Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new here. This is a tough one. I loved my aunt so much and she had this beautiful blue Jag that she let me drive once after she got it back in 2008. I didn't ever think about wanting that specific car, to be honest, but I have always loved roadsters and since I worked on my company's UK business back in the late 2000's, I tend to be partial to all things British. And that only made worse the fascination I always had as a kid for MGs, Triumphs, anything small and fun, quick, well engineered. A Morgan would be a dream for instance. Astons and the sporty Jaguars too, they are lovely, but those are way pricey, so maybe just a nice pipedream for Someday when I retire? I also like Porsches, but there's definitely a preference for British cars, so I drove a cooper S for 8 years and loved that for the driving experience. I had to move on from it unfortunately. My aunt's Jaguar though, yeah that was fun - still the nicest car I've ever driven. Just a great memory there of her telling us to take the keys and have fun.

Sigh. We lost my aunt a few months ago, which is still hard to take, and so like the rest of the family I am still grieving and we're all just trying to take care of my uncle and their immediate family. I surely didn't think about details like that car, as I figured that was so long ago that she had probably traded up once or twice by now, and they have kids and some young grandkids, so I'm sure someone would want it anyway if they did still have it. Well, during a talk between me, my dad and my uncle a month later, somehow the two brothers put that 2 and 2 together since he was going to trade it in, and he did not know I liked that car that much. It had almost already been dealt actually, but as it turns out, he would really enjoy knowing it was still in the family if I would like it, and offered it to me for a very, very reasonable price. I'm honored, to sum all this up in a word.

So, it's a bittersweet joy to get this car. I hate that it was available at all, but I also know my aunt would love for me to have it, and I will enjoy taking care of something that brought her joy too. It has a garage spot waiting for it and I'm reading manuals and watching videos since I like DIY stuff and knowing how things work. It's a 2008 XK convertible with very low miles (25k). We'll see when I get it if it needs anything at all, or if I just need to get into caretaker mode, but either way I'm excited and trying to focus on the happy part of this and not the sadness. I know I could have just told you, like my friends and family that I'm getting a Jaguar and it was fortuitous timing, but I want everyone to know why it means a lot to me already.

· Premium Member
18,883 Posts
Hi all. I'm new here. This is a tough one. I loved my aunt so much and she had this beautiful blue Jag that she let me drive once after she got it back in 2008. I didn't ever think about wanting that specific car, to be honest, but I have always loved roadsters and since I worked on my company's UK business back in the late 2000's, I tend to be partial to all things British. And that only made worse the fascination I always had as a kid for MGs, Triumphs, anything small and fun, quick, well engineered. A Morgan would be a dream for instance. Astons and the sporty Jaguars too, they are lovely, but those are way pricey, so maybe just a nice pipedream for Someday when I retire? I also like Porsches, but there's definitely a preference for British cars, so I drove a cooper S for 8 years and loved that for the driving experience. I had to move on from it unfortunately. My aunt's Jaguar though, yeah that was fun - still the nicest car I've ever driven. Just a great memory there of her telling us to take the keys and have fun.

Sigh. We lost my aunt a few months ago, which is still hard to take, and so like the rest of the family I am still grieving and we're all just trying to take care of my uncle and their immediate family. I surely didn't think about details like that car, as I figured that was so long ago that she had probably traded up once or twice by now, and they have kids and some young grandkids, so I'm sure someone would want it anyway if they did still have it. Well, during a talk between me, my dad and my uncle a month later, somehow the two brothers put that 2 and 2 together since he was going to trade it in, and he did not know I liked that car that much. It had almost already been dealt actually, but as it turns out, he would really enjoy knowing it was still in the family if I would like it, and offered it to me for a very, very reasonable price. I'm honored, to sum all this up in a word.

So, it's a bittersweet joy to get this car. I hate that it was available at all, but I also know my aunt would love for me to have it, and I will enjoy taking care of something that brought her joy too. It has a garage spot waiting for it and I'm reading manuals and watching videos since I like DIY stuff and knowing how things work. It's a 2008 XK convertible with very low miles (25k). We'll see when I get it if it needs anything at all, or if I just need to get into caretaker mode, but either way I'm excited and trying to focus on the happy part of this and not the sadness. I know I could have just told you, like my friends and family that I'm getting a Jaguar and it was fortuitous timing, but I want everyone to know why it means a lot to me already.
Hey Mike, welcome aboard.

What a great intro / story about you, your love of the brand and for your aunt who you sadly lost. It's very cool that you're going to get the car that you've loved and complete with so many memories, keeping all that alive for everyone in the family somehow.

Hope to hear more and look forward to some pics at some point.

Cheers
Jim

· Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike 😊 Sorry to hear about your aunt. Just my opinion but to me the x150 XK is best Jag you can have, I'm on my second XKR and I love them, the look, the drive and the sound.
Looking forward to seeing your xk 👍

· Registered
XJ X351 Portfolio
829 Posts
Hello Mike. Welcome to the forum and to Jaguar ownership albeit under such sad circumstances. The XK X-150 in my opinion is amongst the most beautiful cars Jaguar have ever made so enjoy the car and celebrate your aunt's immaculate taste at the same time!

· Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
3,750 Posts
Hello & welcome

· Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
4,754 Posts

Hello there Mike and welcome, great to have you join us.

Nice introduction there and thank you for sharing how you have come by your Jag and the history behind how special she is.

Sorry to hear of the recent passing of your aunt, but I feel sure she will be pleased to know her pride and joy is now your pride and joy and will have a big old smile on her face watching from above when you take your big cat out for a spin, breathing in that cool fresh air with the wind in your hair, living the Jaguar dream. :cool:

· Premium Member
18,883 Posts

· Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
4,754 Posts
Paperwork done. Took my first drive. I am very happy today. The cat looks beautiful.

Pics to come.
Good for you Mike (y):cool:

Reactions: JimC64
1 - 12 of 12 Posts