Jaguar Forum banner

Sportbrake Tailgate out of alignment

18K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Carpo 
Just checked mine and guess what ! its out of alignment !! I will have a look see when it warms up a bit . Were the loose bolts on the tailgate side or the roof mount side of hinge ?

I had a go at sorting mine this morning. Its still not quite right but much better and no touch/scraping in operation although it was only just touching on one side . I used a 5.5mm socket but really need a female torx socket to tighten the bolts that hold the hinges to the tailgate fully . Yes the tailgate is a heavy lump but managed to do it alone using pencil marks around hinges for reference . I will get a son to help with final adjustments when I have the needed torx socket. It looks like the top part with the tail light in it is a separate part held on with 5 x 13mm nuts and can be adjusted separately to align with the roof .

Adjusted and re tightened the mounting bolts and all has seemed ok since . Tailgate sits central doesn't rub and locks smoothly. It is a bit of a fiddle and needs fine adjustment . It took me a couple of goes working on my own but would be far easier with a helper . Sorry no pics but be aware NOT to move the tailgate too far forward as it can catch the roof when it closes and close it very slowly manually until you are happy with the fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.