Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 XK

Some of the buttons inside my car are soft and kinda sticky, for example the up down buttons for the thermostat plus other buttons as well. I assume they are soft rubber and they get dirt and lint on them and I would like to clean them but don't know what to use. Has anyone noticed this and tried to clean them? Possibly de-natured alcohol and a Q tip? What do you think. THANKS!

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Sounds like something maybe spilled on them at some point? The same buttons on my 2008 car are fairly hard plastic but the later XKs like yours had different buttons; if they are made of rubber then could they have melted slightly in the heat at some point and become misshapen?

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
These soft-touch coatings can age and go sticky. Just ask any FIAT Coupe owner!!! However, only 5 years is not good.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Go read some Ferrari threads on this for F360s and F430s even 458s, there is a way to clean them with something you US chaps call goo-gone then wipe with diluted iso-propyl alcohol, we have here sticky label remover, but remove the switches before cleaning to avoid staining the leather if present and be wary as any white lettering can disappear. A company in the US http://www.stickyrxrs.com who can fully refurbish. Perceived wisdom is that silicon based cleaners degrade the coating and it gets rather horribly nasty. Its a common problem for lots of marques. Had it on my F360 and many a long weekend was spent cleaning the muck off.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If it's dirt then a dab of Cif on a damp cloth or toothbrush will shift it.

If that doesn't work try either meths or white spirit. If one doesn't work the other should. Meths evaporates completely but white spirit will leave a smell and residue so wipe with a damp soapy cloth afterwards.

I would avoid cellulose thinners because it will probably attack the plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.