Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2003 X350 XJ6. The VIN appears to show it's actually the 2004MY. It has jaguar voice and a rear entertainment system (audio). I'm giving consideration to adding bluetooth connectivity to the car. I'd like it to be as original-looking as possible so it really leaves me with two options:

(1) Retrofitting of the bluetooth system and upgrading the screen to enable bluetooth connectivity and use of a more modern sat nav system, as pioneered by some members of this site.
(2) Removal of the current screen and replacement with the climate control system and addition of a double din head unit featuring apple carplay and therefore the addition of bluetooth calling/music library, app usage, etc.

The initial concerns that spring to mind are:
- Would fitting (1) mean that I get the full 'factory' look but lose the functionality I would get from (2).
- Would fitting (2) mean that the jaguar voice system stops working? (I presume it is controlled by the same computer that controls the screen)
- Would fitting (2) effect the rear entertainment system in any way?

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of forum members who have tried either (or both!) and pros and cons of each before I proceed to tear my car apart!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
On that theme...I've just bought a 55 plate 2.7 TDVi Sovereign with all the bells and whistles BUT it has the cassette version of the audio setup. Is it possible to replace it with the CD version, possibly with an AUX input???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich,

I'm assuming you have the touchscreen. If so it would appear that the tape / CD deck of the system can simply be swapped out.

However if you want an aux input (which I don't believe either of the above have) you would need to consider replacing the touchscreen with the 'manual' system, so that you can fit a single DIN stereo system that has such an input. It will mean having to obtain a fascia plate to ensure the correct fit. Doing this will mean you are likely to encounter the dilemma I first raised above, and I am as yet unable to identify a solution to this.

·
Premium Member
XF S 3.0D V6 18MY Italian Racing Red
7,018 Posts
Rich,

I'm assuming you have the touchscreen. If so it would appear that the tape / CD deck of the system can simply be swapped out.

However if you want an aux input (which I don't believe either of the above have) you would need to consider replacing the touchscreen with the 'manual' system, so that you can fit a single DIN stereo system that has such an input. It will mean having to obtain a fascia plate to ensure the correct fit. Doing this will mean you are likely to encounter the dilemma I first raised above, and I am as yet unable to identify a solution to this.
You can add an audio input to both the cassette and cd headunits. There's a thread on here about it by Ben Willcox.

So no need to spoil your XJ looks with aftermarket kit.

the headunit is the D2B optical network hub and is key to any telematics that may be fitted in the boot, including Nav, phone and voice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can add an audio input to both the cassette and cd headunits. There's a thread on here about it by Ben Willcox.

So no need to spoil your XJ looks with aftermarket kit.

the headunit is the D2B optical network hub and is key to any telematics that may be fitted in the boot, including Nav, phone and voice.
This answers my original question about whether removing the touchscreen would mess with other features, so thanks!

Since I originally posed the question I have gone off the idea of replacing the touchscreen with an apple carplay double DIN unit. The main reason for this is that google maps won't work on the carplay screen, only apple maps. And I have always found apple maps to be utterly horrendous at doing what it was designed for, so it seems a little pointless in going to all this trouble!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I might take a closer look at fitting the CD but I rather like the touchscreen so I'll keep that. If I do fit the CD deck I'll keep the cassette unit to enable reversion back to original fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.