Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because one of my front wheels has a slight buckle that I can feel through the steering wheel at speed I decided to swap fronts to rear on both sides.

Only having one jack I decided to use an axle stand to hold up the front whilst jacking up the rear so where did I put the axle stand???

Yep, on the steering rod which is now bent like a banana, worse in fact, and to get the car to stay in a straightish line the steering wheel has to be held nearly ninety degrees from centre.

How could I have made such a stupid basic error? I'm claiming old age.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Whoops, nasty mistake there.

Roger

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Because one of my front wheels has a slight buckle that I can feel through the steering wheel at speed I decided to swap fronts to rear on both sides.

Only having one jack I decided to use an axle stand to hold up the front whilst jacking up the rear so where did I put the axle stand???

Yep, on the steering rod which is now bent like a banana, worse in fact, and to get the car to stay in a straightish line the steering wheel has to be held nearly ninety degrees from centre.

At least you don't have to worry about the buckle anymore as you won't be driving at speed :wink:.

A costly mistake which any of us could have made, I wouldn't have a clue where to put axle stands :sad:

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts

Wow sorry to hear John.....

Go easy on yourself mate.......
Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Sorry to hear that I think many of us have done something daft in our time. Some years back my car had a leak from the water pump - I ignored it and just kept topping it up with water one cold morning it froze and I ended up replacing the water pumpe and the radiator!

On an XF I put the axle stand on the jacking point where the handbook suggests you put the standard jack.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
Expensive one too. Looking at around £300.
Hmm ... it is a fair assumption that you won't put the axle stand in the wrong place next time ... so, a quick search shows:

- Track rod costs about 30€ here. I expect that it will be very similar in the UK.
- If there is no room for normal tools to get the inner end of the track rod off, you will need a special tool, again about 30€.
- You will also need some clips for the rubber bellows if the originals are not reusable.

The rest is just a bit of time to dismantle and replace, say 2-3 hours if it does not go smoothly - one hour if it does.

Then get the tracking reset.

Back to your original problem. An "out of balance" wheel on the back axle usually causes the whole car to vibrate and you feel it through the seat and not the steering. There is little alternative to sorting the cause.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Ouch - but there we all go. I've left the locking wheel bolt on the wheel and driven off ...TWICE!!
We all do daft things so don't beat yourself up too much!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear that I think many of us have done something daft in our time. Some years back my car had a leak from the water pump - I ignored it and just kept topping it up with water one cold morning it froze and I ended up replacing the water pumpe and the radiator!

On an XF I put the axle stand on the jacking point where the handbook suggests you put the standard jack.
The problem was that I was using that point to place my hydraulic jack so couldn't use it for the axle stand.

Anyway the cost wasn't as bad as they first quoted and they did the whole job including new track rod end and tracking for £140 so not complaining too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
"Sorry to hear that I think many of us have done something daft in our time. Some years back my car had a leak from the water pump - I ignored it and just kept topping it up with water one cold morning it froze and I ended up replacing the water pumpe and the radiator!

On an XF I put the axle stand on the jacking point where the handbook suggests you put the standard jack."

How do you jack the car up, to then put the axle stand under the jacking point?

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
On my X Type I can jack up the front with my 3 ton trolley jack and it will lift the rear as well so I can change both wheels round.:-?

Roger

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
How do you jack the car up, to then put the axle stand under the jacking point?
The service manual usually has a diagram indicating the jacking points and alternatives for the axle stands. Sometimes there is enough room to have both side by side. If you do a search for your car type and jacking points, you often find a link to the manufacturer's diagram as the question is often asked :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
The service manual usually has a diagram indicating the jacking points and alternatives for the axle stands. Sometimes there is enough room to have both side by side. If you do a search for your car type and jacking points, you often find a link to the manufacturer's diagram as the question is often asked :)
Yes, I know that. But the post I quoted implies that the car was jacked up at other than the jacking point and the axle stand was placed under that jacking point. I can't see why one would do that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
On my X Type I can jack up the front with my 3 ton trolley jack and it will lift the rear as well so I can change both wheels round.:-?

Roger
So, is the car just supported at 3 points-the wheels on the other side +the trolley jack at 1 of the jacking points? Not sure I like that idea. I prefer to use a second jack to raise both wheels on 1 side.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
So, is the car just supported at 3 points-the wheels on the other side +the trolley jack at 1 of the jacking points? Not sure I like that idea. I prefer to use a second jack to raise both wheels on 1 side.
In a nutshell, yes but only for changing the wheels round. I have a power wrench for the wheel nuts which negates loosening them before lifting the car. Putting them back I use the wrench to nip up and then lower the car and complete with a torque wrench.The 3 Ton jack is good, I would not use a smaller one. If I am working on the car I will jack up at each corner and use axle stands when required.

Roger

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I jacked up either the front end or the rear end or one side at a time on my XFS and XFR so many times I lost count.
Yes, the axle stand points and the jacking points are different.
The jacking points are designed for the supplied scissor jack, and they are "pinch welds" near the edge of the bodywork designed so that the slot on the head of the scissor jack goes over and around the pinch weld. But as many have found this doesn't work all that well with the flat face of a hydraulic trolley jack, and sooner or later the pinch weld will bend or buckle. The solution is to use a rubber "puck" on the head of the jack, with a slot in it that fits over and around the pinch weld. Plenty available on t'internet. Also, the OEM scissor jack is only meant to be used for emergency situations such as changing a flat tyre on the side of the road, and you really shouldn't use it in your garage.
The axle stand points are inboard of the jacking points, and yes you can raise the car at the jacking point then slip an axle stand underneath to the axle stand point, I did it countless times. The front axle stand points are well inboard and well away from the jacking points, but the rear axle stand points are quite close and it takes a bit of wiggling and jiggling to get the stand in the right spot with a hydraulic jack already under the jacking point.
Here's the axle stand graphic:
Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
3,657 Posts
The problem was that I was using that point to place my hydraulic jack so couldn't use it for the axle stand.

Anyway the cost wasn't as bad as they first quoted and they did the whole job including new track rod end and tracking for £140 so not complaining too much.
Look on it as an expensive Tracking cost 😉

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.