Jaguar Forum banner
781 - 800 of 814 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
Hi Ian sorry for late response I did consider it but think even with discount still cheaper at Indy.

In process of moving house, everything up in air combined with regular commutes to Bristol.

Service booked in for 8th in Swansea at Mister Matic (when I will have moved to Bristol) but couldn't find a decent quote in Bristol.

Will rent a desk/office in Swansea and drop car off for the day as they will give me a little hire car/van.

MOT booked in for same time. Had a little concern over legality of front tyres. Decent treat on main areas but looked borderline on edges.

Called in and asked them to do a quick check as would pick them up in advance or have them delivered there if so.

All ok, suggested doing an alignment on the day tho. The tyres were all replaced on purchase with Nexus, not sure what mileage I've done but they've held up quite well. Lots of motorway miles but then also lots of city centre driving too

Hopefully will be a relatively painless MOT. With the service not sure whether to ask them to be mindful of how much oil they replace with. Mine is still showing as full since last year, and whilst Euro 5 does make me worry.

Once I've moved will buy the kit I keep promising to buy and do an in-betweeny service and then when warranty goes do it all myself.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·

Just ticked over 6000 miles on my new clocks!

Been busy moving house last two days. I know we all know it anyway, but even driving a brand new van for a couple of hundred miles on a motorway you realise how comfortable an XJ is.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts

Been busy moving house last two days. I know we all know it anyway, but even driving a brand new van for a couple of hundred miles on a motorway you realise how comfortable an XJ is.
Absolutely, it's always good to drive something else to really appreciate how good the XJ is.

·
Premium Member
16,585 Posts

Happy house move Andrew, and yes, nothing like driving something else to make you appreciate the XJ

Jim

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,057 Posts

A lot on your plate then with the move and all and I know you have said in the past that this has been somewhat of a past-time of yours, but still a stressful business at the best of times, so I hope it has gone pretty much pain sailing for you and that settling in will be a breeze.

Good planning and forward thinking to get your Jag booked in for the MOT, service and tyre business, one thing less to think about while sorting out your new place (y)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·
A lot on your plate then with the move and all and I know you have said in the past that this has been somewhat of a past-time of yours, but still a stressful business at the best of times, so I hope it has gone pretty much pain sailing for you and that settling in will be a breeze.

Good planning and forward thinking to get your Jag booked in for the MOT, service and tyre business, one thing less to think about while sorting out your new place (y)
I had secured a decent quote to move, but as I began selling off quite a few large items of furniture (and fish tanks) as moving in with girlfriend, myself and son decided to do it ourselves and shave about 300 quid off the cost less a van hire.

It was hard going even tho pretty organised. Find it's the last dregs of stuff that take the time, trying to take stuff to tip in car as won't accept vans etc etc.

All done tho now. Back in God's Country Monday morning for the MOT and service. First day back from leave too so hopefully the remote desk I've booked to log in from doesn't let me down 🤪

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #788 ·
Got away with a LWB van and two main trips. Most of my stuff went into storage 3 miles down the road, but yes if doing mileage be much more economical.

It's one of those occupations you take your hat off too, all comes with experience but the way they get stuff done and loaded an art (when you use them)!

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
11,695 Posts
I don't mind the loading/ unloading and driving, the bit I hate with a passion is the packing. Putting stuff designed to be as awkward as possible into some sort of container to be moved (and probably broken) is the devil's own work.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #790 ·
I don't mind the loading/ unloading and driving, the bit I hate with a passion is the packing. Putting stuff designed to be as awkward as possible into some sort of container to be moved (and probably broken) is the devil's own work.
Can't disagree with you there either.....

And may I add to the list "putting that item in a safe box" that you only find three years after eventually replacing it from giving up

·
Premium Member
16,585 Posts
Can't disagree with you there either.....

And may I add to the list "putting that item in a safe box" that you only find three years after eventually replacing it from giving up
Ahhhh THAT safe place, the one that's so safe you can never find it again lol

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
I had secured a decent quote to move, but as I began selling off quite a few large items of furniture (and fish tanks) as moving in with girlfriend, myself and son decided to do it ourselves and shave about 300 quid off the cost less a van hire.

It was hard going even tho pretty organised. Find it's the last dregs of stuff that take the time, trying to take stuff to tip in car as won't accept vans etc etc.

All done tho now. Back in God's Country Monday morning for the MOT and service. First day back from leave too so hopefully the remote desk I've booked to log in from doesn't let me down 🤪
We always did our own moves - friends and family alike and would help each other out, idea being to save as many pennies as possible, but like you say it is definitely hard going and takes much longer than you think. The last move for us was a resounding NO! Absolutely not this time, we got some gents in, with their own small firm and not the big boys and girls like Pickfords etc. who by the way gave us a ludicrous quote. The chaps we had could not have been more helpful and went overboard to be obliging ... superb! We were also fortunate to have a Nissan Primaster SWB van at the time and hired a storage container so we could make a few trips ourselves with the 'fragile' and awkward stuff and I can tell you, that was bad enough.

The people buying our house were flaming nutters, so with regards to the packing, we had plenty of time given their fun and games. One story that might amuse you, although I don't think it will be as much as it did us; prior to putting the place on the market we had a large single story extension built across the back, including and extending the garage which was made into a bedroom, new shower/bath room, kitchen/diner/lounge etc. We bought a Range after the extension was completed and got the electrician back in to fit it, but he said it would cost us another £500 to rewire given the Range was all singing and dancing and the electrics were only suitable for a normal cooker so would need to be upgraded.

Then we decided to move back to my home town and the couple that wanted to buy our place were shall we say, some what awkward and I could write a thesis on the trouble and unnecessary nit-picking they did with the final straw being just before I put my fist through the estate agents table, well not quite, but I did make her sit back in her chair and could see her white knuckles when I raised my voice - did I ever tell you I was into amateur dramatics and know how to throw my voice? Well this little drama was as a result of her asking if they could come around again to measure for curtains and I'm sure by now you get the idea of what I said as my reply.

When they first came around to see our property and went from room to room it was will you be leaving this, that and the other and eventually it came to our brand new, never been used Range, to which we played up a little and eventually agreed that we would. So the best bit for us was when we left our old house, now as you know I am a person that has an inherent sense of fair play together with the good teachings of my parents while growing up, but I have to say that I got an inordinate amount of pleasure from thinking about the the first time those folks went to use that Range and found out that it wasn't wired in and it may not be divine intervention, but it sure is a little bit of pay back for what they put us through. Anyway, if they didn't want to wire it in themselves, they could always sell the darn thing :rolleyes:

Hope you all have a great weekend and that Monday works out fine and dandy (y);)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 ·
MOT test passed with a few advisories and major service done £404.20 all in.

They managed to get a screw in my wheel whilst reversing it out. Local tyre place didn't have repair glue to hand so replaced the tyre free of charge. Probably need to get the other front replaced ASAP.

Front discs and pads all round on the horizon too...

·
Premium Member
16,585 Posts

They managed to get a screw in my wheel whilst reversing it out. Local tyre place didn't have repair glue to hand so replaced the tyre free of charge. Probably need to get the other front replaced ASAP.

That sounds like a win Andrew, assuming the advisories are nothing too expensive to resolve at some point moving forward.

A new tyre too, F.O.C. assuming its a decent brand?

Makes sense to replace the other so they're both on good tread

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts

Well that's pretty good news over all, 12 month MOT, good service under your belt and a bit of time to catch your breath after the move and all, before you think about getting the advisories looked into.

I agree with Jim about the other front wheel and as you say to getting it replaced, for me I like to have even-stevens as near as d*m it on the axles.

Bit of a sting though about the brakes, but again, at least you have some time to chuck some pennies in your whisky bottle to spread the cost (y);)

Reactions: #steve

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #796 ·
It's a cheap tyre unfortunately Jim a Comforser but I didn't have much say in it (rightly or wrongly).

I'm not gonna swap it out now as seems a little pointless but may put a similar tyre on the opposite side and give them a few thousand miles.

Need to find a decent garage locally here to just ping on pads and discs, needn't be a jag Indy but will want some say on what goes on brand wise

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
Isn't a diagnostic machine required also or a wind back tool or something?

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Isn't a diagnostic machine required also or a wind back tool or something?
That’s only for the rears of the earlier models, the newer ones can be done with a maintenance setting.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
Mines a 2014 so not sure if same applies. To be honest I'd love to have a crack at changing but prefer it to be under some supervision first time or two.... especially for brakes of all things.

781 - 800 of 814 Posts