61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have to say, from the pictures, I quite like Kermit, looks like the colour suits it.
Congrats on the MOT, mine passed hers with flying colours on Thursday (y):).

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Another benefit of having Kermit is that this engine is compatible with Immobile's. On which, a crank sensor was fitted. No joy. Cap'n C is doubtful. Hanging by a thread now - maybe one last £100 throw of the dice...

Immobile remains immobile much to my frustration.
We have fuel we have air but we have no spark. I re checked everything inc relays and fuses but no joy. So I washed her (covered in seagull crap from being parked outside the garage) and with a bit of help got her on the trailer (now fitted with new super duper nylon cable for winch) and new method of loading which involves the trailer doing a wheelie... It's now awaiting its fate at the lockup. I will try one last ditch effort of swapping ecu’s between immobile and Kermit when they are colocated.

I cant get a remote to sync with the car, this makes me think the lack of spark is alarm/immobiliser related. We could invest in a deep diagnostic with jag specific hardware (there is a place in Scarborough) that might tell us exactly the fault or it might not, it will be expensive - around £100. Then whatever needs doing to fix it. I think we are flogging a dead horse - the car was already given up on by someone else. We should break it as originally planned before it costs us too much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have to say, from the pictures, I quite like Kermit, looks like the colour suits it.
Congrats on the MOT, mine passed hers with flying colours on Thursday (y):).
I was very happy she passed i had a gut feeling she (he now) was a good un, that he passed after sitting for years and only driving 7 miles to the MOT station, with only minor advisories re the discs just proved it and they will disappear on her way up north as the rust on them is cleaned away under braking. If not then the spare new discs we have will be fitted.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Kermit did a whopping but completely legit 37 miles while untaxed, :eek: as the usual testing station is some distance from the point of sale, and then home. When we had made contingency plans to trailer him away with a long To-do list. Now parked off road, pending tax. Of course, trade plates would be even better, but we've not quite got that far yet.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
they will disappear on her way up north as the rust on them is cleaned away under braking.

With a barely used car, preferring the direct straight line via the Humber Bridge, rather than the A1(M) - the real brake test will be on the Staxton Hill descent. "17% - Try Your Brakes - Escape Lane Ahead." Ploughing into the sandpit might help clean the underside.

We had our braked trailer tested on that too, the ultimate challenge.

It's either that or Bridlington. Rock and Hard Place.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
In response to Cap't C's report on the last ditch plans to resuscitate Immobile, Orsom Weels got in touch via PM, and very kindly offered to loan his diagnostic laptop and Mongoose cable. So I spent a fun afternoon driving Kermit across the Swampy Fens to Orsom Towers. The slight flat spots on the tyres from the long time idle more than compensated by the undulating roads, and cautious speed alongside the waterways which have claimed many a car and driver.

The Orsom S-Type Collection was confirmation that I'd arrived at the correct house. Some time was then spent talking classic cars in general, and XKs in particular, followed by a training session and note taking to pass on to Cap'n C.

Here's hoping it leads to the Return of Immobile. The celebration, (or post-mortem), is planned at Orsom's local on Saturday week. Well deserved beers either way.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive parking light
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Good to see you again yesterday Phil, and to chat about our favourite subject :ROFLMAO:.

I hope the loan of the diagnostics leads to a suitable outcome and 'immobile' becomes just plain old 'mobile' :ROFLMAO:

Having now seen him 'in the metal', I reckon with the trims put back to a more 'correct' colour, and a good mop and polish, Kermit will look just fine. A nice 'entry level' XK for someone to cherish and improve along the way without breaking the bank :).

All the best,
OW

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
A nice 'entry level' XK for someone to cherish and improve along the way without breaking the bank :).
Excellent snappy sales pitch right there. Consider that stolen... (y)

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,344 Posts
Nice one there OW - the loan of the diagnostics and the Jags ... owwww I do love an S-Type ;)

I saw this lovely feline last week when sorting out the MOT for our XJ and another today on the way back from Exeter, who knows, may even have been the same one?

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

Reactions: orsom weels

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Nice one there OW - the loan of the diagnostics and the Jags ... owwww I do love an S-Type ;)
Much like with the XK8's, I fell for the looks of the S type the first time I saw one, and after driving one, knew I had to have one :). I still think it's one of the nicest and most comfortable cars Jaguar have made, and the ride quality is second to none, but then I am a bit biased :ROFLMAO:.
Yes its such a pity they are not popular with the General car buying public as they are really nice cars.
I think there's a perception that they are an expensive car to own and run, but in my experience, they're no worse than a lot of other makes/models, and better than many! The VW Golf GTi we had cost more in maintenance and repair in the couple of years we had it than all the S types we've had put together!

Finger crossed the XK will share some of those traits with the S types :)

Reactions: Ruby351 and Sailor

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Yesterday was a most productive day spent at the lockup - no day of rest for us two, oh no.

Here, we see Cap'n C applying leather treatment to a Lesser Vehicle, a Saab 93 convertible, (Memsaab). Found as a very poorly presented MOT failure, with lots of lovely Saab spares thrown in. Now fully restored. After a happy hour or so spent polishing, Memsaab was parked to one side ready for the journey down south, where it will occupy the space currently taken by XKVert. Unfortunate delays mean it will probably be held over until the Spring, 😎 as it should fetch a better price then. If only through hyperinflation... :eek:

As can be seen, Kermit made it over the Humber Bridge and beyond. Roundabouts were the fun part in getting here - it whips around those like it's on rails. :devilish:

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle

We then moved Kermit into the lockup, to join Immobile and Shaguar.

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

Cap'n C then progressed to playing with Orsom's diagnostics laptop and Mongoose connection. This immediately established that the problem is in the wiring from the Cam sensors, which have both been recently replaced. He then connected it up to Shaguar, which, while it moves, (if given the spark plugs it's currently loaned to Immobile) runs rougher than the proverbial Badger's Arse. Here, we had the option of reconfiguring the ECU, but gingerly backed away from that. But Cap'n C later had a long chat with the ever-supportive Orsom, who continues to offer valuable advice and moral support.

Finally, as a short cut to getting Kermit ready to sell on, we swapped out the very iffy silver scuttle and window trim for the much better condition trim on Immobile. Kermit will now get a wash and polish, followed by refitting. A visitor suggested we painted up the alloys in gloss black, as Kermit is already non-standard. But we think the cheapo Revolver alloys finished in gunmetal might be better still. Orsom has even given us the paint code for the XK8 trim - Dorchester Grey Metallic - either LDD or LDP, his can wasn't quite clearly marked.

Quite a few, but not all, really like Kermit's Green shade. That hue was last seen applied to Panther tanks and FW 190's, in the dying days of the Reich.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Hood Bumper Automotive design Automotive side-view mirror Automotive exterior

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Memsaab goes South

Set off, bought sarnie crisps and coke at Scarborough Morrisons, along with £45 diesel. Being goody two shoes, not eating while driving, I sought out a rest stop at Ferrybridge services in driving rain, got hopelessly lost, and landed at a layby next to a new-build estate at Pontefract's Edge. Chomped on sarnie and crisps, guzzled coke. Raining hard, but all was well. Same as Kermit, driver side mirror not moving, so I prodded it.

The MIrror'd Glass luckily fell into my instant-reflex hand, rather than shatter upon the ground in a zillion shards.

Moments later, the pax-side wiper detached from the arm.

Then, Lo, the Dark Thunder Clouds did part, and appeared forth, a vision of a besuited Business Continuity Planner Moment Of Truth Consultant, who thusly Spake Unto Myself:

Now get out of that, you so-called Retired Disaster Planner.

Remaining calm, I did refit the poorly fitted blade, which, upon reflection, thankfully had detached while stationary, (praise duly be unto the Motoring Deity). And so, that challenge was resolved.

Then, seeking superglue, I did take the mirror, and did walk among the New Build Rabbit Hutches, and espied a MOTOR TRADER clutching his most vaunted plates. Alas, he appeared to be a resident of a distant land, and confused, so I bade him Good Day. Then, a chap parking in his drive in a 22 Electric Mini, who eventually emerged from his pride and joy, but sadly, no joy for me. Most of the other nice new houses sadly did not respond, their Mortgagees obliged to work elsewhere to meet their onerous obligations. Then, a few houses later, a tattoo'd young Mum...

Oh Rightho, yeh, got some superglue here. Take it, don't want it back.

And lo, it was the highest of quality branded Bostick too. Another miracle! Liberally applied and affixed, given five minutes... Aaaand... gingerly closing and not slamming the drivers door. Now, I could continue to drive safely home.

Like the Nice Dog Lady a few pages back, the address was noted. Flowers to be ordered tomorrow for Superglue Mum. Impossible to drive the A1(M) safely with no driver's mirror. She saved my day.

At Brigg Services, the clouds did briefly part further, to reveal a hot shining orb, and for a little way beyond Pontefract, until darkening skies at Newark, the Thunderbirds cover deployment mechanism was activated, the hood was down, shades donned, and there was the fleeting joy of the wind in my beard, and some stonking tracks from a long-forgotten Blues Compilation CD, which both I and Cap'n C own, and Memsaab Was All Good.

Holding this over till 2023, after a long and lonely Winter. Here Comes The Sun. Do be dooby doo. Oh I say, it's alright.

But it goes without saying that an XK Convertible is in a different league altogether, for just a few pounds more.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
A lurker mate suggests:

Being a disaster planner, one would expect, by now, that you would carry a box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers in the tool box. These seem to be essential spares in any journey you make. :ROFLMAO: 🌷🌹🌷🌹🌼🌸🌺

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,344 Posts
A lurker mate suggests:

Being a disaster planner, one would expect, by now, that you would carry a box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers in the tool box. These seem to be essential spares in any journey you make. :ROFLMAO: 🌷🌹🌷🌹🌼🌸🌺
Cooler weather on the horizon means at least the chocs won't melt (y)

Reactions: orsom weels
61 - 80 of 126 Posts