Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has been behaving itself lately and I have been getting used to the reprogrammed gearbox which has taken a while. In taking it out this evening, the steering is now very heavy if though the power steering isn't working properly. Although it was dark, I checked under the bonnet and the steering fluid level hasn't lowered at all. There's no screaming belt slipping noises and no noises in turning left or right when stationary or on the move. I've had nothing to indicate anything is wrong its just come on suddenly.

Any thoughts??

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tyre pressures are fine, checked those this morning. A friend of mine who also has an S type came over and he agrees that it is not right. The best description I can give is that feels like I have a flat tyre but that is certainly not the case.

· Registered
1,975 Posts
lower steering column UJ may be siezed,

TT

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm awaiting a final update from the mechanic (friend of a friend) who has the car at the moment at his garage. He has indicated (and has a fault code) that it could be the power steering pressure actuator although he isn't ruling out the steering rack (but thinks its unlikely) and is in contact with Jaguar.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been told that it may be a problem with the ECU as seems that its not sending a signal to the power steering actuator. This now sounds like its going to be an expensive job - I'm completely lost why this has happened!

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Has there been any issues with ABS/DSC/Cruise/Speedometer?

TT

· Registered
208 Posts
rvin28, I had this happen to my 2.7D a few years ago. Took it away from the garage after some work and the steering felt just as you described.

Got in touch next day and he knew exactly what it was. It is something to do with an electronic gizmo on the power steering set up somewhere that controls the sensitivity of the power steering 'feel' as speed changes. When it fails it leaves the steering feeling heavy as you describe as it is not applying the right amount of power to speed.

Quick job to replace it (sorry I can't remember exactly what it was called) and not that expensive as I remember.

So, try that....should hopefully sort you out before you incur too much expense searching for the problem elsewhere.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Power steering actuator. Correct, its apparent not working because its not being powered by the ECM (thats what the garage is saying at the moment). They still awaiting info from Jaguar to confirm their diagnosis though.

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Well, in my case he changed the actuator and job done! Not sure why your man's not doing the same.
Because you don't replace something that's not getting a signal, you work out why it's not getting a signal first.

TT

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fault has been found - its the front electronic module. Its not supplying a signal to the power steering actuator so the steering is heavy as a consequence. I will update when a replacement module has been fitted.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick update - the car has been fitted with a new front ECM and it has cured the problem. Its been fitted with a used module (with a short warrantee included) which cost £100 plus fitting. The price on a new module was in excess of £400 plus VAT and programming.

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
Always good to hear of a successful outcome and thanks for the update.:-D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.