Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I've just noticed - my tailgate looks to have dropped and is quite badly out of line..
This is causing the plastic cover around the cable from car to tailgate to scuff the car roof inside the door opening which is taking the paint off.

Anyone else had this problem and if so how was it remedied ? Assuming it can be adjusted ?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Weird that, just checked my sportbrake and it’s exactly the same as yours. Will nip into Jaguar in the next couple of weeks and ask them, I will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Something I've just noticed - my tailgate looks to have dropped and is quite badly out of line..
This is causing the plastic cover around the cable from car to tailgate to scuff the car roof inside the door opening which is taking the paint off.

Anyone else had this problem and if so how was it remedied ? Assuming it can be adjusted ?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Charlie16

Just had mine at main Jaguar dealer (where I purchased my vehicle). Apparently although this was not a recall Jaguar were aware of the problem and they fixed mine with no charge. Apparently it's an easy fix. Hope this helps you, let me know. Regards

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for this etal1947, fortunately they've done it on my warranty so all good now, it was a mile out of line. They are painting the scuff mark next week too, so happy with the service received from Stratstone Houghton-le-Spring/Peterlee
Charlie16

Just had mine at main Jaguar dealer (where I purchased my vehicle). Apparently although this was not a recall Jaguar were aware of the problem and they fixed mine with no charge. Apparently it's an easy fix. Hope this helps you, let me know. Regards

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'd like to know what the fix is because im thinking of changing to a sportbrake and would like to know what to look out for.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Had exactly the same issue with my sportbrake, immediately repaired whilst I waited by Guy Salmon, noticed it was not right as when it closed the lock parts hit each other then locked, ended up being one side of the hinge bolts came loose.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Just checked mine and guess what ! its out of alignment !! I will have a look see when it warms up a bit . Were the loose bolts on the tailgate side or the roof mount side of hinge ?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just checked mine and guess what ! its out of alignment !! I will have a look see when it warms up a bit . Were the loose bolts on the tailgate side or the roof mount side of hinge ?
not sure as all I was told was the hinge bolts were loose.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Eyeballroy - I was told it was the bolt at the top of the tailgate (where the wires are) if that helps. I had looked at these before mine went in and all seemed ok, but that's what they said.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine was on the right hand side roof mount, the plastic cable cover was scuffing the roof where the hinge goes in on closing. Now fixed, the scuff mark is to be repainted by the dealer. When I first noticed the misalignment I tried moving the tailgate to see if there was anything loose but there was no movement. The tailgate is a heavy lump and I think if any of the bolts are not tight enough it will drop through time.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I had a go at sorting mine this morning. Its still not quite right but much better and no touch/scraping in operation although it was only just touching on one side . I used a 5.5mm socket but really need a female torx socket to tighten the bolts that hold the hinges to the tailgate fully . Yes the tailgate is a heavy lump but managed to do it alone using pencil marks around hinges for reference . I will get a son to help with final adjustments when I have the needed torx socket. It looks like the top part with the tail light in it is a separate part held on with 5 x 13mm nuts and can be adjusted separately to align with the roof .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just noticed mine is scuffing on the RHS too :-? might pop into the dealer, only had it 3 months and it had a 2 year Jag warranty.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Adjusted and re tightened the mounting bolts and all has seemed ok since . Tailgate sits central doesn't rub and locks smoothly. It is a bit of a fiddle and needs fine adjustment . It took me a couple of goes working on my own but would be far easier with a helper . Sorry no pics but be aware NOT to move the tailgate too far forward as it can catch the roof when it closes and close it very slowly manually until you are happy with the fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Old thread but I tried to search for Sportbrake tailgate misalignment and this nearly gave all the answers.
I recent suffered the same problem with the tailgate being so bad it would no longer close. The tailgate had dropped on both sides with the panel gap on the passenger side becoming non existent.
So the hinge attachment to the tail gate is under plastic covers which simply remove by undoing 2 torx screws (one being under a round plastic plug. Its the same for both sides). Under these covers are 2 bolts ending in a torx but I found no need to grip this end (with torx socket if you must) as they are both tightened from the other side which ends in a 13mm bolt. (I tried to buy torx sockets but not so easy to find. Torx drivers everywhere. Anyway not needed).
These are accessed by removing the rear spoiler (held on by 2x m13 each side and 1x 13 in the middle). You need to unplug the rear LED and water washer However, these are are not the ones that generally become loose!!!! (As AlanGK found).
There is a 3rd bolt attaching the hinge bracket to the car and I think this is the main culprit. On mine it had become loose on the driver's side, the other side was tight. I got my son to push the tail gate beyond its highest sting point. You can see the bolt (3rd) going up whilst I tightened it. I could get it to lift up any other way. Mine was also feeling loose prior to tightening this bolt. It's located under the roof line and there is the wiring and it's protective hose in the way. I needed a long extension and 13mm socket to reach. I didn't fancy taking the bolt out completely to coat in Loctite as this would mean one side of the tailgate would be completely free to move (and inevitably would move 3 bolt positions on the passenger side.
I'm betting that this is bolt that the main dealers have been fixing for free as so easy.
I was not so lucky as tightening this 3rd bolt helped tremendously but the panel gaps and alignment was still out (but much less). The answer war to loosen the 2 bolts on each side. Again I got my son to push the tailgate just beyond its highest position and I lifted the drivers side a bit more to equal out the panel gaps. It took a few goes but I think it would be much harder if not impossible without a helper.
There is a good video on Youtube with a Range Rover and exactly the same problem (I found it when I searched for Sportbrake tailgate fault). Same problem but mainly adjusting the hinge brackets where they attach to the tailgate (the 2 bolts under the spoiler). The 3rd bolt attaching the bracket to car is our main problem. Before today I've been forcing the tailgate to close and yanking it to try and push it back in position. I guess I altered the position of the '2 bolts' and made the job a bit longer.
Incidentally my local main dealer had never heard of this tailgate problem (!!) and wanted £192.80 +vat just to diagnose what was wrong (even though I told him it was loose bolts causing the tailgate to drop, common Sportbrake prob, nearly recall etc.) This was not for the repair itself which would be on top!!!! Shame on them especially if just tightening the '3rd bolt'.
Yes that's you Farnells Jaguar Leeds. How can some Jaguar main dealers do this for free and you want to charge just to look but that's a ran for another topic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took mine to Cleveland Body & Paint a Fiat dealer in Stockton-on-Tees. They do all the Jaguar dealer body work. Had a look said yes see this problem regularly. Will take 2-4 hours at £59/hr. Fixed in 4 hrs not materials needed £200 incl VAT. I'm a happy boy.

Lots of other bodyshops were taking big in breaths and saying could be a new tailgate.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts