Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd create a thread to document the fun and games I'm likely to have over the next few years with an XE.

My name is TheBoy, and a few of you may recognise me from the x351 section.

Mrs TheBoy has got herself a base model XE, so brace yourself for a barrage of stupid questions!

I tend to DIY most things on the car.

Filters and oil ordered - different oil to the XJ, grrrr. That means I have to store both types. I've checked that I have enough different size tubing to be able to connect my 12v oil pump to the dipstick tube. So as soon as the stuff arrives, I should be good to go :)

Suppose I'd better get some Adblue. Is the stuff Screwfix sells OK - looks like it meets the spec? Also, how do you guys pour it in? Funnel? Other contraptions?

Cheers, and look forward to the usual banter with you all over the coming years.

·
Premium Member
2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 88K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats
6,289 Posts
(y)(y)(y) I'm sure she'll love the XE... every one I know that has one or has had one absolutely loves them. My neighbour, a lifetime BMW owner, bought an XE last year and loves it "Best car he's owned", he says.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
About the AdBlue, i've added the AdBlue twice since buying my XF which will be 3years come September.
I don't completely fill the DEF tank which holds17 litres on the XF( because adding small amounts keeps the liquid fresh as they reckon it can deteriorate in about 2 year's ).
For peace of mind I bought 3 bottles at = 1.89 litres each ( 1/2 a gallon )from the local Jaguar dealer because the containers screw on, and filling is easy peasy and no chance off any contamination or spillage.
I've just added the 2 bottles ( 3.78 litres/ 2 gallons )and adding this amount showed that the mileage had increased from 4,536 to 8,326 miles so the amount added increased the mileage by 3,790 miles.
Buying from the dealer is certainly more expensive and it's not only fuel that's increasing in price as i bought 2 bottles the other day and cost about the same as the 3 bottles bought previously.
I know some member's will tell you to buy from Screwfix or toolstation but you don't know how long they've had it , and certainly never buy from a filling station if it's sitting in the sun.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What year is the car? I unfortunately have been a previous owner of a 2015 R-Sport. Anything pre - 19 which that looks it may be are prone to numerous problems, so it will certainly keep you entertained. If it has done anywhere near or past 60K miles, and the timing chain hasn't been done, then there is your fist job as a matter of urgency.

With the adblue, as above, use smaller amounts more often, the injectors can be prone to getting clogged. I would also only use adblue kept in a sore, not in sunlight as advised above.

I am sure it will be ok, as you obviously look after your cars, and completing the all important oil change once taking ownership. On the oil front, it is gold plated stuff you need a mortgage for...:giggle:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a very early one. Can't hear any chain noises so not overly concerned about that. That was the main thing I was listening for when we bought it. It will get around 3k oil changes, hence it will just be stuff that meets the spec (assuming I don't notice any other issues with it) rather than gold leaf flavoured stuff. No idea if the chain has been done previously, as I reckon I don't have all the history on it... ...not that I take a lot of notice on history anyway, as dealers in particular frequently do not do what they claim they have.

Thanks for the hints on Adblue, I am unlikely to be buying any from a dealer, and I picked ShitFix as that is all we had in this town that would sell it, bar Tesco filling station. Granted, I could pick some up when out and about, but I know I'll forget.

So with the Adblue, could I pour from a 10l container into the tank with a funnel, or does it really need some sort of fancy adapter.

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts
I thought I'd create a thread to document the fun and games I'm likely to have over the next few years with an XE.

My name is TheBoy, and a few of you may recognise me from the x351 section.

Mrs TheBoy has got herself a base model XE, so brace yourself for a barrage of stupid questions!

I tend to DIY most things on the car.

Filters and oil ordered - different oil to the XJ, grrrr. That means I have to store both types. I've checked that I have enough different size tubing to be able to connect my 12v oil pump to the dipstick tube. So as soon as the stuff arrives, I should be good to go :)

Suppose I'd better get some Adblue. Is the stuff Screwfix sells OK - looks like it meets the spec? Also, how do you guys pour it in? Funnel? Other contraptions?

Cheers, and look forward to the usual banter with you all over the coming years.
Nice one Jamie, good call, I'm sure the MrsBoy will love it
Yes the oil will of course be different' got the same with the XJ/XF
I use the Adblu from Screwfix, have done for years and works well, no issues

And a picture....

View attachment 53199

Obviously unwashed, just for Mac_Dcotor's benefit
A pic or half a pic of a red car, one that looks suspiciously clean if you ask me lol
Nice.

So with the Adblue, could I pour from a 10l container into the tank with a funnel, or does it really need some sort of fancy adapter.
No fancy adapter needed Jamie, although I wouldn't pour from the 10 litre container, glug glug glug and all that
I decant into a litre pouring jug and fill from there, means I can keep track of how much I'm adding as well
The XF has a 17 litre capacity tank, and you can work on "approx" 500 miles to a litre, so full would be around 8500 miles.
For me , if it's saying 1500 miles left until refill required, I can quite confidently fill with 10 litres, slowly and know all will be well

Jim

·
Administrator
9,764 Posts
Where does it say how many miles of Adblue left?
On the early XE, it didn't tell you! The menu's all changed on 17MY and had the better graphics for the info display giving a mileage countdown.

You just got the warning when it was getting near to refill.

SDD will tell you more accurately though. On later models for the ingenium diesel it even tells you in the remote app.

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts
On the early XE, it didn't tell you! The menu's all changed on 17MY and had the better graphics for the info display giving a mileage countdown.

SDD will tell you more accurately though. On later models for the ingenium diesel it even tells you in the remote app.
Yep, that's how we find out ours

Jim

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks, thats useful info, and I'll stop searching for it now.

I'm assuming it gives plenty of warning that it needs more?

Reactions: mac_doctor

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
11,727 Posts

If it's anything like my Jag it will be a blaring red light when it is too late to do anything about it, as something important has just overflowed/ fallen off/ worn out.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts

Remember not to overfill with AdBlue as it can cause problems and is mentioned in the Handbook and i've heard that filling with a Funnel can result in getting an airlock.

Reactions: TheBoy

·
Administrator
9,764 Posts

It’ll come up with a warning saying “diesel exhaust fluid *** miles till no restarts”. Will keep counting down till you top up or run out.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Remember not to overfill with AdBlue as it can cause problems and is mentioned in the Handbook and i've heard that filling with a Funnel can result in getting an airlock.
Thanks. Not quite sure why a funnel would cause an airlock but using the JLR supplied bottles won't. Dealer scare tactics I suspect.

There are no warnings I can see in the online handbook about overfilling, but obviously the environment in the boot is not the best place to keep the fluid in good condition.

The Screwfix (for local convenience) are 10l, so I'll prob wait for the message, then chuck in all 10l, unless someone says thats a daft idea?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It’ll come up with a warning saying “diesel exhaust fluid *** miles till no restarts”. Will keep counting down till you top up or run out.

Reactions: Ian D

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts
Thanks. Not quite sure why a funnel would cause an airlock but using the JLR supplied bottles won't. Dealer scare tactics I suspect.

There are no warnings I can see in the online handbook about overfilling, but obviously the environment in the boot is not the best place to keep the fluid in good condition.

The Screwfix (for local convenience) are 10l, so I'll prob wait for the message, then chuck in all 10l, unless someone says thats a daft idea?
No issues with using funnel Jamie

DO NOT overfill, will cause issues £££
the message will likely be 1500 miles till no start condition or similar plenty of warning

With a 17 litre tank (check - thats what the XF is ) and based on 500 miles per litre approx, addind 10 litres once the message comes should be fine.

Just go canny

Jim

1 - 20 of 123 Posts