Jaguar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It's happened while I was giving it a wash today, Hosepipe ban? No its OK I'm washing my jaaag, I'm breaking my own rules I mentioned a few entries ago. Not since my 1974 3Litre MK1 Granada when I was 19 have I fell for a car.
OK Bic was a bit of a pig shortly after I got it and cost me the best part of 690 quid in the 9 weeks I've had it and I know with the aircon fix and the new windscreen I need I'm looking at another 500 but I just want to keep driving the thing and want it as near perfect as I can get it. I dont care how much it costs in fuel I know it does 46 or so a gallon. I keep saying to the missus "want to go to the shops" (80 mile trip) just to give it a spin. I've purchased some Poorboys blackhole mentioned in another post going to spend some quality time with the car and do it by hand, as I said need to get the card down before I fork out on a DA polisher. It's hard trying not to get emotionally attached to these hunks of metal. I see it now. The thing better behave now I'm all positive about it, Swan vestas are still relatively cheap.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No hosepipe ban up here in the Highlands, day there is the south will be looking like the Sahara! :LOL: I'd be surprised if the likes of Loch Ness has even dropped an inch all summer.

Regarding the polishing, I always like to go over the paint with a clay bar as you'd be surprised by the amount of embedded crap that you otherwise risk polishing into the paintwork creating more scratches.

Reactions: Little George

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Tried the poorboys by hand. Nope I'll wait till I get a polisher. I need one to do the windscreen anyway. Sod buying a new windscreen. I'll get some Cerium Oxide and spend half hour polishing it out. I'll do that in a few weeks. Photos with the post on that job.

I went a did it when it was parked in the supermarket a few days ago. I turned and looked back. It stood right out amongst the modern generics and I thought, wow thats MY car. I'm getting properly attached. Don't think that's a good thing.

Reactions: JimC64

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Been a while so I'll give it an upbeat entry. After some love and care Ol Bic is looking really shiny. I'll get to that later. Only downspot is a seagull gave it a good stomp on the roof and scratched it a small bit. Should polish out when I buy my DA polisher in a few weeks. Had to delay buying it, forked out for a ton of coal and a holiday. My poor wallet hurts.
Took it on holiday last week, what a nice drive. Only 250 miles each way but was a pleasure to do. Those soft Pirelli tyres I put on really gives it a gliding feel. Can feel the road but what a nice, pleasant bounce it has. I must remember to take some nice location pictures when I'm out and about next.
Anyway about the shiny car, 3 people commented on the colour and especially the shine while I was away. Bloke next to me in the services was in a BMW 520 exactly the same as I used to have same colour, that gun metal shade, that looks nice but never really shines, but he was all over the Jag. Dunno what it is about these cars it seems everyone likes a jag. I've had many different makes of cars before. My favourite before this was a 1974 MK1 Ford Granada but no one actually commented on the look of one before. I did get oh you got a beamer once but that was it. I suppose I'll have to blush hold my head high and get used to it now.

Reactions: JimC64 and JohnW

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Tempting fate now. Have two 600 mile runs to do next week. If it makes it with no hassle the trust and respect has been built and I'll class it as a non disposable, bring it back to its former glory even though I've been doing it gradually and might change it's name from Bic. Actually, am looking forward to the runs, I'll be doing them alone so just me and my car. Quality time.
The arthritis in my clutch knee might make me have to go auto in a couple of years even after the effort but I'll be passing on a cracking car. I have been looking at newer Jags but have a liking for this shape. S type, XJ or a 3.0 auto X type is appealing. Wife says whatever it is must be the same colour and have a cream or white inside. She's finally forgot about the BMW and proudly says "Weve got a jag" when she's asked what car we have now. No pressure there then. But all going well that's a few years away, if at all, plenty of time to worry about that.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Enjoy the journey's next week LG.. Hope that they go well. They should be very enjoyable and pleasant in an X-Type, traffic dependant of course.. (y)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well George, after a shaky start I’m glad you’re enjoying your ownership! I, like you, always promised meself a Jaaaaag when I retired. After serious illness in 2004 I realised I might not make it that long. I did however! Instead of socks I got meself an X for me birthday: ex demo 2.5SE auto. I kept her up until 2014 when I got a company car.
When I started the run to retirement I changed jobs and needed a cheap comfy commuter, another X, now a Sov diesel. Was going to be shortish term, but still purring on after four and a bit years, and 40-odd k miles, albeit with some spannering and banging. And swearing.

Enjoy your trips 😎 and hope all goes well 👍

·
Premium Member
17,880 Posts
Been a while so I'll give it an upbeat entry. After some love and care Ol Bic is looking really shiny. I'll get to that later. Only downspot is a seagull gave it a good stomp on the roof and scratched it a small bit. Should polish out when I buy my DA polisher in a few weeks. Had to delay buying it, forked out for a ton of coal and a holiday. My poor wallet hurts.
Took it on holiday last week, what a nice drive. Only 250 miles each way but was a pleasure to do. Those soft Pirelli tyres I put on really gives it a gliding feel. Can feel the road but what a nice, pleasant bounce it has. I must remember to take some nice location pictures when I'm out and about next.
Anyway about the shiny car, 3 people commented on the colour and especially the shine while I was away. Bloke next to me in the services was in a BMW 520 exactly the same as I used to have same colour, that gun metal shade, that looks nice but never really shines, but he was all over the Jag. Dunno what it is about these cars it seems everyone likes a jag. I've had many different makes of cars before. My favourite before this was a 1974 MK1 Ford Granada but no one actually commented on the look of one before. I did get oh you got a beamer once but that was it. I suppose I'll have to blush hold my head high and get used to it now.
Superb, great news, so glad you're enjoying her and all is well.

They're also a thing of beauty, love the lines and nice that you're got the compliments flooding in, feel good factor off the charts lol

Some decent pics when you can to back all this up would be nice though ;)

Well George, after a shaky start I’m glad you’re enjoying your ownership! I, like you, always promised meself a Jaaaaag when I retired. After serious illness in 2004 I realised I might not make it that long. I did however! Instead of socks I got meself an X for me birthday: ex demo 2.5SE auto. I kept her up until 2014 when I got a company car.
When I started the run to retirement I changed jobs and needed a cheap comfy commuter, another X, now a Sov diesel. Was going to be shortish term, but still purring on after four and a bit years, and 40-odd k miles, albeit with some spannering and banging. And swearing.

Enjoy your trips 😎 and hope all goes well 👍
Between John above and other owners, you'll get plenty of encouragement and help here too George

Jim

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Superb, great news, so glad you're enjoying her and all is well.

They're also a thing of beauty, love the lines and nice that you're got the compliments flooding in, feel good factor off the charts lol

Some decent pics when you can to back all this up would be nice though ;)

Between John above and other owners, you'll get plenty of encouragement and help here too George

Jim
Ok Jim here's a few. Yep must admit now it's all fixed and my new car anxiety has gone, I'm loving it. Sounds like a tractor but every diesel I've had was the same so I'm not fussed. I can't hear it inside :)
More pics will be added as I go along with the jobs. Small jobs. I'm definitely no mechanic.
I want some nice pictures with scenery I'm surrounded by scenery here but haven't taken many shots aside from the one in my drive next to my van. I'll remedy that as I go.
I must admit it is a bit of a stunner and I keep it shining like this all the time.
The interior picture was the one from autotrader, Obviously I don't drive around with paper car mats. and I've polished up the headlights since these shots were taken.

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle White

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Window

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Premium Member
17,880 Posts
Nice one LG, glad you're enjoying her

We must've had 6 or 7 X types, plus the one I talked my mate into ( which he loved ) all very enjoyable

Hope you continue to enjoy yours for a while yet

Jim

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Blimey the forums been busy while I've been away buried here in page 2.
So anyhow, trips were looming and with confidence I turned the key for the long one. Armed with my 80s disco music, some begees a tub full of ham and pickle sandwiches and 2 cans Irn Bru the run began.

Ok every car I've had is allowed one and only one breakdown that leaves me stranded. Well glad to say wasn't the case here, what a motorway muncher it glided along the M8 M6 M1 like they weren't there.
Got to Manchester way and thought ohh no Shes losing power, what I didn't realise was that I've been happily driving away for almost 7 hours and lost all feeling in my right foot. The time just flew by. In the BM I would have stopped twice by now to rub the pain in my lower back. Ahh see why I only took only 2 cans Irn Bru, less pitstops even in my advancing years.
Got to the boonies down south and it was getting dark so I slapped on the headlights for the first time in real use. Well looks like the previous owner put better bulbs in, no complaints along the country lanes on dipped. I slapped on the main headlights no kidding it was like aircraft landing lights, well happy.
Clarkson would have been proud. With no cars for miles It was doing all the curly bits with not even a hint of under or oversteer.
No photos of the trip this time but will be doing it again in a couple of weeks.
It averaged by the clock 56.1 mpg. Average speed read 60mph Really thought I would see that mythical 60mpg at one point. Maybee if I went a tad slower on the Motorways might have happened, I was doing 70 ish ;) most of the way.
I'll try next time.

Sum it all up
What a car!! Good on ya Bic.

Gauge Speedometer Vehicle Measuring instrument Trip computer

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
George, in the light of your new-found delight in your Jaaaaag, may I suggest a name change from disposable Bic: these last virtually forever with correct maintenance and care.

Straight razor (correct term, rather than ‘cut-throat) not quite as snappy admittedly….. 😜
Tool Wood Knife Handle Blade

·
Premium Member
17,880 Posts
Blimey the forums been busy while I've been away buried here in page 2.
So anyhow, trips were looming and with confidence I turned the key for the long one. Armed with my 80s disco music, some begees a tub full of ham and pickle sandwiches and 2 cans Irn Bru the run began.

Ok every car I've had is allowed one and only one breakdown that leaves me stranded. Well glad to say wasn't the case here, what a motorway muncher it glided along the M8 M6 M1 like they weren't there.
Got to Manchester way and thought ohh no Shes losing power, what I didn't realise was that I've been happily driving away for almost 7 hours and lost all feeling in my right foot. The time just flew by. In the BM I would have stopped twice by now to rub the pain in my lower back. Ahh see why I only took only 2 cans Irn Bru, less pitstops even in my advancing years.
Got to the boonies down south and it was getting dark so I slapped on the headlights for the first time in real use. Well looks like the previous owner put better bulbs in, no complaints along the country lanes on dipped. I slapped on the main headlights no kidding it was like aircraft landing lights, well happy.
Clarkson would have been proud. With no cars for miles It was doing all the curly bits with not even a hint of under or oversteer.
No photos of the trip this time but will be doing it again in a couple of weeks.
It averaged by the clock 56.1 mpg. Average speed read 60mph Really thought I would see that mythical 60mpg at one point. Maybee if I went a tad slower on the Motorways might have happened, I was doing 70 ish ;) most of the way.
I'll try next time.

Sum it all up
What a car!! Good on ya Bic.

View attachment 56138
Roadtrip!!!!

Sounds like an enjoyable drive, and fair play on the Irn Bru...........made fae girders lol

Looks like you're falling in love with her just a wee bit more day by day

Jim

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Roadtrip!!!!

Sounds like an enjoyable drive, and fair play on the Irn Bru...........made fae girders lol

Jim
😁

Showing your age there Jim..

Oh, Bu99er!!!... :(

• Haha

·
Premium Member
17,880 Posts
😁

Showing your age there Jim..
Oh, Bu99er!!!... :(
As old as my tongue and a wee bit old than my teeth lol

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: PetA

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Summer of 1956 for me. Main disadvantage: it takes ages to scroll down to year of birth online….. there may be a few more…….
Smile Photograph Black Gesture Black-and-white

Prime-time childhood entertainment…..

• Haha

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Wife says call the car Nikky Jaguar First letters of the reg so might do that.

Roadtrip!!!!

Jim
Yeah sure seems that way Jim. Was a good first long run. And my fave Irn Bru advert is when the drinks machine nuts the guy. Well funny
Summer of 1956 for me. Main disadvantage: it takes ages to scroll down to year of birth online….. there may be a few more…….
View attachment 56176
Prime-time childhood entertainment…..
I'm a child of 63 We were more advanced on the stings by then. Thunderbirds. yay.
Hairstyle Facial expression Interior design Toy Curtain

Reactions: JohnW and JimC64

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Bit of an additional here. Cars a keeper for sure so finally bought that DA polisher, This one, windscreen scratches first then the mop over all of ol Nick with the poor boys for extra shine. Get it all buffed up for winter.
Hoping it stays dry some days in October

• Love

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
As I’ve noted before, #1 Son gave mine a proper going over with his DA and a variety of Autoglym potions and condiments: three doses one after the other if I recall. He must get his patience from his mother……

That was July for the Lancaster photo op, and the car still comes up a treat with my lazy bloke quick bucket and sponge wash. Have to do it meself now as my local hand car wash turned into a car lot! At least I’m saving a few quid in these harsh times!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
As I’ve noted before, #1 Son gave mine a proper going over with his DA and a variety of Autoglym potions and condiments: three doses one after the other if I recall. He must get his patience from his mother……

That was July for the Lancaster photo op, and the car still comes up a treat with my lazy bloke quick bucket and sponge wash. Have to do it meself now as my local hand car wash turned into a car lot! At least I’m saving a few quid in these harsh times!
Lazy bucket and sponge eek. I'm George 2 buckets armed with that expensive autoglym wash that makes my car smell like a watermelon when you walk past. Gets a nice towel dry and pamper once a week, and to think I was going to dump it 4 months ago.
And just bought these. John got in first, but they look well nice on his so, done. Chrome window trim
Yeah you can obviously see my credit card has recovered after my holiday.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts