Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I wonder if anyone can help on this..

I recently bought a new key bottom (brand new off eBay with correct frequency) and followed the procedure as per 'key fob programming.doc' And can't get it to recognise it.

Do I have to follow that procedure for a brand new bottom? Can I still use the top of my old key / blade with the new bottom??

Any help is hugely appreciated :)

Scott

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
By "bottom" I take it you mean fob?
A new fob can be used with your old blade as you can program up to 5 of these without having to have 5 blades
If so are you leaving the drivers door open from before inserting the key and during the coding process and only closing it at the end after removing the key?
Do you get the chirp after you have flashed the headlights 5 times together with the red PATS light flashing once?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Hi. Your old key has a transponder in it that the car reconises so the actual key is ok to use. The key fob or "bottom part" as you call it is for arming and disarming the locking and alarm modules. I too bought a new fob on ebay and it took a few attempts to get the car into setting mode but once there it was a doddle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I meant a new fob (bottom) as appose to the blade.

Ok, so when I tried it with the original key (already coded) door open, flash 5 times (no chirp after flashing but chirps when I press a button on the fob)

Do I need to put the old blade on the new fob and do it that way or do I leave the key as it is, do the sequence then press the new fob after programming the old?

Thanks for the speedy response guys...

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Hi. The key and fob are completely independant of each other. You dont need to have a key attached to a fob for it to work. I too had trouble entering the setting mode on the car and had to try it several times before it actually worked.

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
You need to hear the chirp after flashing 5 times (not including the initial release time) otherwise the car hasnt entered the programming mode.Door must be open
If I remember you need to be quick so try being quicker when releasing the stalk after turning the key to pos 1 (aux) and subsequent flashing to get into programming mode?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Kind of on topic, anyone know where I can mail-order replacement keys?

My XJR only came with one key, i'd like to get a 2nd one, as well as the valet key.

I realise that anyone can cut the key from a blank, but the transponder inside the blade needs programming too and that's the tricky part...

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I too only had one key when I bought my car. I bought a blank on ebay and then took it to my local Indy who did the transponder side of things for £25. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was turning the key to position ii as appose to position i in the ignition. What a wally!

All sorted now.

Although, my alarm keeps randomly going off on its own.. Anyone else find this?

Thanks again guys!!

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.