Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old girl has just passed the 180k mile mark and going strong (still getting nearly 50mpg on a long trip, no visible rust, and driving flawlessly).

I would like to keep her a bit longer although I realise that I may be on borrowed time eg she's got I am pretty sure the original clutch (bought her eight years ago with 108k on the clock), injectors, gearbox and turbo and I realise that replacing one of these is probably more than she is worth - I will probably do that as I will still have a car that I know and trust. There's often a few little things which go wrong but so far they seem cheap and easy to fix, and eminently forgivable on such an old lady.

I have read that a lot of people talk about changing the gearbox oil - some every two years! - I don't think that this has ever been done before and I believe that Jag says that these are "sealed for life". I welcome any opinion as to whether I should get the garage to do this at the next service (gearbox is okay but sometimes I fancy that gear changes are a touch notchy when the car is slow) - or should I not try and fix what isn't broken.

Any other suggestions for preventative maintenance - eg remove covers on sills and treat rust (no signs), etc. I've never had a car as old or as high mileage as her before.

The drive belt was replaced about 30k miles ago (I do regret not going for the enhanced version). I had her terra cleaned two years ago and that made a great improvement. EGR has been blanked off three years ago as I got fed up with having to replace them every 30k miles.

She's a 2.2d 2006 Sovereign Estate

· Premium Member
17,946 Posts
There's arguments for both sides.....get it done or leave well alone.

On our automatics we get them done around every 40k-50k miles, not heard so much of this on the manuals, assuming yours is a manual?
Perhaps some of the X type gurus will chime in......

My one recommendation is servicing, do it more than regularly and she'll thank you, at least every 10 months I'd say.....engine oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter too, pollen filter as an option
Depending on how you do this shouldn't cost more than £80 or so and cheap cheap preventative maintenance

Jim

· Registered
5,836 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.