Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Returning after a month overseas 2005 Xtype diesel sport premium estate 2,2 starts and runs as normal. After 15 miles speedometer goes crazy showing 150 mph and then remaining stationary at the 6 o clock position. Removed battery leads for 30 min and reconnected, problem resolved but returned shortly afterwards.
Other strange behaviors include occasional engine cutout and cooling fan cutting in even when engine is cold.

No faults shown on obd reader. Suspecting dampness in ecu, have removed and cleaned/dried connections , but fault persists.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Jon

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I second that, These cars do not like dodgy batteries.

Roger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I second that, These cars do not like dodgy batteries.

Roger
Thanks for your response. It was the first thing I did when I returned from holiday, put the battery (which is about 1 year) old on charge for 8 hours before I even attempted to start the engine. Volts are 14.2 when running.
The area around the ecu was very damp this is why I suspect water ingress, no fault codes which leads me away from sensor problems.
Still open to any suggestions though

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
jonnyjagboy; The area around the ecu was very damp this is why I suspect water ingress said:
if you have dampness around the ECU then suspect a bad connection. Dry the connector in both the leads and the ECU. Try to source the reason for the dampness too.

Roger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you have dampness around the ECU then suspect a bad connection. Dry the connector in both the leads and the ECU. Try to source the reason for the dampness too.

Roger
Thanks, I took the main ecu connector and the harness connector off, there was a bit of condensation presen,t sprayed with wd 40 dried with a hairdryer and compressed air , could not see any corrosion. The moisture was due to an accumulation of leaves.
Just checked battery voltage (disconnected from car) 12.56 volts. Put it on charge again just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
When I first got mine it had water in the ecu plug and it caused loads of dramas. As for the battery I changed mine on Thursday the biggest thing I've noticed is smoother gear changes believe it or not! I was going to change the oil in the gearbox, but I don't think I need to now! It must have been down to the low battery voltage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I first got mine it had water in the ecu plug and it caused loads of dramas. As for the battery I changed mine on Thursday the biggest thing I've noticed is smoother gear changes believe it or not! I was going to change the oil in the gearbox, but I don't think I need to now! It must have been down to the low battery voltage.
Yes I have had issues with low voltage in the past, loss of functions like voice control, poor running etc. I am just hoping that the ecu will dry out and things will start working again.
What did you experience when you had a soggy ecu?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yes I have had issues with low voltage in the past, loss of functions like voice control, poor running etc. I am just hoping that the ecu will dry out and things will start working again.
What did you experience when you had a soggy ecu?
Started off with a mis-fire on rear bank (all 3) then gear box fault followed by can comms and went berserk at that point so switched off and tried to read codes, had a list longer than the Magna Carta!

Codes wouldn't clear, couldn't get it started, if it did it was running really rough and smoking.

Decided to pull ecu wiring found all the water. Dried out with penetrating oil, sealed it up re-fitted cleared codes it's been fine since until the battery packed up, I suspect the cat failure was because of the misfire caused by the water ingress into the ecu.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorted! Disconnected battery and left charger on high all night. Voltage 13.4 in morning with battery disconnected. I think that my charger wasn't coping with the drain on the battery from alarm etc while it was connected. More wd 40 and car is now behaving normally. Love a free repair!
Many thanks for your suggestions.
Jon

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Great, its's nice to hear of success:-D

Roger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.