Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

After i replaced the intercooler to egr hose, there's a wire smoking in the engine bay. The wire that sits on the right of the diesel rail. After i start the car it starts to melt the insulation of the wire after a few seconds.
All the connectors are plugged in and there is no obvious damage to other wires...

Where do i start? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Jim

Attachments

· Registered
110 Posts
This might be a wild steer but just check that the sensor in the middle of the hose you replaced is not rubbing on the crank pulley. Mine was after a replacement silicon hose was fitted. I had to cut the hose down to gain clearance. Luckily I noticed before it wore away the sensor. Possible you have the same issue and the sensor is causing a short in the wiring loom.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave, i'm sure it's not rubbing. I think i found the problem... http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=39316
The connector to the glow plug lead was very corroded and broke off just by fumbling with it. I cut the connector out and joined the wires temporarily and so far no smoke. I'll get some heavy duty wire connectors and fix it in a safer manner soon.
Seems that the problem was not really connected to my earlier repairs... Maybe removing the engine cover was enough to nudge the wire and cause a faulty connection?

Jim

· Registered
2,750 Posts
It's too cold to go out and look, but isn't that the glow plug earth lead?

If so, it would explain the heating up for a few seconds after starting the car. If you have a dodgy glow plug or the connection is a bit loose/cr*ppy, it would explain.

Someone more experienced than me want to comment???

Tony

· Registered
47 Posts
Had similar issues - can confirm that is the glow plug lead, the conection arrangment is poor and gives a bad connection. This high resistance joint then gets hot under load producing the smoke you see. Had to remake connection with heavy duty crimps after it melted the support insulator and fell apart :)

· Registered
6,636 Posts

· Registered
6,636 Posts
The power feed nut looks a bit oxidised. It could be creating extra resistance to the supply voltage.

It might just need a good clean. The wire insulation looks a bit hammered, probably need to replace that bit.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My reply somehow didn't get posted, but in short: it's fixed. The glow plug lead connector was indeed the culprit. Very corroded and brittle! I removed it (with ease, it fell apart really) and joined the wires with crimps... like 'Qman' did. No more smoke.
Thanks for the help!

Jim

· Registered
6,636 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed and working.

I learned something new today. Nice one. Cheers.

· Registered
2,750 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for coming back and telling us of your success. Too many people come on here asking for help and then you never hear from them again.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tony

· Registered
276 Posts
Common Fault, the glow plugs (All four) draw about 50 Amp from cold, then the system drops them out, problem most people have is finding a suitable crimp tool to replace the connector (You cannot use the normal Red Blue Yellow crimp tool) I had access to a the next size up, the other way is to solder the new connector on (You will need a 50W iron)

Another point is that the glow plug circuit will remain on for some time (if its a cold day) until the engine heats up

· Registered
4,382 Posts
He fixed it a couple of weeks ago.

· Registered
276 Posts
Hello Wilber, just added some more information that may help other people, the 50 Amp bit, is a easy check with a DC clamp meter / if it does not draw this amount you know you have a issue, along with the fact that the system will remain on until the engine heats up on a cold day, the connector bit is a pain and stops people trying to crimp with a normal crimp tool, I do take your point that this was resolved, but you will get people hunting through threads like this at a latter date,

Cheers Ian G

· Registered
4,382 Posts
Fair enough, I agree it could be useful info. Just thought I'd point it out in case you hadn't noticed and expected a reply from the OP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.