Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my Super V8 has been in the garage for a few weeks for a service and MOT.
Turned out there was quite a list of things that needed attention.

So the header tank for coolant had a weep on it so that was replaced. The washer pump packed up two days before the car went in so that was done as well.

There was a lower rear wishbone needed so they did that.
I had been hearing a slight noise from the rear so they did a road test and ran it on the ramp to diagnose a rear wheel bearing needed. It was a slight noise and some people could not hear it but it was annoying me.

Anyway there was further bad news........the rear brake pipes that pass above the rear subframe were corroded and definitely had to be done.
The problem with this is the subframe complete assembly had to be dropped to do it, a very time consuming job.

So they started the removal job and then found the fixing bolts were seized and just spinning, after several hours the technician succeeded and got the frame out.
Greased up new bolts for the refit to help in the future as this car is a keeper for me.

Ok, another issue now......both of the rear Brembo callipers had seized bleed nipples, they gave me the part numbers so I could try to find some as the proper Jaguar price was over a £1000 the pair , arghhh

I searched online and ebay but there were only about six listed and I guessed they may not be any better than my own.
I then found a local chap who sells new and used spares so gave him a call. What a result, he had recently got in an XJR the same age as my car and it had the Brembo system.
I said if he could confirm there was nothing seized then I would have them, he was barely 20 minutes away.
He called me back half hour later and confirmed they were fine. I asked him how much he wanted for them and he said as I was local I could have them both for £150, I collected them an hour later and gave him some extra as well.

Took them back to the technician ( bear in mind this is a Jaguar main dealer I have used for 30 years and they really look after me well ) and he got them fitted.

The whole assembly was refitted and then ready for the actual MOT test , one problem then arose, the electric hand brake did not give a high enough efficiency reading so needed a new unit.
I called the guy breaking the XJR and he took the part off the breaker car for me, he also let me have the front brembo callipers for the future if they are needed, one had a seized nipple so he only charged me £50 for the pair.
The cables for the handbrake were not good enough so the dealer supplied a new pair for me.

One more issue when it was all finished was the airbag light came on, never ever had it before but they diagnosed the " clock spring " behind the wheel, it is quite a common fault mentioned on the forums from time to time, they had one in stock so fitted and all tested ok.
So after a few weeks off the road, they know I am happy to fit in around their work load as I know they always sort out a very good price at the end , i also have the other Jaguar and an early Grand Cherokee I can use, so I collected the car on Thursday and all is good.
So pleased to have it back and to hear that super charger whine again.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Did you have to get a mortgage for that lot:-?. Must have been expensive but well worth it.

Roger

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They kept it as low as possible and bearing in mind I supplied the callipers and hand brake unit, ( I also supplied the oil for the service as well ), all in all it was a bit under £3000, I had not spent much on it this year so I can,t grumble really, at least I know it is all done now and good for a bit longer, I am hoping to keep the car a long time, also what else could I do really, can't sell it needing the work doing and having no MOT, I would still have to find a replacement as well, It took me a while to find it when I was looking to trade my 3.5SE in three years ago.
I specifically wanted a petrol one in the same colour as the SE was, spent every evening on auto trader and ebay until after 2 weeks found this one had just been advertised a couple of hours before.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I was only joking:-D, I bought my car over nine years ago at 28k miles for the same reason and have maintained it myself for the same reason. I have added 80K in that time and it is still going strong.

Roger

·
Registered
92 Posts
3K in one sitting, ouch. To those people who wonder why these cars are reasonably priced to buy, that’s their answer!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly. The car was about £74000 when new in 2004, I have an original brochure and it was certainly fully loaded with options. I got it 3 years ago with about 112000 miles or so on it for about £8750 I think, a fraction of new price. However when it goes wrong it is still expensive. I am lucky the main dealer let me source my own parts, either new or used, and they fit them. I have known them for 30 years now, having had a total of 9 Jaguars over that time.
It is still wonderful to drive and even if it costs a bit each year I would not swap it for a " normal " car at all.
I have probably spent maybe a total of £5000 on it in three years but I have done around 60000 miles in that time so cannot grumble really.
My 2011 XJL is a bit over 6 1/2 years old now ( my first ever brand new car, and my last ! ) and has now done 82000 miles, for that one I have been taking out the full Jaguar Warranty each year, quite expensive but peace of mind and spread over 10 monthly payments.
Funny though I have barely used the warranty since having it, you can bet that if I did not renew it next March then something major would go wrong !

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
Plenty of work in one sitting Roviw, been there myself but it only hurts for a little bit

Big sense of satisfaction too knowing its all done and you can enjoy

Happy motoring mate
Jim

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
Well it could be worse , I got an estimate for a repaint from Aston Martin last week £36000 , a DB9 Volante owner had baulked
at this and the car is with us instead .
The car is only 2005 though I think its had paintwork done before, its been overzealously
" flattened " and now won't polish up . The owner who quite strangely is an optician apparently
never noticed this when he purchased the car , seduced by those curves and the roar of the V12
no doubt . 43000 miles and five owners

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it could be worse , I got an estimate for a repaint from Aston Martin last week £36000 , a DB9 Volante owner had baulked
at this and the car is with us instead .
The car is only 2005 though I think its had paintwork done before, its been overzealously
" flattened " and now won't polish up . The owner who quite strangely is an optician apparently
never noticed this when he purchased the car , seduced by those curves and the roar of the V12
no doubt . 43000 miles and five owners
He obviously did not go to " Specsavers" haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.