Jaguar Forum banner
741 - 760 of 814 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
11,695 Posts
Yeah know what you mean in principle, but a lot of water under the bridge and he had absolutely no involvement in the break up.
I sort of assumed that he was a friend, and there is nothing that comes between friends quicker than an argument over something that one of you paid for. Even when it didn't involve money.

Not having friends, I can't validate this assumption either.

·
Premium Member
16,584 Posts
Collecting my daughter from her mums the other day got chatting to my exes new husband. He's a tidy guy and we share a few interests.

He had a VW transporter on the drive and I asked if it was his, and he replied no just finished a spray job on it at his unit and waiting for it to be collected.

I sort of knew he did some sort of spraying but assumed on industrial buildings etc.
He does both but did his trade in cars and now bought a car unit. Anyway out comes his phone and a few of the jobs he has done, all looked very good.

I promptly diverted him to look at my battered alloys, kerbed one again a beauty on Wedndsday pushing out of a junction from some ditherer going opposite way.

He doesn't do powder coating per se, and admitted that has more longevity but the base layers and number of lacquer coats he does on alloys said would get 5years out of them easy. He wasn't trying to push a bit of business my way but said he could do all four wheels for me over a weekend for 250 and refurb the damage.

For that price I'm kind of minded to go with it. Can match any colour with RAL swatch etc. He didn't go into the process in great detail but did stress they put a lot of prep into it and he has done it on many of his own cars with good results long term.
That's a decent price Andrew, normally around £350 maybe more for 20" wheels

When he said price I was thinking "that's a bit steep per corner".... but yes good price.

Have to scan some threads to look at shades. Steve had his done fairly recently I think? And poss Jim?
Yes, Steve and I were very similar, it was shadow chrome for me and quite happy all things considered.
Pity I'm not closer to you. He could do mine for that price. (They badly need doing). I've been quoted over £100 per corner to have mine re-cut.
John, that's not a bad price, IF you're having them diamond cut again, some of the people charge nearly twice that for diamond cut jobs

I'm sure you're well in the know, but as a rule diamond cut once and never again, so they reckon as it alters the structural integrity of the wheel. Its the reason I went down the route of having them painted. Diamond cuts look great, but just don't last, tiniest of water ingress through a chop etc and they're pretty much done for

Jim

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #746 ·
Int
I don't think I would powder coat mine again. The wet paint is a better finish and they have a few stone chips that are more noticeable.
Interesting. I have no idea to be honest.

He does a lot of work on V dubs including kitting out the campers so sure his work is high end. He did try saying the way they coat alloys gives a lot of protection within reason.

Then brought out of his bag about three swatch packs for paint coatings.

He also told me to flip my calipers from the sky blue (which I thought complimented my body colour) to a red. I do like a red caliper but always preferred the mid/sky blue.

Since he has mentioned it tho I'm looking at then and wondering! He has said that obviously needs to be done with caliper paint rather than the general spray.

Reactions: Ruby351 and JimC64

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
11,695 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #750 ·
I did note one or two champagne/gold caliper colours at Crewe so your message must be getting through, in part

·
Premium Member
16,584 Posts
I did note one or two champagne/gold caliper colours at Crewe so your message must be getting through, in part
That just means they're standard and left as is Andrew.

I never understood why the gold colour calipers, the silver would've looked better, unsure why Jaguar did that?

Somebody somewhere must've thought it was a good idea

Jim

Reactions: mac_doctor

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
11,695 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #753 ·
Taking my brother and his wife to a wedding tomorrow in the car.

More as a means to save on a taxi, but gave it a light wash today to remove the weeks old saharan dust.

·
Premium Member
16,584 Posts

More as a means to save on a taxi, but gave it a light wash today to remove the weeks old saharan dust.
Quite a nice taxi all the same.

Are you part of the nuptials too or just a bout of chauffeuring?

Jim

Reactions: WelshBoa

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
11,695 Posts
Quite a nice taxi all the same.

Are you part of the nuptials too or just a bout of chauffeuring?

Jim
I think even in Wales marriages are still between two people, Jim.

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,057 Posts

Nice little number for your bros and his lady turning up in a shiny Jag then, kind of you to offer your services and good reason to get that dust off the paintwork again,

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #759 ·
And let's face it, what owner of an X351 would pass up the chance to show it off? 😎
Agreed, and even if not super sparkly clean still carries that presence compared to ordinary car going folk

741 - 760 of 814 Posts