Temporary Insurance for Export

Cata1yst

Reaction score
Okay so the misses is eyeing up a XKR, and we've seen a few in the UK.

We'd like to buy this in the UK bring it to CH and import the car on to Swiss plates which usually takes 4-6 weeks.

This means I need temporary insurance to cover a period of say 1 week to 1 month for that purpose.

Simple you would think?! Nope. She holds a Swiss license and is based in CH.

Temporary insurers cover non UK residents from the EU but not Switzerland on UK plates, which is pretty stupid as licenses between the EU and CH are cross transferable. Green cards also cover CH so it's not as if I live in a black hole.

So if we purchase a UK car, how do I insure it with her on the insurance (aswell as myself) and get this thing into the Swiss import process?

Any offers? Apart from car transporter?

Cambo351

Reaction score
Exactly what i did when I bought the XJR in London and imported it to Switzerland. My Swiss insurer (Die Mobiliar) covered it on UK plates for 2 months before I got it registered here. Did you see my thread on englishforum.ch?

Cata1yst

Reaction score
Tried this with Zurich Insurance based in Zurich, they have been told not to cover the 3rd party portion.

The guy is not taking the P, I spoke too as he's a mate. So if he could do it he would!

Hmm Z plates it is then, or as I still have an address in the UK put a policy against that then cancel it. (Yes I know the obvious results with that one!)

Cata1yst

Reaction score
Definitely solved... ;)

Good morning Karl,

Although the look-up only shows 2013 for the year of manufacture, documentation issued does not show the year of registration since the system uses the vehicle data held centrally.

As I have approved this particular make/ model / year, it will be acceptable to purchase insurance cover from www.skyeurodrive.co.uk

Please feel free to contact me if you require further assistance.

Best regards

Barrie Simpson
Internet Schemes Operations Manager
STCI Division
Sky Insurance Services Group Ltd
Sky House, 28 Station Close, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, EN6 1TL