Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear suspension (N/S) is making a rather unsavoury squeaking sound, very noticeable at slow maneuvering speeds but sounds bad enough to attract the attention of passers by and small animals.

Is this commonly caused by the control arm bushes?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Very! (depending on your skill and tool kit)

Jack up the rear and axle stand whichever side you need.
Remove the wheel.
To the just to the front/back/bottom of the hub is the bolt for arm to hub. This should undo easy once you're had a good spray of WD and a wire brushing to remove the rust off the end of the thread (saves trying to pull it all through)
The arm should swing down,

The inner bolt, do the same.
On the Diesel Estate of mine, the inner bolt will not pull clear as there is a tank gaurd in the way, if yours is the same, either carefully bend the bracket out a little so the bolt pulls out, then back again after OR cut a hole in the tank gaurd for the bolt to side out into, then fill it with mastic or cover it with that stick vinyl sheet cut to fit.

Bolt in the new inner end first, then you have to pull the hub about to get the outer end lined up.
Haven't the torque setting to hand, but a good firm tug on the ratchet to may sure they're tight once you have the wheels back on the ground.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Very! (depending on your skill and tool kit)

Jack up the rear and axle stand whichever side you need.
Remove the wheel.
To the just to the front/back/bottom of the hub is the bolt for arm to hub. This should undo easy once you're had a good spray of WD and a wire brushing to remove the rust off the end of the thread (saves trying to pull it all through)
The arm should swing down,

The inner bolt, do the same.
On the Diesel Estate of mine, the inner bolt will not pull clear as there is a tank gaurd in the way, if yours is the same, either carefully bend the bracket out a little so the bolt pulls out, then back again after OR cut a hole in the tank gaurd for the bolt to side out into, then fill it with mastic or cover it with that stick vinyl sheet cut to fit.

Bolt in the new inner end first, then you have to pull the hub about to get the outer end lined up.
Haven't the torque setting to hand, but a good firm tug on the ratchet to may sure they're tight once you have the wheels back on the ground.
Well with instruction like that I will fit myself 1/2 inch drive socket set from snap on never used bought from work still shiny =-) my jag is the saloon type

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
You might want to confirm it's these that are creaking before you fork out for them. (not just take my word for it)
If you get someone to bounce the back end up and down while you spray the two end bushes with WD40 of the likes, see if the pitch of the noise changes, or just try holding them and see if you can feel them vibrate with the noise.

Spraying them will also give them a good soaking before you actually try and unbolt them, if in fact they are knackered.

One of mine broke recently (long story) and it lead to it ruining a pair of rear tyres, wearing out the inner edges, down to the canvas!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great info Goudy.

One question - is it possible to replace just the bushes with the control arm, or are you better off replacing the whole shebang?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seems to have fixed the creaking rear end on my X Type. So far have greased up the bolts and noise has gone, will monitor for a while and replace the control arm if it comes back

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I had one joint go on me recently, the inner bush on one side broke up.
I ended up wrecking a pair of rear tyres, getting stuck the arse end of Belgium, trying to replace the tyres and driving back home with the back end steering the car!

Because one bush failed on the O/S, it let the wheel toe out, wearing the inner edge of the tyre out and as it pulled the back end across, it did the same with the N/S tyre!

Keep and eye on the rear tyres.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,
Had the same on mine, when removed the longer sleeve was very floppy resulting in rear tracking out and outer edge tyre wear. Replaced and no more noise, had rear tracking adjusted and tyre wear satisfactory. I recommend doing both sides if one has gone but be aware that I could not track done the bed spring creak using the WD 40 method, just took a gamble on Goudy. Brill!
Ampers.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Those rear control arms are a menace, throw the rear tracking out somewhat rotten when they go.
I drove back from Belgium is the pissing rain with the back of the car steering into the next lane! Brown trousers when I got home.
New arms both side, two new tyres and the rear toe tracked, I only went for some cheap **** and booze!!

I think a member on here has found replacement bushes in polyurethane, any more trouble with mine and I'll have a go at removing the old bushes and using the poly's.
Poliurethane Bushes | Facebook

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.