Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
10,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that the general consensus/rumours is that there is going to be a hike in diesel fuel duty and a drop in petrol fuel duty, 1p either way to encourage people to buy hybrid/electric. With a £200 premium tax on new diesel cars too.

Apparently this could raise up to £800m doing this, hitting haulage and essentially food prices which to me seems a bit short sighted.

Will have to see what happens tomorrow.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/882284/Budget-2017-diesel-prices-UK-fuel-duty-petrol-cars

·
Registered
824 Posts
Its called making rubbish up to try and balance the books. The 1p either way is to keep the idiots happy.
The £200 is to balance the books, masquerading as penalising dirty diesels. Making out as if new diesels are just as bad as older petrols and diesels.
Considering this is absolute rubbish, and the PM has said as such, this can only be seen as book balancing but keeping diesel bashers happy.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Yes an extra increase in fuel will hit me in the pocket. I have to transport my wife everywhere as she cannot get about on her own. So will have to wait and see. Robbers that's what they are. We get an increase in our pensions and they take back more than they give :(

Roger

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
And if he puts every contractor on IR35 footing, the country is stuffed anyway. You can't balance the loss of all that VAT when everyone stops collecting it, you won't be able to balance the loss in fuel taxes when most every contractor takes work locally for a wage instead of on a contract... Or simply stops travelling to work, you will have Insurance companies falling over because, well, potentially millions won't need to buy Public Liability and Employers Liability Insurance any more.

I'll just be a 9-5 drone who gets paid no matter how little I do every day. Just like the rest of the salaried work force.

The last job I ran, at the Science Museum, of the 76 workers onsite, all but 2 were Ltd Co's.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Mrs V is out shopping in the Jaguar, top of the list? full tank of diesel, whisky, gin, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Are you bed bound Victor?

Are you mad?

Are you actually Victor?

Mrs V out in the Jag!! I'll call the rozzers ;-)

I was thinking of heading out in mine to Meadowhall, as this'll take me into WF postcodes, 'appen I'll take the Disco.

Rich

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Well thank god the fuel price has not been clobbered.
I thought it was a pretty good budget under the circumstances.

Roger

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Well thank god the fuel price has not been clobbered.
I thought it was a pretty good budget under the circumstances.

Roger
I'd normally watch it but SWMBO is up and about and it'd only add more fuel to the fire if I did.

I'll have to make do with the early evening news to get the jist.

Rich

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Mrs V is out shopping in the Jaguar, top of the list? full tank of diesel, whisky, gin, etc.
Could have saved yourself a few pennies by not filling up the Jag till the weekend.:-?

Roger

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah I've been hanging on filling up to see what the prices do. Normally the supermarket petrol stations are the first to drop their prices, so will keep an eye out and see which ones are the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.