Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Took it out for an evening spin yesterday. 40 I held my breath 50.... 60 nothing not a shake. Yay thinks I and continued the 25 mile each way run for a Kit Kat. On the way back... 40 hold on..... 50 and my fillings were juddering.... 60 and its normal again, didn't do it since but a slight judder at all speeds. Probably as I was looking for it. I could feel my temple vein pulse and was about to turn back for a box of swan vestas. Then a wave of calm came over me. It's only a car. Things can be fixed.
I'm not used to old cars.
When I was 18 I didn't have perfect skin. I had spots and blemishes. I worked on them. Now I'm pushing 60 I suppose my car is my age in car years like dog years go. I creak. I shake. I cough and fart with the best of them. I have trouble starting first thing in the morning ( car doesn't yet) that will hopefully be a non story in winter. but no one has scrapped me yet. I will need a bit welded on soon. My Knee has gone but I'm far from the scrap heap.
So with some love, not a bucket load of cash, but a respectable amount we'll see what can be done. I'm still aiming at the tyres. I dont like these tyres anyway. Failing that in we go with the engine mounts and gearbox mount and see what can be done. Or I might just ignore it after the tyres if its just a minor wobble.

And now for something completely different.
The number plate is tied to the car. I found that when I got the logbook back. I was confused, did a check it hasn't been written off, hasn't had a different plate. I won't put the whole lot on here, devious ringers find stuff online, but it ends with XJO I contacted Swansea who informed me it is a valuable plate and they are "not in the habit of passing on valued plates as they sell them" so at least old Bic looks like it has a personalised plate.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Loving the way that you're looking at things for yourself and the car, long may both continue George!

Reactions: Little George

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok now its getting silly hot up here we had a whole 19 degrees today. The air con has packed in. Its not the gas. Been checked. Just when I got a great quote from Halfords for 4 pirelli-cinturato-p7 £279 the lot all inclusive. A rated in the wet Ideal for up here. What gets my hard earned first. I ask myself.
Heat in Scotland is rare use aircon a week maybe week and a half a year but thats a serious price for some nice tyres.

Reactions: 98_Martin

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's the shoes I have on mine and I like them, plenty confidence in the dry and wet when hammering on a bit. I did last winter with them also and they did surprisingly well but certainly are limited when the snow starts lying.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That's the shoes I have on mine and I like them, plenty confidence in the dry and wet when hammering on a bit. I did last winter with them also and they did surprisingly well but certainly are limited when the snow starts lying.
Awesome well theres a recommendation. Very rarely snows up in my little corner we got the gulf stream and its continual drizzle. When It does snow I very rarely go out. The big hill I live up and the 21 mile one track road means you really do need a big ol 4 wheeler to get anywhere.

Righty ho Decided to have a crack at my aircon today. Pump seems to be working. I can hear it kick in and engine revs change on the counter. Pulled out the relay and swapped it over with the hooter. checked the fuse, did that reset thing with lo to high low face feet face window. Cleaned the bugs out of the cooler jobbie at the front. Guess what. Naaaaa. So I recon it's either something simple like a leak or something expensive like its a jag money pit. Not on my main list of to do in the wallet department. I'm more concerned about that shaking thats come back at 50. That said.

I got a torch and a mirror and even my mobile for photos to browse and had a good look at the engine mounts. They actually do not look old. Have a feeling they have been done already. All the jobs that have been done in the past couple of years before me have jaguar dealer receipts. So must have been the guy before the guy before me.
Only thing I'm really left with as the suspension was checked at the MOT just over a month ago are those manky tyres. Of course it could be an alloy but I recon they would have picked up a bucked wheel when I've had it balanced twice. Car is going in for a looksee diagnosis visit when I get the appointment. See what they come up with.
Not going along the DMF route. It shows no other symptoms for that and its not a misfire. Goes up Scottish hills super fine keeping up the speed and revs while it's shaking.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi ,
That's a tale you're writing about your Jag. Not the best advert for this wonderful car ( when it behaves). I'd bought my 2007 2.2D S back in 2013 which was a two owner and Cat D but with only 38K on the clock. After sorting it out over the years and putting some 60K miles on the clock my Chilli is purring away and doing very nicely even on German Autobahns @ 120mph. Everything works as it should , even the CDC and I have only one regret that they won't allow it into London as it's Euro4. They have no probs letting her into Paris, but not London. So it is used mainly on the Continent travelling long distances in comfort and coolness of AC. The AC does need to be on at all times else the compressor seals can dry up. Maybe yours has that problem? Key to it's reliability in my book are frequent quality oil changes, regular inspections under wheel arches, shocks, driveshafts, wheel bearings, bushes and corrosion checks. Timely attention to all those has made my car fully dependable and in peek condition. It looks great, feels great to drive and is quite frugal even in town. Once it is sorted properly, it can give years of service. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Hi ,
That's a tale you're writing about your Jag. Not the best advert for this wonderful car ( when it behaves). I'd bought my 2007 2.2D S back in 2013 which was a two owner and Cat D but with only 38K on the clock. After sorting it out over the years and putting some 60K miles on the clock my Chilli is purring away and doing very nicely even on German Autobahns @ 120mph. Everything works as it should , even the CDC and I have only one regret that they won't allow it into London as it's Euro4. They have no probs letting her into Paris, but not London. So it is used mainly on the Continent travelling long distances in comfort and coolness of AC. The AC does need to be on at all times else the compressor seals can dry up. Maybe yours has that problem? Key to it's reliability in my book are frequent quality oil changes, regular inspections under wheel arches, shocks, driveshafts, wheel bearings, bushes and corrosion checks. Timely attention to all those has made my car fully dependable and in peek condition. It looks great, feels great to drive and is quite frugal even in town. Once it is sorted properly, it can give years of service. Good luck with yours!
Hey There Tombo thanks for taking the time to reply after my lengthy ramblings. Glad your enjoying your jag sounds a babe. Ahh the AC It's had a new pump last year before I bought it, I have the receipt. I've had it regassed, can hear the engine work with it. but not a whiff of cool air. I think this car was built on a Monday morning. It looks pretty but to be honest the thing is a bit of a pig. I was under the bonnet sorting the window washers out the day after I bought it.
It's going in on the 3rd to find out what this wobbling is all about. When I've finally finished throwing money at it I might just be able to enjoy it and this thread will get a bit more upbeat.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share some repairs that have been done before I bought it. Wondering why the guy got rid of it shortly after spending over two thousand, he had it 6 months according to the receipts I have. Was he ready to cut his losses does he know what is to come? Of course it might be an unfortunate life event. Who knows.

So far in the 6 weeks I have owned it
4 wheel alignment and balance 140
2 window wipers 18
wheel alignment and Balance again 64 (was forced into a ditch)
drivers side driveshaft replaced. 222
Clearcoat started to peel
Aircon regas, no charge didn't make any difference.
4 Pirelli cinturato p7 245 ( my choice I'm fussy with tryes didn't like the ones on it.)

I can see on it
2 new rear springs
Clean subframe on rear. Not new but obviously a replacement.
both sides sills replaced and welded
boot floor has been replaced with a new one

before me
all repairs from jaguar
regular oil changes and services all stamped except me. Got a few thousand miles to do yet.

1 from last guy 70
new coolant hose 110 coolant 25
passenger side driveshaft 402
Aircon pump new belt and tensioner 250
rear suspension trailing arm bushes and nsr mount bracket 267
crank damper and tensioner 215
rear drop links, rear anti roll bar and bushes 420
air con regas 40
4 Pirelli p7 375 (obviously nabbed by the trader and replaced with these new no name tyres on here now).
Thats a lot to spend in 6 months and then send it on its way.

On my list now.
Have the 50 mph strong vibration investigated next week Driver side driveshaft
Scratched windscreen needs replacing, hence wiperblades.
Developed a squeal when turning engine off, alternator or water pump its along the pullies somewhere anyhow. gone since its cooled down out there
4 tyres Bought Pirelli Cinturato P7
get that aircon working
fix the cigarette lighter socket Only a fuse
Little bit of rust showing drivers side wheel arch needs doing before it spreads.
Exhaust has started blowing from the front somewhere.
Fix the reversing sensor, it dont work at all

Any thoughts. Does my car like being in car hospital. Is it a hypercondricat?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Ah Argyll & Bute, the bench mark in road management ineptitude.
After spending 10 harrowing days on the roads in scotland...i know exactly what you mean.
Narrow , no hard shoulders and massive lorries and caravans.
The A 82 is perilous ....scrapped the tyres twice on a high curb. Lucky a hired car...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Wonderful road the A82 one of the main ways into the west of Scotland. Wait until your stuck behind the landslip at the rest and be thankful on the A83 every time it rains. It's slightly wider that way, not much, but not a white knuckle ride.

So the restoration begins with the little things, may as well while I'm waiting the last few days for it's garage visit. Fixed the cigarette lighter, it was only a fuse. Fuse didn't look blown but I changed it anyway and woo hoo. I have a power socket. Yay for me. I'm on a roll I fixed something so with newfound confidence I tackled the driver side bonnet catch that didn't click. Some grease and flicking it a few times sorted that. 2 for 2. Thought I'd go for the hattrick and replace the washer tube connector that's leaking. (the one between the washers under the soundproofing) you think I can find the new one I bought. 'course not. Two out of three aint bad.

Ordered some tyres after all. Price sent me the Pirelli route. There was a sale on at that garage where they used to dance. Guy comes here saves me 20 quid in diesel and puts them on and the rubber set was 140 cheaper than the Michelins. Seriously 245 quid for 4 I couldn't let pass. I very very rarely go out in the snow, in fact last time I did was 12 years ago in my Mondeo. I'm too remote to be that crazy actually would need a snow plough fitted rather than snow tyres and I'm not kidding. So with some ohh and arring I went and saved myself some cash for the next batch of fixes. List 2 posts above.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I’ve found over the years that sorting the little things can give that warm fuzzy feeling. I felt more satisfied (and a good deal cleaner and less skin-abraded) when I finally fixed the panel light in the *** lighter socket. (Which lives in the dark anyway……) than fitting new front struts, springs and bottom ball joints plus exchange hubs.

Cracking deal on those tyres btw: I paid 280 quid a couple of years ago for four Laufens, inc balance etc which, to be fair have been excellent.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have one with 246000 km on it and still prepared to spend on it.

My annual costs run out at about 4500Chf per year which includes insurance, tax, servicing and fuel.
Insurance and tax are 1000Chf.
However, will be seeing the effect of the 30% fuel price rise this year...

If I tried to sell it, I would get about 1500Chf, then finding a good car to replace it would be far more...
Given I am 6'3" it is a comfortable drive - had a hire car last week and wished I had not.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have one with 246000 km on it and still prepared to spend on it.

My annual costs run out at about 4500Chf per year which includes insurance, tax, servicing and fuel.
Insurance and tax are 1000Chf.
However, will be seeing the effect of the 30% fuel price rise this year...

If I tried to sell it, I would get about 1500Chf, then finding a good car to replace it would be far more...
Given I am 6'3" it is a comfortable drive - had a hire car last week and wished I had not.
I can see the logic there. Cant argue about running costs on the car.
My concern about spending on it is if some fool drives into it the insurance company will write it off in a heartbeat. Seeing book value is only 1700 no matter what I paid for it. They do that, then take away 200 excess. I'll be given 1500 for a jag that could have cost me personally the 2 grand I paid for it plus the bucket loads I could throw at it and indeed the guy before me did.
I've been burned like this before had a Granada. Had a new engine fitted new auto box and it caught fire. I loved that car, I got 400 quid after excess and the engine alone cost me 300. Thats why I'll never throw too much cash at a car again and indeed why I got rid of my BMW. It had 200k on the clock. Book value was 2 grand the MOT repairs were 1100 plus the other things going wrong, In my mind its all about the other idiot with my reg number on his hit list.

Anyhow on a lighter note. Fixed my window washers today. Thats all it has done for now. It goes in day after tomorrow.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Here's the star of this thread, what all the moans and indecision is about. I found these on the dealers website. What do they use on the paint? It sure doesn't look like that now 8 weeks on.
Inside does though :love:
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well In Old Bic went first thing this morning. Had the driveshaft changed and no wobble not a shimmy. Great garage I recommend them CJ autos in Oban. So I threw away the shake rattle and roll CD and replaced it with smooth operator.
It's better now. another job off of the list.
I still am in the mind not to spend too much on the little things now, but theres no harm in getting the window seal things that are rusted along the doors and polishing it with the tips I got from HERE is there. I mean some polish and buying a dual action polisher isn't exactly spending on the car itself is it?

Lol lovin' the stories LG although struggling to keep up, she's staying / going and now staying.......lol

Cheers
Jim
Keeping it now Jim for sure :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well In Old Bic went first thing this morning. Had the driveshaft changed and no wobble not a shimmy. Great garage I recommend them CJ autos in Oban. So I threw away the shake rattle and roll CD and replaced it with smooth operator.
It's better now. another job off of the list.
I still am in the mind not to spend too much on the little things now, but theres no harm in getting the window seal things that are rusted along the doors and polishing it with the tips I got from HERE is there. I mean some polish and buying a dual action polisher isn't exactly spending on the car itself is it?

Keeping it now Jim for sure :)
Nice one George, good to hear things are going well with the car. The waist seals are a common thing to corrode and look unsightly but unfortunately the only replacement for them is OEM so be prepared to spend a pound or two. Looking forward to seeing the results of the polishing, I've been meaning to buy a DA for a while so do update if you purchase one and how you get on with it, I'll certainly be interested.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Well the polisher and waste seals will have to wait. That exhaust blow is pretty noticeable now.
Really annoying as the car is driving better than ever.
Dont fancy it falling off so it's booked in again Monday for a look at what section needs replacing. It isn't the back box thats new, and really hope its not the cat part. I've done 610 quid on it since last week. I'm no choice committed to finish it off now. No not the car my credit card. The thing will eat both my cards given half a chance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Bit of an upbeat entry today. That blowing exhaust isn't a blowing exhaust it was a sucking air intake. I could have easily been ripped off by an unscrupulous garage but the guy called me over and said here look. I thought, hell this will be expensive but nope. That thing above the rad half slid off. A cable tie and it was sorted. Quiet again, well as quiet as a 2.2 diesel at 17 years old can be.
I'll still hold off on the small bits I mentioned earlier, get my credit card down a bit before another spend. I still want the AC done before next summer and I know thats an expensive one.

It actually turned some heads today, yep after the noise stopped not because it sounded like a dumper truck, and it even got a favourable comment. I mean it is a pretty car can't take that away from it and since I had those Pirelli Cinturato P7s on there it feels like it on an air cushion kind of glides along with a pleasant mild bounce now.

Well theres a first a positive post from me on this thread. :cautious: Lets hope the corner has been turned.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts