Jaguar Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Looks really nice now :) I think the colour really suits it, and the 'correct' colour trims look much nicer and set it off better than those odd silver things. They go with the black interior better as well (y)

Just one small little criticism if I may be so bold :oops: Personally, I'd loose the checker plate drivers footwell mat and replace it with a nice carpet item ;)

Good luck with the sale :)

OW

Reactions: Ruby351 and PetA

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I think that colour might suit a sunny day.
Sunny day? In Scarborough?

Another subtle point to consider is not showing any trees in one's ad photos. That way, it's not later very obvious with the passing of the seasons that the vehicle has sadly been on sale for months on end...

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,344 Posts
Just one small little criticism if I may be so bold :oops: Personally, I'd loose the checker plate drivers footwell mat and replace it with a nice carpet item ;)
Consider the lighting on the photos you take for the sale advert. I think that colour might suit a sunny day. Not sure.
Kermit is really looking the business now and great work getting him ready for the off.

I would agree with OW and MrKis in that the advert photos can really make a difference and so at the risk of great annoyance I shall add my two penneth as the saying goes, 'don’t spoil the ship for a ha’p’orth of tar', and I hasten to say that I only add these pointers not in any shape or form by way of a criticism, but as ideas that may be useful in potentially aiding a better response and positive outcome.

So here goes, I agree that good lighting and the car's presentation is very important, and it is best to avoid things like a soiled car mat, bits on the carpet by the handbrake or in the footwells or a silver hair or two left on the back seat etc., as things like this can be off putting. A well-presented car can command a better price and reduce the potential 'wiggle' room I think .

Also for me, it is important in attracting potential buyers to make your car stand out from others advertised and draw them in to read what's on offer and ultimately in doing so make them desire it, so you need to sell the whole package i.e. the 'dream' and not just the machine.
Thus, the photo I feel, needs to have some thought as to the backdrop and the 'story' you are selling, so having another car present is distracting, and I would say a definite no, no, especially a BMW for obvious reasons I think.

Having a backdrop with such like: storage container, tarmac, parking bay white lines, several doors to what I am thinking are part of various business' in a local 'trading estate' area and the back of red brick building and drainpipes etc., are all, 'cold', industrial and Del Boy business like, nothing magical, big cat, Jaaag, sports car, 'living the dream' or exciting ... well not in my book anyway, definitely lacking a little pizzazz there gents.

Okay, I think you get where I'm coming from and I have tried to edit one photo of Kermit, but obviously there are no shadows, as it has taken me long enough to get this far, just to give a little idea of the difference a background can make, and sorry about the colour changes of Kermit, but that's the photo editing outcome. Also included a piccy of my Merc to show what sunshine can do to a cars paintwork and really show it off and lastly a great backdrop of my XJ.

I hope you find this useful and take it in the manner I have written it, as no offence is meant in any way, it's just that I have spent decades editing puppy and kitten adverts in the past and I have seen some pretty disastrous adverts some folks put up in selling theirs.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Window
Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Kermit is really looking the business now and great work getting him ready for the off.

I would agree with OW and MrKis in that the advert photos can really make a difference and so at the risk of great annoyance I shall add my two penneth as the saying goes, 'don’t spoil the ship for a ha’p’orth of tar', and I hasten to say that I only add these pointers not in any shape or form by way of a criticism, but as ideas that may be useful in potentially aiding a better response and positive outcome.

So here goes, I agree that good lighting and the car's presentation is very important, and it is best to avoid things like a soiled car mat, bits on the carpet by the handbrake or in the footwells or a silver hair or two left on the back seat etc., as things like this can be off putting. A well-presented car can command a better price and reduce the potential 'wiggle' room I think .

Also for me, it is important in attracting potential buyers to make your car stand out from others advertised and draw them in to read what's on offer and ultimately in doing so make them desire it, so you need to sell the whole package i.e. the 'dream' and not just the machine.
Thus, the photo I feel, needs to have some thought as to the backdrop and the 'story' you are selling, so having another car present is distracting, and I would say a definite no, no, especially a BMW for obvious reasons I think.

Having a backdrop with such like: storage container, tarmac, parking bay white lines, several doors to what I am thinking are part of various business' in a local 'trading estate' area and the back of red brick building and drainpipes etc., are all, 'cold', industrial and Del Boy business like, nothing magical, big cat, Jaaag, sports car, 'living the dream' or exciting ... well not in my book anyway, definitely lacking a little pizzazz there gents.

Okay, I think you get where I'm coming from and I have tried to edit one photo of Kermit, but obviously there are no shadows, as it has taken me long enough to get this far, just to give a little idea of the difference a background can make, and sorry about the colour changes of Kermit, but that's the photo editing outcome. Also included a piccy of my Merc to show what sunshine can do to a cars paintwork and really show it off and lastly a great backdrop of my XJ.

I hope you find this useful and take it in the manner I have written it, as no offence is meant in any way, it's just that I have spent decades editing puppy and kitten adverts in the past and I have seen some pretty disastrous adverts some folks put up in selling theirs.

View attachment 55975

View attachment 55976 View attachment 55977
Hi Gina

All good points. A 'blurb' selling the dream, as you put it, has already been prepped. (Great minds, etc...) Not going to go into specifics on this thread though, as we've just made enquiries to place a commercial ad on the Forum classifieds. Where actual money gets mentioned, as distinct from the ongoing trials and tribulations of Mustard and Crappycrimp. It would be good to support the Forum in this way, if we can.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
If you guys start looking for more x100's to save in the next few months, I have one in need of a good home :)

View attachment 55980
Hi Roadhogg

Those ramps look handy as a cheaper alternative to a hydraulic garage thingywotsit. Especially as it seems X100s need more underside inspection than most. But from recent trailer experience, my inner Health and Safety guy is having conniptions - he keeps saying it needs chocks or some kind of restraint to stop it rolling back..?

As for the X100, pm me with details if you like, but we're at capacity right now...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Mr Mustard,
the car has been on those ramps, in park with the handbrake on, for about 6 years, apart from an emergency move when the neighbours chimney started collapsing a few years ago.
It's not going anywhere without outside help, so I think you can rest easy :)
The ramps were about £40 a pair I think, and rated at 2 or 2.5 tons each. I found them online somewhere soon after I got the car back in 2012, but can't remember where I bought them from.

PM to follow :)

·
Registered
53 Posts

View attachment 55975

View attachment 55976 View attachment 55977
Hi Gina
Thanks for the ideas which are good and no offense taken, I write a pretty good blurb but admit photos are not my strong point. BTW the rubber mats were specially made and cost a fortune I have the bill🤣

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you guys start looking for more x100's to save in the next few months, I have one in need of a good home :)

View attachment 55980
Looking forward to the PM.
Some questions
what year is it,
what is it xkr or xk8
why is it laid up?
does it run?
Do you have more photos, and photos of the interior?
Does it come with the ramps?
😁
Yours captain C

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello captain crappycrimp,
unfortunately it doesn't come with the ramps, although after 6 years on them, I am sure they will shed some tears when the car leaves them.
It's a 2000 XK8, it's laid up because the gearbox oil pipes had been cut and joined together with rubber tubing and jubilee clips, until a jubilee clip gave up the fight and the car started dumping it's gearbox oil in the road. The pipes have been replaced, but I am not quite happy with their position, and I think the gentle use of a pipe bender may be a good idea to give them a little more clearance on the right hand side of the engine. I was going to put it back together, get it running and sell it as spares or repairs, which I may yet do, unless I can find a good home for it where the attention, expertise, time and facilities it deserves can be lavished on it.
It doesn't run but it should, as it did before I parked it up and took various bits out of the engine bay to make room to fit the new pipes.
I have old photos, mainly of the work I did replacing the primary and secondary tensioners and chains, but I don't have any decent recent pics of either the car or it's interior.
I can get some next time I visit my dad, because it's on his front drive.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Hi Gina

All good points. A 'blurb' selling the dream, as you put it, has already been prepped. (Great minds, etc...) Not going to go into specifics on this thread though, as we've just made enquiries to place a commercial ad on the Forum classifieds. Where actual money gets mentioned, as distinct from the ongoing trials and tribulations of Mustard and Crappycrimp. It would be good to support the Forum in this way, if we can.
Hi Gina
Thanks for the ideas which are good and no offense taken, I write a pretty good blurb but admit photos are not my strong point. BTW the rubber mats were specially made and cost a fortune I have the bill🤣
Phew! That's a relief, I must admit I went to bed with a sweat on and woke up in the same state
Art Oval Font Fashion accessory Circle
and almost too scared to check out my emails and the forum.

Good idea about using the forum in placing an ad, always good to support and be able to put a little back where one can.

Sorry about the bespoke rubber mats, it was just that I thought the AC or someone might have had a leak but turns out Ruby made a bloomer there me thinks ... doh!

I didn't mention the text for your ad, as somehow I didn't think either of you would be left wanting in that in that capacity
Smile Mouth Jaw Cartoon Happy

A couple of other tips regarding photos, may be too late for Kermit, but possibly useful in the future and I have put them in picture form as easier to show than explain...

I find it is better where possible or appropriate to have the subject matter:
1) facing slightly uphill or level but never downhill
2) facing left (obviously not possible with the right side of the car)

I have taken the same picture and edited it, exaggerating the tilt for demonstration purposes...

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light

When the subject matter is facing uphill even slightly and in either direction, it will have a more positive uplifting feel to the image, whereas if it faces down the opposite effect will occur and there will be a more negative feel to the image.

Vertebrate Human Horse Organism Mammal

Okey-dokey, that's it from me, I'm off to let Vienna & Elizabeth out, say night, night to our kitties get my Ovaltine and hope for a better night's sleep ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
BTW the rubber mats were specially made and cost a fortune I have the bill🤣
Together with the silver painted trims then, one does have to question the previous owners taste :eek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Especially them ramps. They are very highly sought-after by the likes of Cap'n C. X100 XK's, be that 8 or R, on the other hand, are two a penny, honest Gug'nor...
Talking of ramps, I don't know if you would be interested but I have just seen these of Jim's and thought of you and Captain C ...

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Talking of ramps, I don't know if you would be interested but I have just seen these of Jim's and thought of you and Captain C ...

Nice work there, but have you seen the price of timber in Wickes lately? :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Phew! That's a relief, I must admit I went to bed with a sweat on and woke up in the same state View attachment 56019 and almost too scared to check out my emails and the forum.

Good idea about using the forum in placing an ad, always good to support and be able to put a little back where one can.

Sorry about the bespoke rubber mats, it was just that I thought the AC or someone might have had a leak but turns out Ruby made a bloomer there me thinks ... doh!

I didn't mention the text for your ad, as somehow I didn't think either of you would be left wanting in that in that capacity View attachment 56020

A couple of other tips regarding photos, may be too late for Kermit, but possibly useful in the future and I have put them in picture form as easier to show than explain...

I find it is better where possible or appropriate to have the subject matter:
1) facing slightly uphill or level but never downhill
2) facing left (obviously not possible with the right side of the car)

I have taken the same picture and edited it, exaggerating the tilt for demonstration purposes...

View attachment 56024

When the subject matter is facing uphill even slightly and in either direction, it will have a more positive uplifting feel to the image, whereas if it faces down the opposite effect will occur and there will be a more negative feel to the image.

View attachment 56025

Okey-dokey, that's it from me, I'm off to let Vienna & Elizabeth out, say night, night to our kitties get my Ovaltine and hope for a better night's sleep ;)
Hi Gina
Sadly the sun won’t play today, or probably in the near future but what do you think of these taken today, had to be quick in the hotel before the chased me out🤣
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Plant

Car Vehicle Plant Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light

Automotive parking light Plant Car Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Hi Gina
Sadly the sun won’t play today, or probably in the near future but what do you think of these taken today, had to be quick in the hotel before the chased me out🤣 View attachment 56049
View attachment 56050
View attachment 56054
View attachment 56051
View attachment 56053
View attachment 56052
Flipping heck Captain C ... OUTSTANDING!

Not to worry about the sun as there are still some serious reflections going on in Kermit's glossy coat.

Well done you matey superb job and you should be well proud of yourself as I surely am ... he truly looks a first class and stunning Jaguar!

101 - 120 of 126 Posts