Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's driving me nuts, every time i turn the steering wheel there's a squeeking from inside the column shroud inside the car, any ideas what it could be? I know im being lazy and not investigating myself :p

Thanks Tony

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
This is probably the well known phenomenon that affects many cars, it seems like it is around the steering wheel (it may still be that !) but is usually caused by the steering rack.

Do a web search and you will come up with the answer, some steering fluid additive, cost about £12.

Follow the rather strange instructions to the letter and the squeak/drone should be fixed. Apparently a seal in the rack dries out and the additive sorts it out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Squeek

I had this issue, bought the additive, followed the instructions to the letter (even bought a temp gauge) and 4 years later no squeak!
WOW - does it take 4 years for the additive to take effect and fix the squeek :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Just in case Tony, could be worth having a spray around the column behind the cowl with a silicon spray first in case it's just rubbing?

The power steering squeAl is usually a growl and some trace of vibration.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've no trace of vibration at all and theres definitely no growl sound, i shall do the additive treatment and have a spray around the column too just for good measure.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I did mine a few months ago (it had already been done) and it cured the very occasional squeak. I also changed out the fluid as it was black and I think this was causing the valve on the rack to stick making the steering go hard. I did it the easy way, syphoning out from the reservoir then refilling with new doing a few lock-to-lock operations then repeated until a litre had been used. Additive put in last and the steering is good as gold now.
I disagree Jim it's like a wet finger along dry unwaxed paintwork!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.