Jaguar Forum banner
901 - 920 of 941 Posts

· Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
4,787 Posts
Yup, that horrible noise!
I took the plunge and had all my wheels refurbed last August. They look lovely (when the car is relatively clean!), but it has made me paranoid when I am driving near any potential hazards. A particularly narrow and old fashioned multi-storey car park presented a real challenge not long ago and I was mightily relieved when we emerged unscraped !😮😁
Owwww I can feel your blood pressure rising and best keep out of that car park Angus ;) I can't make my mind up, does this make you a more or less careful driver I wonder? :unsure:

This one I can relate to, as with anything 'new' it is very, VERY precious and cosseted as though there is never going to be another like it or able to replace it. After some time though, the gilt loses it's shine and the gold becomes brass and treated like any other old possession. The same applies with your car when you have a first ding, dent or perhaps scrape on the 'new' alloy, ahhhhh there is a cure of sorts though, as time makes all things fade and a little easier to digest, that's how I see things anyway ;)

If not, you fix things up yourself or just hand over the dosh and get things fixed for you, like you did with your shiny new alloys..

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I spoke a few pages back about getting my wheels refurbished which are long overdue. Put it off for winter in any a case.

Coming out of a t junction of M&S side of cribbs causeway retail park so still within the car parking area... admittedly I wasn't concentrating 100% as the windows needed a demist, but managed when turning right to hit the kerb on opposite side of road.

Made a nice scraping noise and gave me a jolt. So annoying and still not sure how I managed it but do wonder if it's worth me even refurbish them! I'd feel some pain from that scrape.
Hey Andrew, no problemo, you should have a big old smile on your face, as you didn't get the wheels done so what are you worrying about matey?

Cartoon Happy Pink Font Art

Scrape away old fruit, and when the summer comes round and you feel ready for a refurb, that's the time to do it - then like seagull you will take a bit more care once you have splashed the cash, I'm sure. (y)

See the source image

· Premium Member
19,042 Posts
Yup, that horrible noise!
I took the plunge and had all my wheels refurbed last August. They look lovely (when the car is relatively clean!), but it has made me paranoid when I am driving near any potential hazards. A particularly narrow and old fashioned multi-storey car park presented a real challenge not long ago and I was mightily relieved when we emerged unscraped !😮😁
Love freshly refurbed wheels, who doesn't?

As for the multi storey Angus?? I can relate.....

I think I may have been in that position you mention maybe once and you describe it well lol. I too emerged unscathed, and could probably replicate that a dozen times or more quite easily, but.....Its the ONE time that gets you that's the killer lol

Jim

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #904 ·
Completing on a house purchase tomorrow, moving back to God's Country 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

New job starting at end of Jan so a little bit of time to sort things out, although still working in Bristol till end of month.

Main move taking place on Saturday, but loading up some gear to take down tomorrow when I collect keys, bits and pieces as most of my stuff still in storage in Swansea whilst I'm in Bristol. Kettle, cleaning products, clothes etc!

Boot not huge but surprising what you can cram in as well as back footwells and seats.

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts

New job starting at end of Jan so a little bit of time to sort things out, although still working in Bristol till end of month.

Main move taking place on Saturday, but loading up some gear to take down tomorrow when I collect keys, bits and pieces as most of my stuff still in storage in Swansea whilst I'm in Bristol. Kettle, cleaning products, clothes etc!

Boot not huge but surprising what you can cram in as well as back footwells and seats.
Hey Andrew, hope the move goes well and that you will be happy in your new abode. New job too, crickey, you don't do anything by half, but at least you should be settled in by then, so can concentrate on your new role without too many packing boxes all around..

Best of luck and I bet you are mighty chuffed to be back over that bridge ... king and his castle and all that (y);)

Cloud Travel Sky Bird Landscape

· Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
13,294 Posts

· Premium Member
19,042 Posts

Nice one Andrew, hope all goes well.

Jim

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,603 Posts
Good luck with the move, hope all goes well for you.

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #910 ·
Collected keys today and called to house just to drop off the few bits. The driveway is on a slight incline, and due to the cul de sac not the easiest to turn into.

Not actually sure if the XJs width will fit through the opening on block work pillars. I didn't want to risk a scratch today so parked on roadside.

1980s construction so possibly cars not as wide then. I'll wait till I have a banksman I think! Also concerned may scrape or ground so best left today!

Old boy next door a bit of a character. Came out and introduced himself. In his 70s I imagine. Could see he was giving car once up and down.

When I was leaving he reappeared in his driveway and asked me if I wanted a push start lol.

Suspect we will either get on very well or could fail miserably within a few weeks 😆

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Collected keys today and called to house just to drop off the few bits. The driveway is on a slight incline, and due to the cul de sac not the easiest to turn into.

Not actually sure if the XJs width will fit through the opening on block work pillars. I didn't want to risk a scratch today so parked on roadside.

1980s construction so possibly cars not as wide then. I'll wait till I have a banksman I think! Also concerned may scrape or ground so best left today!

Old boy next door a bit of a character. Came out and introduced himself. In his 70s I imagine. Could see he was giving car once up and down.

When I was leaving he reappeared in his driveway and asked me if I wanted a push start lol.

Suspect we will either get on very well or could fail miserably within a few weeks 😆
Nice one and there is nothing quite like getting those keys in your hand, driving to your new place and walking through the front door, knowing it is yours and all the angst of getting there is over.

Very wise to way things up ... the size of the opening for your Jag AND your neighbour ... too friendly is not always a good sign as you have already worked out.

One of the first things we did on moving into where we are now was to take down one gate pier, although the opening was already pretty wide to begin with, it just made things that bit easier when it came to shuffling the vehicles around. We got a quote for £1K, said we would think about it as it sounded a bit steep. I came home one day and the pier was almost down with Anita wielding our big angle grinder/cutter and my brother-in-law helping her shifting the red bricks to one side. My job was then to make good the end by rebuilding it up to try to make it look half decent with the bricks taken out - cost - just the mortar (y):D

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #912 ·
Yes, my mate who manages a civils company already offered to remove a pier and build back. Think its a wise choice as even if it does "fit" it will be a risk each and every time!

Reactions: Ruby351

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #915 ·
So I made some comment on another thread on here about how crap my headlights appeared to be - the thread was talking about bulb changes.

As a 2014 car I just assumed they were due a change. However on defrosting car this morning noticed a headlight blink out.

This sort of correlated with me noticing light appear to go brighter and then off but assumed it was the directional headlights as I was turning corners etc.

I always assumed sealed light but assume that's the rears only, and bulbs can be changed?

I guess this wouldn't be an extended warranty issue unless it's a wiring fault as said headlight did come back on temporarily.

May give warranty company a call bur thought I'd check here first re bulb change

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #916 ·
And just testing lights from remote fob again they are both on so odd....

• Wow
Reactions: mac_doctor

· Premium Member
25,881 Posts
And just testing lights from remote fob again they are both on so odd....
May be worth checking the connector for signs of moisture.

· Premium Member
19,042 Posts
So I made some comment on another thread on here about how crap my headlights appeared to be - the thread was talking about bulb changes.

As a 2014 car I just assumed they were due a change. However on defrosting car this morning noticed a headlight blink out.

This sort of correlated with me noticing light appear to go brighter and then off but assumed it was the directional headlights as I was turning corners etc.

I always assumed sealed light but assume that's the rears only, and bulbs can be changed?

I guess this wouldn't be an extended warranty issue unless it's a wiring fault as said headlight did come back on temporarily.

May give warranty company a call bur thought I'd check here first re bulb change

If you still have warranty Andrew, ask the question

Jim

901 - 920 of 941 Posts