Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reluctant to turn over in morning, have to use starter pack. Ok rest of day, battery test on meter reads 12v and 14v when running. Original battery with 110 miles on clock. Alternator belt failed 5 months ago drove 7 miles at night to get home, slow to start shortly after that. Starter replaced 2 months ago. Reluctant to spend £100+ on new battery if it may be something else. Suggestions please

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Reluctant to turn over in morning, have to use starter pack. Ok rest of day, battery test on meter reads 12v and 14v when running. Original battery with 110 miles on clock. Alternator belt failed 5 months ago drove 7 miles at night to get home, slow to start shortly after that. Starter replaced 2 months ago. Reluctant to spend £100+ on new battery if it may be something else. Suggestions please
my battery reads 12.7v and 14.4v when running, i dont have any problems starting etc, but i know that the battery is getting on, and if it reads less than 12.4v then its probably time to change the battery,

so if you're getting 12.0v then your battery does need replacing, if you getting between 12.5-13.8 then your battery is healthy.

mine drops to 11.9 when cranking, which is borderline.

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
If your battery is 2004 original then I would change it anyway. These cars do not like any shortfall in voltage.
They are not that expensive I paid £79 for mine a couple of years ago from Battery Megastore.

Roger

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I bought a Varta F18 with 5year warranty for £79 but I see it's £93 today:cry:. It was the same as the original.

Roger

· Registered
7,903 Posts
I used the Tayna site to get the size and it said 096 for the 20d saloon and the 110 for the estate
but posted a link from JCB as there cheaper

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Yes sorry Payno, I used the same site and misread it. The Tanya looks a better battery though.

Roger

· Registered
5,836 Posts
096 on my 2.0l D from Tanya - works great and a great company to deal with too.

· Registered
7,903 Posts

· Registered
805 Posts
Hi, replace the battery as the others have said. When my auxillary belt let go I was able to drive home from London (about 20 miles) and use it during the week before I was able to put a new belt on, and it still started and drove ok.

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
I had a battery problem soon after buying my X Type. Thought I had been sold a car with an old battery and with winter approaching splashed out on a new Bosch. Two day later, in the morning, car would not start. More cash spend at auto electricians who could find no fault or problem after having the car for a week while I was away on holiday. The engineer said that he had one other Jag with a similar problem and as with that one, he could only assume that, as I had recently bought the car, I had used a switch that got little use, possibly on the powered seats, that for a while had stuck on draining the battery until I had used the switch again. Couple of months down the line and the problem has not returned. If you are suffering from an intermittent battery drain, its worth thinking about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.