this is 2002.5 edition I misread it as 2005 edition! anyone got a link to the later edition one pls.

Regards...............IP

·
Registered
22,331 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.