Stereo problem in 2005 X-Type Sovereign

AndC

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help please with a problem I'm having with my stereo? Sorry if this has come up before, I'm new here...

I've got a 2005 3.0 Sovereign with a CD changer/Tape/Radio/Phone/Sat Nav system. In the boot there's the CD changer, sat nav, voice unit and amplifier. I've had it for 5 years and every so often on starting up, the radio would come on with stations showing on the touch screen but no sound and no phone or CD either. Turning the ignition on and off would always solve the problem until now. Now the radio switches on and off with no sound, nothing happens when I press the CD button, the tape seems to work but no sound, the phone doesn't work but the Sat Nav and climate control both do.

So far I've checked all the fibreoptic connections (boot and next to the glove box fuses), checked the fuses, disconnected the car battery for 1 hour and bought a second hand dashboard unit from ebay and fitted it with the same result each time.

I'm wondering if there's a problem with the fibreoptic cable but I've been told that replacing this is a big job. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

motco

Reaction score
My 2007 Sovereign Estate does this occasionally but, as you reported, a re-start usually rectifies it. The six CD changer carrier sticks in situ unless I make it an offer it cannot refuse with the heel of a shoe as well!

Euan Tausney

Reaction score
Maybe try a hard reset if the problem persists. Disconnect both battery leads & touch together for a few minutes, but make sure you have your radio code, and you will have to reset one touch window closing/opening. This works for a lot of problems, so always worth a try.

Zero123

Reaction score
The lack of sound from the radio/satnav is a known problem which you rightly say it comes back on by turning the ignition off and then back on again - not something you can do driving down the main road. I've had that and indeed sometimes you can't open the boot without turning the ignition on/off.

cam

Reaction score
I had this problem years ago with my 2005 SE Estate, there were a few threads on here about the problem, mine was the phone itself having more than 100 contacts in it which the Jag didn't like and turned the sound off on the radio and phone, I removed a few contacts to take them below 100 and radio was fine, when I moved to an iphone the problem disappeared.

AndC

Reaction score
Many thanks for the suggestions. No joy with the hard reset sadly. Will wait for the local car audio shop to reopen!!

JohnW

Reaction score
My Sov premium system recently died: no sound, though all the systems seemed to be functional, except the CDC. Did all the checks and tests available on the forum. Checked fuses, connections, took head unit out etc. My gut feeling was the amp unit: took a punt on a S/H unit from Autoreserve Jaguar: all working again. Excellent service too. I'm not sure what auto sparks charge, but at around 70 quid for the amp I thought it worth the gamble.