Jaguar Forum banner
881 - 900 of 941 Posts

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,603 Posts
Hope your dad does well and isn’t in hospital too long.

· Registered
2017, Jaguar XJ
283 Posts
FC is organising a trip to see the Millau Bridge, Mohne Dam (Dambusters fame), Stelvio pass and some other military stuff.

Up to now FC, Rich and myself are going.

Should be a good Jagging trip.
I have been dreaming of driving over the Millau Bridge... I would love to drive on the Stelvio pass as well... That is going to be one heck of a road trip :)

· Registered
2017, Jaguar XJ
283 Posts
Had to make a journey back to Swansea today. Dad been in hospital over Xmas with pneumonia and the flu.

I know there are idiots on the road 365 days of the year but today really cheesed me off. M4 was quite light traffic wise but from Bristol I think I had already encountered 5 serious middle lane plodders by Newport.

Don't normally react all that much but flash of the headlights and then a toot of horn as had to use outside lane didn't even rouse any awareness in any of them.

Then had a really hairy moment where I thought I may be joining my old man in hospital. Another middle lane hogger but a car in front of me as a buffer. The plodder eventually moved into left hand lane, then as I overtook car in front of me decided to move back into middle lane forcing the other car to swerve into my lane. Had to slam on and in fairness he corrected himself as soon as he could. The idiot who caused the issue also oblivious. Swear half of them today had been on too much sherry.

Rant over but dad ok and fairly chatty and car didn't miss a beat there or back.
All the best for your dad!

· Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
13,294 Posts

· Registered
2017, Jaguar XJ
283 Posts
Your very welcome to join us, the only thing you will need is a touch of madness 😛
I am very tempted :)
Unfortunately I will have some work abroad this year (I mean 2023) and have to set aside some leave for things related to my son... This does not leave me with much room for a road trip but it is on my bucket list to arrange for a future date!

· Registered
7,698 Posts
I am very tempted :)
Unfortunately I will have some work abroad this year (I mean 2023) and have to set aside some leave for things related to my son... This does not leave me with much room for a road trip but it is on my bucket list to arrange for a future date!
Just keep your eye on the Events section of the forum, there is quite a lot going on in the UK. Lots of one day meetings.

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #889 ·
My older brother made the longer trip yesterday from Torquay to Swansea to visit old man and stayed overnight in South Wales.

We arranged to meet up in Bristol today on his way back for a spot of food and for the kids to meet up, with his birthday also being yesterday. I can't remember when we last caught up and wasn't sure if he had seen the XJ before.

Arrived before him and had a nice catch up and food. On the way out he followed me over to the car to pick up some stuff for kids etc.

"Nicest car in the car park by far" he proceeded to say as I naturally played it down a little. He then said the kids still talked about the time they got in the car last year and had leg room and TVs in the back.

Had forgotten about a quick fire trip down there but made me smile how they still talked about it. Funny little things.

Incidentally as an older brother (46) he has only been driving for around 4 years but did say whilst he has a brand new Ford he is looking at buying a slightly older "luxury" car.

All I could add was that's something I've always done, from my trusty A4 to an x type and this xj to an extent which is probably my newest oldest luxury car.

· Premium Member
19,034 Posts
My older brother made the longer trip yesterday from Torquay to Swansea to visit old man and stayed overnight in South Wales.

We arranged to meet up in Bristol today on his way back for a spot of food and for the kids to meet up, with his birthday also being yesterday. I can't remember when we last caught up and wasn't sure if he had seen the XJ before.

Arrived before him and had a nice catch up and food. On the way out he followed me over to the car to pick up some stuff for kids etc.

"Nicest car in the car park by far" he proceeded to say as I naturally played it down a little. He then said the kids still talked about the time they got in the car last year and had leg room and TVs in the back.

Had forgotten about a quick fire trip down there but made me smile how they still talked about it. Funny little things.

Incidentally as an older brother (46) he has only been driving for around 4 years but did say whilst he has a brand new Ford he is looking at buying a slightly older "luxury" car.

All I could add was that's something I've always done, from my trusty A4 to an x type and this xj to an extent which is probably my newest oldest luxury car.
Sounds like a great day Andrew, nice family catch up with brother, kids / food and a bit of a run

A little kudos for the car too and the kids with a few related memories

Doesn't really get much better

Jim

· Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
4,787 Posts

Nice little catch up there Andrew and high praise indeed, made all the more sweeter with it coming from your BIG brother I'm sure (y)

Reactions: JimC64

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #894 ·
all the best for your dad Andrew.
any expectations when he can go home again?
He came out late yesterday afternoon which was good news! Think his dog didn't expect to see him again!

· Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
4,787 Posts
He came out late yesterday afternoon which was good news! Think his dog didn't expect to see him again!
Great news Andrew and I bet his bestest pal's tail didn't stop wagging

Reactions: WelshBoa

· Premium Member
19,034 Posts

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,603 Posts
Great to hear your dads out of hospital, hope the dog gets over the excitement! lol

· Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
13,294 Posts
Great to hear your dads out of hospital, hope the dog gets over the excitement! lol
Dogs never get over their excitement. It is part of being a dog.

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #899 ·
I spoke a few pages back about getting my wheels refurbished which are long overdue. Put it off for winter in any a case.

Coming out of a t junction of M&S side of cribbs causeway retail park so still within the car parking area... admittedly I wasn't concentrating 100% as the windows needed a demist, but managed when turning right to hit the kerb on opposite side of road.

Made a nice scraping noise and gave me a jolt. So annoying and still not sure how I managed it but do wonder if it's worth me even refurbish them! I'd feel some pain from that scrape.

· Registered
328 Posts
I spoke a few pages back about getting my wheels refurbished which are long overdue. Put it off for winter in any a case.

Coming out of a t junction of M&S side of cribbs causeway retail park so still within the car parking area... admittedly I wasn't concentrating 100% as the windows needed a demist, but managed when turning right to hit the kerb on opposite side of road.

Made a nice scraping noise and gave me a jolt. So annoying and still not sure how I managed it but do wonder if it's worth me even refurbish them! I'd feel some pain from that scrape.
Yup, that horrible noise!
I took the plunge and had all my wheels refurbed last August. They look lovely (when the car is relatively clean!), but it has made me paranoid when I am driving near any potential hazards. A particularly narrow and old fashioned multi-storey car park presented a real challenge not long ago and I was mightily relieved when we emerged unscraped !😮😁

881 - 900 of 941 Posts