Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of weeks ago I took my X-Type 2.0D (2003) to kwikfit for a new front tyre and tracking adjusted

Drives OK but noticed today whilst driving on a straight level road the steering wheel isn’t centered

ie .. The Horizontal spoke is no longer completely horizontal but with a @10% angle to the right

Is this a known issue with aging cars?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Nope, it just means they've ballsed up the tracking. Take it to somewhere that isn't kwik fit or Halfords and have a 4 wheel alignment done.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Or take it back and tell them its not right and you would like it to be how it should be. That is the tracking set up properly with the steering wheel spokes sitting perfectly horizontal. Come to think about it I am sure that they used to ask you to come back in after x amount of miles and they would check it again to make sure that everything was ok. (Quickfit that is.)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Looks like they lived up to their name!

They took the "Quick" route and only adjusted one track rod end instead of adjusting both and keeping steering wheel horizontal.

Take it back and point out the error and demand they put it right

Martyn

·
Registered
106 Posts
No mate Kwikfit are rubbish. You need to find a garage with a Hunters wheel aliment system.They will lock your steering wheel off in the center position.Then adjust the toe/camber etc to straighten everything out to the manufacturers specification. It will cost around the 70 quid mark which is less than the price of a good tyer. So its well worth it IMO. I had my old car done twice a year.
I will be doing the same with my Jag when I pick it up on Wednesday.
The alignment check will be free then a charge is added for each adjustment. so once its done the other six monthly check is either free or much cheaper as the tracking etc will still be true.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Only had one experience with Kwik Fit, and I gotta say it was all positive.
But really it's not the company, it's the know-how of the guys working there.
When you're desperate you'll take any help you can get, I was lucky I got a good one;

This was on the way to Dover, 2.30 on a Friday afternoon just after I picked up the car, 1000km trip in front of me and it needed a wheel alignment. The bloke did a good job. I could not have made the trip without him. Feel bad that i can't remember his name now...

Back to the OP's problem. Yep they've stuffed it, take it back and tell em to do it right or you want a full refund.

G

·
A good place I have used in Surrey was Roadwheel tyre and exhaust ltd in Fleet, 01252 617788 ask for Gary

·
Registered
377 Posts
You need to find a garage with a Hunters wheel aliment system.They will lock your steering wheel off in the center position.Then adjust the toe/camber etc to straighten everything out to the manufacturers specification.
A good place I have used many times over the years is Felham Tyres just by Hatton Cross at Heathrow.
They had a dedicated alignment bay using Hunter equipment.
I was impressed with their work on my Mondeo. They adjusted both the front and rear.
I will be booking my X in soon for a check as I am getting new tyres.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all replies

Beamender, I also live in Surbiton and it was the KwikFit in Brighton Road that screwed up

Took advise from posts on this thread and returned car last Thursday, argued for an hour to get someone to take a look and eventually the 'technician' agreed the previous manager (who has now been replaced and moved to Richmond branch) had messed up

They put the Jag on the rack and made adjustment and said if the steering wheel is still out of alignment to return and they would 'tweak',

I retuned the car a further 3 times, this morning (Monday 25/6) included, just returned home after finding the steering wheel is even worse, so I've told the new manager not to waste any more of my time and I'll take my x-type elsewhere to get it professional sorted

So I will visit FELTHAM TYRES tomorrow to see if they can fix KwikFits problem as I'm still not confident the tracking is correct after them not even sorting a basic issue.. The Steering wheel being straight and see if this hunter things works out

Thanks again

·
Registered
377 Posts
So I will visit FELTHAM TYRES tomorrow to see if they can fix KwikFits problem as I'm still not confident the tracking is correct after them not even sorting a basic issue.. The Steering wheel being straight and see if this hunter things works out
I am sure you know where the place is - on the A312 not far past the Hatton Cross Tescos. Round the bend and on the right by some traffic lights.
I still trek over there ( and also on to Berkeley MoTs only) cos I trust them.

Give them a call first as I think you can book a slot in the tracking bay.

I have used them for probably 20/30 years or so and always found them very good.
They have replaced their equipment at regular intervals and in the past the guys have told me how much each training course costs so a comitment to doing a good job.

IIRC the very first job they do is to centre the steering wheel and fix it in that position with a brace between the wheel and the drivers seat then do their bit.
They have cursed when undoing BOTH sides of the adjusters rather than do a lop sided job.

I hope all goes well and they sort things out. I will be taking my newly aquired X Type to them for a check prior to getting new tyres

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BEAMender thanks a lot. Went to FTC this afternoon and got the front/rear realigned and steering wheel centered

Very professional, you could eat your supper off the ramps, reception area free coffee and TV

I mentioned this BB to them and they were real chuffed, GL

I will celebrate with a pint in 'The Victoria' tonight

;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
honlordlucan
Glad you had a good visit.
I am pleased that my suggestion worked and that they are still doing a good job.
Thanks for reporting back. Others in our area now know of a good place to go with an up to date report.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.