Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My temp stays very low. I drive for 20 min then it is starting to go up. The car runs fine, no heat from central heating do. So could this be the temp sensor? This summer the gauge never has come higher that the half of the meter.

· Registered
357 Posts
Broken or missing thermostat.

I had a very odd temperature gauge problem and it turned out to be a broken stat. Since replacing it, my gauge rises faster and the heater works much better.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
My temp stays very low. I drive for 20 min then it is starting to go up. The car runs fine, no heat from central heating do. So could this be the temp sensor? This summer the gauge never has come higher that the half of the meter.
the temprature never goes above half way unless there is a problem,

and it does take a while for the engine to heat up, cause its getting cold,

i have a 45 minute journey to work, and the gauge only just hits half way at about the 40 minute mark. which isn't surprising because the engine is only doing 900-1100 rpm most of the time

you generally only have a thermostat problem if the needle never goes above 1/4.

i have just done both thermostats on my missus, which never got above 1/4, now it will get to half way, after about 30-40 minute of driving

although i am assuming you have a diesel and not a petrol, i dont know about the petrol.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
My thread is pointing towards replacing the thermostat for the oil cooler, not the normal one. Seems like a regular issue.
if it gets to half way it wont be the oil thermostat. if thats open it only ever gets a 1/4 of the way up, but i havent read your thread, so it might be the oil thermo for you,
very easy to change, you get a bit of fluid loss, but apparent from that its mint.

also the transit MKVII oil cooler is exactly the same as the jaguar one, but cheaper £13.50 for a genuine ford one, where as its about £22 for the jaguar one.

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
If you could update your signature via the link below and tick the Show Signature box we would know if you have a petrol or diesel.
The diesel uses an auxiliary heating system which speeds up the time it takes to obtain warm air. Could be a problem with that.

Roger

· Registered
6,636 Posts
Before I had the oil thermostat changed my temp would generally be 1/4 and maybe get half way then back to 1/4.

The issue I had was that the garage didn't call it an oil thermostat. They called it something like the auxiliary, or secondary, or inner, or something.

Didn't cost much either way.

· Registered
4,382 Posts
The OP says that the temp gauge reaches half way so I'm not sure it's a thermostat problem.

In fact, it's not all that clear to me exactly what the issue is...

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
No heat from the heater could be a blend door failure or an air lock in the system.

Roger

· Registered
22 Posts
Im scratching my head. I have replaced little thermostat, big thermostat and housing, had voltage tested and all i want to do now is set fire to it in a field and run away.

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
A thing not many people know is that the engine oil runs at more or less the same temp as the engine coolant, and there is a heat exchager system. So if the oil stat is not working (usually fails open) the engine coolant gets additional free cooling from the 6 litres of oil as well as the 11 litres of coolant and the over sized radiator if the coolant stat is struggling.

It's why it's important that both stats work.

I'll be honest, I tend to mask the grille at this time of year just to cut the icy blast of air down a bit. About a 1/3rd masked off soon brings the temp gauge to where it should be.

· Registered
718 Posts
Im scratching my head. I have replaced little thermostat, big thermostat and housing, had voltage tested and all i want to do now is set fire to it in a field and run away.
Is this cool running causing you some problems?

Mine only just gets to the 1/2 mark on a motorway run and most of the time its around the 1/4. However, the car runs fine and the heater gets hot so no big deal really.

· Registered
6,636 Posts
Mine runs at 1/4 when not working hard this time of year, It might be using a fair bit of the engines heat to keep the cab warm.

If you do decide on burning, the general rule of thumb is, the lower the windows, the higher the temperature.

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Similar problem here. Replaced both thermostats and still won't go above 1/4 mark. Maybe a touch above with heater off but not much. When idling if leave long enough will go up to half but as soon as drive done to 1/4. Even at idle takes a long time to get to half and right away the pipe from main thermostat to top of radiator starts warming up. Seems like coolant is getting through even though thermostat is closed. Going to take off again tomorrow and recheck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.