Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,044 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,977 Posts
I worry about our JimC64.... 🤣
Lol that makes two of us Jamie
When they are all wearing skirts? Of course there is!
You love a man in a kilt really Chris lol
Its a bit like the I don't watch the Kardashians vibe you've got going on......I believe you, honestly

Jim

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Is there a step by step guide to enable automatic high beam? I assume, despite being a base model, everything is in place, as it has the cameras for lane departure and speed sign recognition?

I have full SDD/TOPix access.

·
Administrator
9,866 Posts
Is there a step by step guide to enable automatic high beam? I assume, despite being a base model, everything is in place, as it has the cameras for lane departure and speed sign recognition?

I have full SDD/TOPix access.
Do you have xenon or halogen headlights?

It can be activated yes. Just need to add the option within engineering mode and firmware update the IPMA.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
What is this automatic high beam of which you speak? I'm intrigued :)

·
Administrator
9,866 Posts
What is this automatic high beam of which you speak? I'm intrigued :)
AHBA, switches on the high beam automatically in certain conditions. Above a certain speed and if no oncoming cars are detected or cars with a certain distance infront. If it does, it automatically then switches them off. In my XF with the LED headlights, its pretty much instant to on/off.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Do you have xenon or halogen headlights?

It can be activated yes. Just need to add the option within engineering mode and firmware update the IPMA.
Halogen.

Do you have a step by step guide, or is it literally a go into engineering mode, and its one of the questions it asks you?

Its an early base spec car, does it have an IPMA?

·
Administrator
9,866 Posts
Halogen.

Do you have a step by step guide, or is it literally a go into engineering mode, and its one of the questions it asks you?

Its an early base spec car, does it have an IPMA?
Ah, may not work with halogen. Was on xenon for the XE and the LED headlights on XF. It's just changing a metal plate in the headlight for the xenon headlights as it's just the same bulb. The LED version just switches on/off extra LEDs.

You could give it a try and see if it works. The IPMA is the stereo camera at the top centre of the windscreen, it's used for a few things such as speed signs, lane departure warning (you could activate lane keep assist for that and driver drowsy monitor) and Auto High Beam Assist. I also selected as it's a free option, winter wiper park, but you may have that if you don't have a front heated screen, but I find it useful for replacing the wiper blades or even just cleaning the windscreen.

Go into engineering mode, I have a key generator that can provide the password to unlock it if you don't. Then you need go down the list and find the options you wish to unlock, then let the car update itself to have those options available. Then re-scan the car and update the IPMA, it'll then allow you to select those options by ticking them, go test if they work. I'm really not sure if halogen can do it though.

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,044 Posts
AHBA was a right royal pain on my Portfolio: it was too quick to act and it was like sitting behind a disco strobe. It is better in the Autobiography.

·
Premium Member
2007 X350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel
5,707 Posts
AHBA was a right royal pain on my Portfolio: it was too quick to act and it was like sitting behind a disco strobe. It is better in the Autobiography.
It's a terrible invention - I have been close to crashing on more than one occasion on unlit roads by cars using this 'system' because it doesn't react properly and it's blinding, especially on Range Rover type trucks. On an unlit road it's far better to dip well in advance as soon as you can see oncoming lights. This gives both drivers the time to adjust to the lack of high beam when passing each other, assuming they both know how to drive. The selfish gits who can't be bothered with such a menial task as dipping their headlights aren't the ones likely to crash are they?

·
Administrator
9,866 Posts
It's a terrible invention - I have been close to crashing on more than one occasion on unlit roads by cars using this 'system' because it doesn't react properly and it's blinding, especially on Range Rover type trucks. On an unlit road it's far better to dip well in advance as soon as you can see oncoming lights. This gives both drivers the time to adjust to the lack of high beam when passing each other, assuming they both know how to drive. The selfish gits who can't be bothered with such a menial task as dipping their headlights aren't the ones likely to crash are they?
I think it reacts pretty rapidly on my XF with the LED headlights, it turns off an area of the headlight pattern, technically there’s no dip as there isn’t a bulb and makes a much wider pattern. Detects oncoming traffic and goes off straight away. It’s nice not having to worry about switching on/off full beam on a long night journey and can just concentrate on the drive.

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,044 Posts
I have a foot in both camps: in the Portfolio I hated it, and thought that it was a really stupid invention. In the Autobiography I leave it on all the time (like the auto lights, auto windscreen wipers and the aircon) and I haven't noticed any issues at all. It tends to use high beam more than I would in town, but it is much faster than I am on dark motorways and country roads.

·
Premium Member
16,977 Posts
I have a foot in both camps: in the Portfolio I hated it, and thought that it was a really stupid invention. In the Autobiography I leave it on all the time (like the auto lights, auto windscreen wipers and the aircon) and I haven't noticed any issues at all. It tends to use high beam more than I would in town, but it is much faster than I am on dark motorways and country roads.
Lol nothing to do with Portfolio or Autobiography Mac, more to do with 2010 version v 2017 version

I quite like it myself, only marginally slower than I would be, but acceptable and works quite well I think

Jim

·
Administrator
9,866 Posts
Lol nothing to do with Portfolio or Autobiography Mac, more to do with 2010 version v 2017 version

I quite like it myself, only marginally slower than I would be, but acceptable and works quite well I think

Jim
Yep spot on, its more like xenon vs LED rather than anything trim related.

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,044 Posts
I knew that. I tend to use the/my Portfolio and Autobiography as shorthand for 2011 & 2017, because those were the versions of those years' cars of which I have experience.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Yep spot on, its more like xenon vs LED rather than anything trim related.
The Xenon thing wouldn't make any difference, as its not turning the bulb on or off, simply moving a shutter, which is pretty instantaneous. The difference is in the processing electronics, as the older ones can't see a car at 100 paces!

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
AHBA, switches on the high beam automatically in certain conditions. Above a certain speed and if no oncoming cars are detected or cars with a certain distance infront. If it does, it automatically then switches them off. In my XF with the LED headlights, its pretty much instant to on/off.
Ah, ok. Do you know if my bi-xenon equipped, 2017 Portfolio should have it?

·
Administrator
9,866 Posts
Ah, ok. Do you know if my bi-xenon equipped, 2017 Portfolio should have it?
Auto high beam assist was an optional extra on all models that had xenon headlights on the XE.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts