Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, had a new radio put in today....later on my sidelights will not go off..tried disconnecting battery and touching terminals together and connecting it again but no joy....all four sidelights still on......??

G

·
I think Zulu10 is correct.
I'm pretty sure there are two lighting feeds to the radio - one is from the "dimmer controlled lighting circuit" and the other is from the "dimmer override" circuit. If it's a non-standard head-unit - it may be that those two wires need changing over, or maybe only one will be usable.
The two wires are Red/Blue, and Red/Light Green.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep guys, it is the radio, will take it back tomorrow and get it sorted, you were both right, 12v power coming in and going back out to the sidelight circuit.....

G

·
Bit cheeky but ........... is the original the Harmon-Karden head-unit (with the sort-of joy stick button on the right hand side) and if so - do you want to sell it ?

The backlighting on my LCD screen has gone, and it's quite a difficult job to renew the bulb so I would prefer to have a spare "just in case" before I start to take mine to pieces. If you want to keep it - that's fine, but if it's going to end up on Ebay, I would like "first refusal" !!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry David, but popped it on ebay and it went in less than a day mate......!!!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries - mine works fine - just the LCD backlight that's gone so will wait until one comes up at a sensible price.
That is the very reason I changed mine sir....!!

( Put in an Alpine CDE 178BT, works great, sounds fab, 4 x 50w, and put the i-pod through it, my android phone works via bluetooth, the display can be set to green, etc.... ) !!

G

·
That is the very reason I changed mine sir....!!

( Put in an Alpine CDE 178BT, works great, sounds fab, 4 x 50w, and put the i-pod through it, my android phone works via bluetooth, the display can be set to green, etc.... ) !!
Mine's the "premium" kit so much more difficult to connect a new head unit up to the amplifier in the boot or to connect all the speakers up to a new head unit.
Also - do your steering wheel controls work with the new unit ? I know there are connectors available to get this functionality, but it doesn't seem to be straightforward.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine's the "premium" kit so much more difficult to connect a new head unit up to the amplifier in the boot or to connect all the speakers up to a new head unit.
Also - do your steering wheel controls work with the new unit ? I know there are connectors available to get this functionality, but it doesn't seem to be straightforward.
Surely the simplest solution would be to get rid of the amp and run new cables from the new head unit to the speakers as necessary.

Also, have you seen on ebay you can get a kit to replace the stereo?

Obviously its for a 2000 on, rather than a '97, but it might well be a good starting point.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-X...hash=item542cf500bb:m:m_ch3U9riDexXspFJ0bAaIQ

Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Auto part Automotive lighting Cable

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a used fascia for 15 pounds, a rectangular one to replace my triangular standard one. Yes the steering wheel controls do work, and when I got the harness, the choice was amplifier version or non, mine was the non....

G

·
Nerja. Yes - everything is possible but the "premium" system is actually quite sophisticated with (I think) a four-way stereo active crossover in the amplifier to the speakers. The speakers are wired from the boot (trunk) so not only is it quite a complicated wiring job, but I'm not convinced the sound quality will be much better - if at all. Maybe more volume, but that's not the same thing. I have an auxiliary input switched to use the CD input if required, and I can wire a Bluetooth adapter into that if I want to. I accept that the original Harmon Karden head unit looks a bit "old-fashioned" compared to more modern kit, but I also think it looks "right" in the centre console which (and it's a personal opinion) I don't think is the case with a lot of the all-singing all-dancing aftermarket units that are available.
I think if I were going to change the look completely, I would go for a double-din unit with a lot more options and functionality.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
I accept that the original Harmon Karden head unit looks a bit "old-fashioned" compared to more modern kit, but I also think it looks "right" in the centre console which (and it's a personal opinion) I don't think is the case with a lot of the all-singing all-dancing aftermarket units that are available.
I agree with you. I like the look of the original head unit as it matches the rest of the switches - this is why I have kept mine and added a Bluetooth input to the CD. This way I can keep the OEM look, but with modern Bluetooth streaming audio from my phone. I never use the radio, although I might buy a cassette on ebay so I can use the tape player. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.