Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so when i reverse my missus car onto the drive ( 9 years of driving and she still cant do it herself) there is a loud squeak, like when a break is sticking and vibrating against the disc, but when i jack the back of her car up and have a play with it, there wheel moves freely.

doesn't do it going forward at any speed, and only does it when starting off in reverse.

there is also a clunking going over bumps, so it needs new lower control arm bushings, im like 95% sure that these two problems are related, but wanted to see if anyone on here has had any experience with this?

·
Registered
102 Posts
so when i reverse my missus car onto the drive ( 9 years of driving and she still cant do it herself) there is a loud squeak, like when a break is sticking and vibrating against the disc, but when i jack the back of her car up and have a play with it, there wheel moves freely.

doesn't do it going forward at any speed, and only does it when starting off in reverse.

there is also a clunking going over bumps, so it needs new lower control arm bushings, im like 95% sure that these two problems are related, but wanted to see if anyone on here has had any experience with this?
Yer, my 2.0d 2006, squeaks when reversing but normally only when braking - assuming its a build up of brake dust etc. which doesn't get burnt off as easily as when stopping when going forward? I did grease the guide pins and pads etc. and take off the build up of dust etc. on the rears which did stop it for a little while. Mine has new rear pads but discs still have meat.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yer, my 2.0d 2006, squeaks when reversing but normally only when braking - assuming its a build up of brake dust etc. which doesn't get burnt off as easily as when stopping when going forward? I did grease the guide pins and pads etc. and take off the build up of dust etc. on the rears which did stop it for a little while. Mine has new rear pads but discs still have meat.
Hmm well mine doesn't do it.. but then im a lot more conservative with the Brakes.

i will give it a clean and grease and have a look.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
It could be the brake pad clips that require a clean and Copper grease. Mine was doing it and it turned out to be the pads not releasing cleanly.

Roger

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know im bring back this thread from the graveyard. but i finally found the issue causing the squeaky breaks.

the reason i found out the cause was that the car started sounding like a fog horn, turns out the issue was down to stiff caliper on the rear passenger side. It appears it has been goosed since we bought the car,

the brakes on her car were always a lot keener on her x than mine, i just assumed my brake hoses had gone soft. but turns out that the caliper was barely retracting.

happened to be 50 miles from home when it happened, so i had to call out the AA, he freed up the caliper and everything is now good.

...except the heat has warped the disc, but thats okay, cause i'll put my disks on hers when i get my new slotted and grooved ones in the post.

note if you think the brake has seized and is rubbing on the disk, dont check by touching the disk with your finger....because my brain decided to not put two and two together and my finger made a sound like frying bacon.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
i know im bring back this thread from the graveyard. but i finally found the issue causing the squeaky breaks.

the reason i found out the cause was that the car started sounding like a fog horn, turns out the issue was down to stiff caliper on the rear passenger side. It appears it has been goosed since we bought the car,

the brakes on her car were always a lot keener on her x than mine, i just assumed my brake hoses had gone soft. but turns out that the caliper was barely retracting.

happened to be 50 miles from home when it happened, so i had to call out the AA, he freed up the caliper and everything is now good.

...except the heat has warped the disc, but thats okay, cause i'll put my disks on hers when i get my new slotted and grooved ones in the post.

note if you think the brake has seized and is rubbing on the disk, dont check by touching the disk with your finger....because my brain decided to not put two and two together and my finger made a sound like frying bacon.
Great news on the fix RM

My son Peter's old X type had the same problem towards the end.

I hear what you're saying about touching the disc lol, I almost, repeat "almost" did that a while ago, luckily my brain kicked in and saved my fingerprints lol

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great news on the fix RM

My son Peter's old X type had the same problem towards the end.

I hear what you're saying about touching the disc lol, I almost, repeat "almost" did that a while ago, luckily my brain kicked in and saved my fingerprints lol

Cheers
Jim
my brain unfortunately was listening to the missus moaning about how inconvenient it is i made her stop because its cold, and she was hungry, and we were going to be late.....

which somehow was all my fault......

explaining to her, that it was most likely on its way out because she charges up to red lights then slams on the brakes all the time instead of decelerating from a distance and gradually bring the car to a gentle stop, only made the complaining intensify, with echo's of, i've been driving for 8 years more than you, i know what im doing... =D

the hypocrisy of her statement was later revealed , when we got home and she said "can you reverse the car onto the drive, i cant do it"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.