Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hi.

Not a full system but I had rear sport boxes on my XJR fitted by MIJ in Walsall. They are not far from you.
It was a few years ago so prices may have changed.
You can usually find them on ebay as they have offers from time to time.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Had mine done a year ago, all new 2.5 Stainless from manifold back. Cost £1400 for everything, including new cats.

As yours is a V6, not sure how it would sound compared to the V8, hopefully good.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting thread for me, as a car I'm looking at buying has had a non std exhaust in the last 12 months and having done some homework it's also an MIJ system.Unfortunately they changed their Sage system over the same period so can't trace the job just via a reg number.... so I don't know what version of theirs it is.
Had a Paramount map as well apparently.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Er, its already stainless, surely ? Not a particularly high quality stainless, but stainless all the same. My last car was 13 years old when I part-exed it and on the original exhaust. I cannot see a mild-steel system lasting that long. My current X358 is 10 years old and the exhaust is in ace condition.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Er, its already stainless, surely ? Not a particularly high quality stainless, but stainless all the same. My last car was 13 years old when I part-exed it and on the original exhaust. I cannot see a mild-steel system lasting that long. My current X358 is 10 years old and the exhaust is in ace condition.
no it is mild steel mate and looks like the original one, so 15 years old,stainless should last a lot longer

·
Super Moderator
6,468 Posts
I would be very surprised if many manufacturers are using mild steel exhausts anymore. Even my S-type from 2000 has a stainless system from the factory as does our new Hyundai. What has happened over the years is that the steel has been thinned to save weight and they don't last quite as long anymore. Original S-Type back boxes used to be 7 kgs. Later ones were down below 5 kgs.

Even stainless will eventually corrode under the conditions that an exhaust system is exposed. 15 years is a good life for a basic stainless system. Typically, a mild steel back box will last between 3 and 6 years. However, some apparently basic systems last longer - the original exhaust on our friend's Corolla lasted around 19 "unloved" years.

Some system use a hybrid construction with stainless steel where it corrodes the most and mild steel where it is predominantly dry. British Steel and Ford were working on this in the 80s.

·
Super Moderator
6,468 Posts
Stainless steel is a self-protecting iron-based alloy. Very basically, the natural oxidation of the iron is resisted by a clear, strongly adherent chromium oxide layer which forms in preference to iron oxide. Hence, the iron is protected from getting into contact with the oxygen in the air. However, for example some acids, can attack the oxide layer. When this layer gets damaged the iron can oxidize. Exhaust gases are pretty corrosive, damp and temperatures are high, all adding up to a tough chemically corrosive environment. Affordable stainless steels hold up quite well but they are still viewed as a wear item with a limited life.

Here is an original S-Type exhaust, which looks like it has seen some use. It is stainless and much of it is still fairly clean but you can see that it is "rusting":

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Jagu...834096?hash=item25cf303970:g:6FAAAOSwCU1YnJsC

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That's the point I was trying to make. A mild steel exhaust would not last out the guarantee period so manufacturers now make them of low-grade stainless steel that over time can rust the same as mild steel, but far more slowly.

·
Registered
472 Posts
MIJ seem to be a bit marmite from what I've seen. I wouldn't use em myself mainly because the bends on the exhausts I've seen narrow and constrict the pipe. I had an exhaust by JP in Macclesfield on my Mondeo and that was really good quality with just the right amount of noise. When I need one I will go to them.

My cats look like they have been at the bottom of the ocean for 50 years! A just discovered oil leak is doing its best to preserve the rest of the exhaust though.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had mine done a year ago, all new 2.5 Stainless from manifold back. Cost £1400 for everything, including new cats.

As yours is a V6, not sure how it would sound compared to the V8, hopefully good.
Hi Alec, where did you get your exhaust from? I have a Super V8, already upgraded the cats to 200 cell. I imported a set of new Mina Gallery back boxes from the US and had them fitted for 12 months before removing due to excessive drone at 2k rpm. Does your exhaust have any drone? I've now had several bad experiences with custom exhausts and drone.

Another option I am considering which would apply to a V6 as well is modifying the existing back boxes to include electronic cut outs to bypass the silencer. This is something I might try in a few months time.

·
Registered
576 Posts
oh in that case it might be stainless,i just presumed it was mild steel as it is rusting,i didnt know stainless could rust
The old engineering joke says most stainless grades can rust eventually, but mostly it just 'stains less'. .......I'll get me coat!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.