Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need a new front tyre on my car which currently has Dunlop SportMaxx 245 45 18 96Y on the front. I got a price for another Sportmaxx tyre which but was told it was a 245 45 18 100Y, however having looked about I think my car should have 245 40 18 on the front.

One front tyre is very good, the other one has worn out, I dont really want to chuck the good tyre, but if they are incorrect for the car then I will.

What is everyones opinions?

Many thanks,
Stuart

·
Registered
295 Posts
The last digit is the depth of the tire if that makes sense!
The previous owner may have put a deeper tire on to make the ride a little bit more comfortable!
The decision is yours as to whether you change it but obviously both sides need to be the same! If it were me, i would stick with the bigger size and have the more comfortable ride!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be more concerned about why you've got uneven wear on front tyres!
I dont have uneven tyre wear, I have a nearly new tyre and an old worn out tyre!

I understand what the numbers mean on tyres, 45 profile tyres are cheaper and there seems more choice, so I think I will stick with the 45 profile tyres! I was more concerned about deviating from Jaguar's spec regarding the tyre size especially given the cars performance and just wanted reassurance that everything is ok.

Thanks peeps

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Y is the speed rating (186mph)

The 96 or 100 is the load rating

96 = 710kg per tyre
100 = 800kg per tyre

I would stick with the standard profile, do not mix tyre brand, size or spec on the same axle.

And in future change your tyres in pairs, if not full sets.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi Jadlad;

Here information i have, my 56 plate STR has the standard 245/40 18 in wheels and the ride is very comfortable.

2002-2007 S-Type R wheels:
Front: 245/40 - 18 X 8
Tire OD: 653mm/25.7”
Rear: 275/35 18 X 9.5
Tire OD: 649mm/25.6”
Front ET/Offset: 60?
Rear ET/Offset: 49

2008 S-Type R Wheels
Front: 245/35 -19 X 8
Tire OD: 655mm/25.8”
Rear: 275/30 -19 X 9.5
Tire OD: 649mm/25.6”
Front ET/Offset: 60?
Rear ET/Offset: 49

Cheers Gos

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Y is the speed rating (186mph)

The 96 or 100 is the load rating

96 = 710kg per tyre
100 = 800kg per tyre

I would stick with the standard profile, do not mix tyre brand, size or spec on the same axle.

And in future change your tyres in pairs, if not full sets.
I have only owned the car a couple of months, I would never have different tyres on the same axel, the front passenger tyre is nearly new hence not really wanting to get rid of it, but I will change them both reverting back to the jaguars spec if its deemed necessary, hence coming on here and asking the question. I am not a cheap fly by night STR owner, I got the car reasonably cheap as I knew I had to spend some money sorting it out which is what I am doing, just don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Thanks to all that have replied.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have only owned the car a couple of months, I would never have different tyres on the same axel, the front passenger tyre is nearly new hence not really wanting to get rid of it, but I will change them both reverting back to the jaguars spec if its deemed necessary, hence coming on here and asking the question. I am not a cheap fly by night STR owner, I got the car reasonably cheap as I knew I had to spend some money sorting it out which is what I am doing, just don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Thanks to all that have replied.
As above should be 245 40 18

I have front 235 40 18 (Winter) Which is acceptable according to the book/certificate of conformity/jag specs

And front 245 35 19 (Summer) - Non Standard Alloys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.