Jaguar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
11,695 Posts
I'll have you know, I've yet to have it properly sideways, only wee little waggles at the back.

I must say, I do like the chassis on it, gives great feedback to the driver. I know the XJ is a totally different beast, but I have missed that with the XJ...
Ian was a great fan of his XE, too.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Completely failing to find aftermarket shocks, and my local dealer is being a bit tight with the discounts on offer :(

Does anyone know of a source for aftermarket rear shocks?

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
I take it your left rear is leaking then?!

I got mine from David Manners at just over £150 each.

I doubt you'll find non OEM.

Reactions: TheBoy and JimC64

·
Registered
517 Posts
Do Bilstein do them? I got Bilsteins for my XF, I know it's a different car, but they may have replacement unit. Unfortunately like a lot of parts, some of the suspension is just Jag only.

Reactions: TheBoy

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

Thats about what I can get my local dealer to drop them to. And they ain't budging any further :(

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Do Bilstein do them? I got Bilsteins for my XF, I know it's a different car, but they may have replacement unit. Unfortunately like a lot of parts, some of the suspension is just Jag only.
Can't find them in the Bilstein catalogue. The OEM manufacturer is a company that now owns Monroe, but Monroe don't list anything either. Nor do Sach/ZF.

So looks like I'll have to accept my local dealer's offer :(

• Sad
Reactions: mac_doctor

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

Oh, just looked up David Manners, they are selling at RRP, so £151 each plus VAT. My dealer is a bit cheaper then :)

·
Premium Member
16,585 Posts
Oh, just looked up David Manners, they are selling at RRP, so £151 each plus VAT. My dealer is a bit cheaper then :)
Get it bought, spend some money Jamie, free the bats ;)

Jim

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Get it bought, spend some money Jamie, free the bats ;)

Jim
Yup, I only delayed whilst I did a bit more searching around. But seems only available from Jaguar. A point of principle I wasn't going to pay full price though, LOL. Now trying to get them ordered, but can't even get the pointless dolly bird on reception to answer the bloody phone, let alone get through to parts. Did I mention, I hate dealers.

There are a few more bits that need sorting on it, but slowly getting through them. Most of it service stuff, as its been touched by too many dealers. So everything needs checking over. The shocks aren't desperate - my MOT man said they were leaking, but still working well, which I think surprised him given how bad they looked. So much so, he took it for a quick drive afterwards to see if they were OK on the road, away from the artificial environment of an MOT. But given as I send her up the M40 every day in it, thats the sort of thing I want sorted before they stop working.

Couple of remaining niggles causing dash lights. I have a new EGR filter, just need to get round to changing it. And have an oddity with an intermittent airbag light, where I think the diags gear is telling me porkies.

Exhaust sounds a bit sporty, but neither I or the MOT man can find a blow, so that might warranty further investigation as well, but is further down the list.

·
Super Moderator
6,366 Posts
Reactions: MrKis

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
This of any interest?
Thanks. I had contacted him a week or so ago, but he only has one, and is unsure how long its been sat around. Obviously these need replacing in pairs, so I've now ordered a pair from my dealer, which they are ordering in, so hopefully they will be similarly aged.

I might get the joys of fitting them this weekend, if I'm not too broken from looking at the suspension on a mate's Morgan on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Thanks. I had contacted him a week or so ago, but he only has one, and is unsure how long its been sat around. Obviously these need replacing in pairs, so I've now ordered a pair from my dealer, which they are ordering in, so hopefully they will be similarly aged.

I might get the joys of fitting them this weekend, if I'm not too broken from looking at the suspension on a mate's Morgan on Saturday.
I replaced mine a few months ago and they are pretty straight forward once you get behind the wheel arch liner for the upper mounts (two bolts through an alloy casting into the chassis). Once off the car easy enough to swap the upper mounts over. Those bolts were 'kin tight mind you!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I replaced mine a few months ago and they are pretty straight forward once you get behind the wheel arch liner for the upper mounts (two bolts through an alloy casting into the chassis). Once off the car easy enough to swap the upper mounts over. Those bolts were 'kin tight mind you!
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I have TOPix to hand if I can't work it out, but rear shocks are normally straightforward if the bolts come undone without shearing.

I want to do the EGR filter first, so see how time goes after that. All day tomorrow, I'm underneath an old ash tree (Morgan) trying to work out what has gone wrong with the suspension on that since the owner replaced the springs... ...so praying my back holds out for the entire weekend.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Did the EGR filter, hit a snag on the way, when the small bolt holding the MAP elbow in place sheared. Got a mate to pop over with some left hand drill bits, but still couldn't get it out, so we drilled and tapped it to M4.

Had to abandon shocks, as this car is suffering the usual Jag wheel nut problem, so will get some more before I wreck these ones removing them.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Did the EGR filter, hit a snag on the way, when the small bolt holding the MAP elbow in place sheared. Got a mate to pop over with some left hand drill bits, but still couldn't get it out, so we drilled and tapped it to M4.

Had to abandon shocks, as this car is suffering the usual Jag wheel nut problem, so will get some more before I wreck these ones removing them.
Presumably you'll be fitting the Toyota (I think) ones and doing away with the lockers? There are a few threads on here discussing them and recommending replacements. I think I paid about £30 of the bay of evil for a set of 20.

I have and I think I did it just in time. The ones I took of were in pretty poor condition.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
The locking ones are fine, its the other tat JLR fit. I just received a set of 21 (don't ask) for £30, so that will keep the XE and XJ good for a while longer yet.

Reactions: RWD3M

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Race car stripped now, fully prepped for Santa Pod.
With a rather gutless 160bhp, it needs far more weight shedding that that before I'd do a Run What Y'Brung there.

But your post made me laugh, so thanks, as this shock saga was starting to upset me....

....esp when there is nothing wrong with the shock that got the advisory (and a quiet word to change ASAP)

Reactions: Ian D
61 - 80 of 122 Posts