Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Mine came up a while back when I fuelled up the car. I drove to my destination a further 5 miles. When I returned to the car and started it an hour later the warning had disappeared. It has never come back since. Oh I forgot to say it was p155ing down with rain at the time as well. I hope yours is just a glitch and decides to fix it's self as well. :confused:

·
Registered
387 Posts
+1 on the glitch fella. best of luck

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
Less chance of being a glitch if the weather isn't freezing. Mine had a suspension fault message but was in winter as if the suspension doesn't raise by a set amount in a set time the same message can be displayed. In winter colder denser air makes the compressor work harder to raise the car and occasionally it can't raise enough in time.Then again probably unlikely with summer temps (even in Switzerland?) and there are a number of other air suspension faults that can trigger that message. Hope its just a glitch for you.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It was warm today 25°C and the car was certainly warmer than that in the sun.
Started her up & let the aircon blast the hot air out for a few minutes.
Got in, made it 100m down the road & the message came up.
Drove OK but for some reason the car didn't "feel" the same as usual.
Suspension felt stiffer than I remembered.

Got home, the ride height seemed normal. Parked up in the garage, turned it off & on again, msg still there.
Gave it a strong push at each corner, and it was very stiff. Never actually did that before so I don't know what it's meant to feel like...

I'm going to leave it overnight to see if maybe one of the corners drops more than the others.

Noticed recently an intermittent, but strong clicking sound after start up while idling.
After reading up it seems there's a relay that burns out over time, maybe that clicking was the relay cycling?

More investigation tomorrow...thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The fault code will probably tell you the problem, but the most common fault is the air compressor. There will also be a relay to switch it on and off.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Just a long shot Cambo, it may be worth checking to see if the sensors on each corner are fixed in place as i had read that if the fixing corrodes and come lose it can throw up a fault....from what i remember the owner tied the sensor back into place with a zip tie .... maybe worth a look

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so I lost patience & went out to the car for another look. Suspension had not noticeably dropped in 5 hours, good sign.

Started her up, no lifting at the front like usual, not sure what to make of that.

Light was out, message was gone. Went for a drive up the street, and again after 100m or so the light was back on along with the message.

Did a little more reading about the air suspension system;

Stance Mode, Vehicle parked with engine running.
- Lifting with reservoir
- Lowering permitted
- Compressor unpowered unless reservoir pressure is below a preset minimum and the vehicle is below the compressor activation height

Drive Mode, Driving.
- Lowering permitted at all speeds

When vehicle speed is below 40 km/h (25 mph):
-- Lifting with reservoir
-- Compressor unpowered unless reservoir pressure is below a preset minimum and the vehicle is below the compressor activation height

When vehicle speed is above 40 km/h (25 mph):
-- Compressor powered to lift vehicle and refill reservoir
OK so i'd say, that after about 100m I reach 40 kmh and that's when the light/message comes on.

So it looks like a compressor problem, maybe the relay, given that it hasn't dropped in 5 hours which would indicate no (serious) leaks.

Will leave it overnight & see what happens in the morning. BTW fuse F6 is OK, not sure about the relay R1, that needs a closer look.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Buck agreed the clicking suggests a relay. However have heard the clicking sounds on a p38 range when the compressor was on its way out and the pump was overheating. But that was very HOT!

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
some of the relays eg horn are built into the fuse box circuitry meaning new fuse box,hopefully if it is the relay it can be replaced just with a new relay and not a fuse box.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OK 99% sure the clicking has nothing to do with the relay, it actually is more of a metallic ticking, and seems to be coming from the left side cool charger, or maybe within the supercharger itself. It's that kind of metallic tick after you shutdown an engine, and the exhaust makes that ticking sound as it cools, metallic parts expanding/contracting against themselves, if you know what i mean....btw after shutting down the warm engine it continues to intermittently tick away, but it's quite loud so that'll need investigation.

Now, back to the suspension.

The car hadn't dropped unevenly overnight; ~390 at the front & ~380 at the rear.
I looked up the relays in the wiring schematics;

Fusebox under the bonnet;

R1 = Air Suspension
R2 = Main Beam

Those relays are identical, and I haven't been using main beam since I did the dodgy hackwork on the lights.

So swapped the relays over, started it up, no light/message.
Let it get warm, and went for a drive, past 40kmh, still no light/message.
Went for a drive to the next village, gave it some beans & threw it into a corner, still no light/message.

Fingers crossed the relay was weak and that's the end of it.

Oh, and FWIW, I tried the push test on each corner again, a lot softer with a bit of bounce.
So it seems that when the light/message comes on, the suspension goes rock hard, no wonder it felt different on the to drive....

Something to think about if you're on the road and you get the Air Suspension Failure message....

HOWEVER

I just went out again and the damn light/message is back...and the suspension is stiff as a rock...

Sooo....time to start working through each piece of the chain, starting with the height sensors.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Good luck Cambo. Started mine up the other day and felt every bump in the road and she felt like a lead weight. No msgs, so pulled over and restarted the engine. Sweet as a nut and has never come back.
Gremlins!!!!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I think the fault code is C2303 for compressor issues, as I remember it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys.

My cheapo code-reader isn't picking up any codes.
With luck i might be able to get IDS up & running tomorrow (bought a JLR Mongoose off ebay).
I can't afford to give the car to the local dealer or indy. It's gonna have to be a DIY job....

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Without wanting to speak too soon, the problem seems to have gone, been out this morning done several stop-start cycles & it has behaved.

Got the IDS going, it brought up three codes for the air suspension.
Unfortunately the screenshot I took has been lost, but I remember the descriptions;

Left front air strut open circuit (temporary) = think i did this myself by disconnecting the plug on the top of the strut.
Air compressor relay open circuit (temporary) = again i think i did this myself when swapping the relays
Air reservoir plausibility error (temporary) = this seems to be the problem, sorry I didn't write down the code C28??

I cleared all the codes from the car cause there were a lot of them in there, mostly unrelated random stuff about seat heaters and the CD player.

So yes it seems to be a gremlin! Gonna go for another drive and then i'll know for sure what the codes are if the message comes back.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Best of luck with that, here's hoping for the gremlins.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey Cambo, how come you don't have a supercharged logo on your speedo?? Maybe its not an XJR??

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it says Supercharged on the Tacho & the Fuel/Temp gauge. No room on the Speedo cause of the dual scale MPH/KMH. It's an R mate, no doubt about it. Here's to Gremlins! Did a 100km round trip this arvo, it's behaving again...touch wood.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.